Help with NTBACKUP..... - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Help with NTBACKUP..... - Windows NT ; Hi, Please could you advise a newbie? I am tring to implement a nightly backup using ntbackup but I am having numerous problems. These problems all result in the backup log displaying various errors all relating to the media. I ...

  1. Help with NTBACKUP.....

    Hi,

    Please could you advise a newbie? I am tring to implement a nightly
    backup using ntbackup but I am having numerous problems. These
    problems all result in the backup log displaying various errors all
    relating to the media. I have seen all of the following at some point
    or another in the process of troubleshooting:

    "The backup was not performed because no storage media was specified"

    "The backup was not performed because the specified media cannot be
    found"

    "The backup was not performed because no unused media was available"

    There are 2 of us trying to troubleshoot this so I cannot be sure what
    changes resulted in each of these errors but we're obviously doing
    something wrong!

    All media has been prepared prior to its first use. At one time, we
    had it that the first time a new tape was used, the backup would run
    once but then would not work the next night. Please see below the
    relevant part of the batch file. (I have not included the whole thing
    as the other parts have to do with copying and mailing the logs which
    I think is irrelevant to our current problem).

    C:\WINNT\system32\NTBACKUP.EXE backup "@C:\Documents and
    Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\Daily Backup.bks" /n "NTSERVER
    Backup" /d "NTSERVER Backup" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hcn /m normal /j
    "Daily Backup" /l:s

    I have also tried including the switches /p "4mm DDS" on its own and
    /p "4mm DDS" with /um. Neither works.

    Please could someone help? I am quite new to this and its taken me
    long enough already so I'm very hopeful.

    Thank you in advance for your help.

  2. Re: Help with NTBACKUP.....

    This may help - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=314844
    --
    http://www.firestreamer.com - NTBackup to DVD and DV

    Rafael wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Please could you advise a newbie? I am tring to implement a nightly
    > backup using ntbackup but I am having numerous problems. These
    > problems all result in the backup log displaying various errors all
    > relating to the media. I have seen all of the following at some point
    > or another in the process of troubleshooting:
    >
    > "The backup was not performed because no storage media was specified"
    >
    > "The backup was not performed because the specified media cannot be
    > found"
    >
    > "The backup was not performed because no unused media was available"
    >
    > There are 2 of us trying to troubleshoot this so I cannot be sure

    what
    > changes resulted in each of these errors but we're obviously doing
    > something wrong!
    >
    > All media has been prepared prior to its first use. At one time, we
    > had it that the first time a new tape was used, the backup would run
    > once but then would not work the next night. Please see below the
    > relevant part of the batch file. (I have not included the whole

    thing
    > as the other parts have to do with copying and mailing the logs which
    > I think is irrelevant to our current problem).
    >
    > C:\WINNT\system32\NTBACKUP.EXE backup "@C:\Documents and
    > Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application
    > Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\Daily Backup.bks" /n

    "NTSERVER
    > Backup" /d "NTSERVER Backup" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hcn /m normal /j
    > "Daily Backup" /l:s
    >
    > I have also tried including the switches /p "4mm DDS" on its own and
    > /p "4mm DDS" with /um. Neither works.
    >
    > Please could someone help? I am quite new to this and its taken me
    > long enough already so I'm very hopeful.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help.

+ Reply to Thread