service pack 2 pagefile problem - Windows NT

This is a discussion on service pack 2 pagefile problem - Windows NT ; hi i hope im posting in the right place. this is my first time using these boards. i hope i can get answers here that i cannot get out of microsoft. I installed sp2 on my winxp professional a few ...

  1. service pack 2 pagefile problem

    hi
    i hope im posting in the right place. this is my first time using
    these boards. i hope i can get answers here that i cannot get out of
    microsoft.

    I installed sp2 on my winxp professional a few months ago. Everything
    worked great except the pagefile.
    Before the update, I had set my pagefile on an external harddisk (F
    rather than C: because i get an extra 4000rpm out of it and assumed
    things would run faster. No problems there.
    After the update, I could no longer set my pagefile on any of my
    external drives no matter what I tried. It was determined to set it on
    C:
    This made programs run noticeably slower, besides the fact that I only
    had 500mb left as a result.
    I thought this must be some fault with sp2 so i uninstalled it and was
    able to go back to my previous pagefile configuration.

    Recently however, my network setup wizard had disappered off my pc and
    there was no way for me to setup internet configuration sharing. out
    of desperation, I installed sp2 once again as i half knew it has new
    network wizards. and it turns out that way- my network setup wizard
    works once again.
    but the pagefile problem returned.

    I have tried:
    manually setting pagefile path and size in the registry
    taking ownership of the root directory/whole drive
    giving pagefile creation rights to ALL users in Local Policy, User
    Rights Assignment
    calling microsoft (said they dont recognise my cdkey..but my windows
    came with my laptop?! and therefore they WONT help.)
    created new partition specifically for pagefile

    None of the above works.

    Whats interesting is the folder ive set windows to place the pagefile
    in gets modified everytime i reboot/startup windows. but its always
    empty when i check it. (my explorer shows all system files and hidden
    files)

    suggestions much appreciated.
    thank you

  2. Re: service pack 2 pagefile problem

    yellowchilli@gmail.com wrote:

    >Whats interesting is the folder ive set windows to place the pagefile
    >in gets modified everytime i reboot/startup windows. but its always
    >empty when i check it. (my explorer shows all system files and hidden
    >files)

    This is rather odd. After a forced reinstall in October I used a brand
    new CD with SP2 "onboard". I could still use my preferred pagefile
    distribution: none on the primary disk, three slices with 1 GB each on
    three other drives (internal). It seems like something is very wrong
    with your installation in general.

    On the other hand, you can't put the pagefile into a folder. It has to
    sit in the root directory of the disk.

    JK'05

  3. Re: service pack 2 pagefile problem

    o but i can.
    thats what ive been doing before SP2 and it works just fine.
    anyway i am sure putting the pagefile in a folder ISNT the cause of the
    problem as i have since created a new partition specifically for the
    pagefile and have told windows to just put it in the root directory.

  4. Re: service pack 2 pagefile problem

    yellowchilli@gmail.com wrote:

    >o but i can.
    >thats what ive been doing before SP2 and it works just fine.

    Of course. That's why Windows offers no option to do something as
    useless as is this except messing with the registry. If you do things
    like that, I'm not surprised your system is botched.

    >anyway i am sure putting the pagefile in a folder ISNT the cause of the
    >problem as i have since created a new partition specifically for the
    >pagefile and have told windows to just put it in the root directory.

    No offense intended (though I think you'll take some) but in my opinion
    the reason is your really weird mucking about with Windows settings. If
    you edit the registry to put the pagefile in a folder, what else have
    you done because you thought it to be really smart? I'm out of this
    discussion, here's nothing to reach.

    JK'05

  5. Re: service pack 2 pagefile problem

    right...you do that.