why restart a Windows PC to use installed software? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on why restart a Windows PC to use installed software? - Windows NT ; Many programs that one installs on a computer running Windows XP say that the computer must be rebooted before the program can be used. But closing all your programs, rebooting, and then restarting them is time-consuming. Why the requirement to ...

  1. why restart a Windows PC to use installed software?

    Many programs that one installs on a computer running Windows XP say
    that the computer must be rebooted before the program can be used. But
    closing all your programs, rebooting, and then restarting them is
    time-consuming.

    Why the requirement to reboot?

  2. Re: why restart a Windows PC to use installed software?

    wrote in message
    news:1105829423.163646.43150@c13g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Many programs that one installs on a computer running Windows XP say
    > that the computer must be rebooted before the program can be used. But
    > closing all your programs, rebooting, and then restarting them is
    > time-consuming.
    >
    > Why the requirement to reboot?

    Because some program make changes to the registry and/or
    install services that require a reboot to become effective. MS
    are getting better at this all the time: Under Win9x, you had
    to reboot your PC for every minor modification to the network
    settings. Under Win2000/XP, most of these mods can be
    performed on the fly.

  3. Re: why restart a Windows PC to use installed software?

    > > Many programs that one installs on a computer running Windows XP say
    > > that the computer must be rebooted before the program can be used. But
    > > closing all your programs, rebooting, and then restarting them is
    > > time-consuming.
    > >
    > > Why the requirement to reboot?
    > >

    > Because some program make changes to the registry and/or
    > install services that require a reboot to become effective.

    For example; if you run apache as a service, the service will start on boot.
    (although it is possible to start manually) - hence to start apache, the
    easiest way (for non-techies) is to reboot.

    Example 2: if a install makes changes to path - for example Java - prior to
    a restart I don't think the path gets updated...

+ Reply to Thread