Disk problems. Advice needed. - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Disk problems. Advice needed. - Windows NT ; Hi all I'd appreciate some advice on the following: I've become the volunteer computer support person for a private school where my partner is the manager. They have a second hand Dell GX110 for a server running Windows NT 4 ...

  1. Disk problems. Advice needed.

    Hi all

    I'd appreciate some advice on the following: I've become the volunteer
    computer support person for a private school where my partner is the
    manager. They have a second hand Dell GX110 for a server running
    Windows NT 4 and Exchange 5.5. They have about 7 client machines. The
    server has two IDE disks, 5 Gb for C: and D: and 30 Gb for H:

    We've started having disk errors on the 30 Gb disk where most of the
    data is. When it happens, CHKDSK /F fixes a few problems, usually by
    deleting the files which I then restore from backup. It seems to be
    getting worse so last weekend I run CHKDSK /R and it marked more blocks
    as bad. After that, CHKDSK reported no errors even after restoring
    1000's of files. Until today. There are now more logical errors which
    I've repaired with CHKDSK /F. I haven't had time to run /R but if I
    did, I suspect it would find and mark more bad blocks.

    Is this a sure sign of the disk failing? I'm ready to replace the disk.
    People are getting frustrated with the problems and although money is
    pretty tight, they've said that they will buy a new server if they
    really have to just to get a reliable system. $1500 or so would buy a
    nice entry level Dell server with Windows 2003 Small Business Server.
    But ... other than these problems, the current server seems to suffice.

    My advice right now is install a new disk. I've already bought, but not
    opened, a 120 GB Western Digital from Best Buy for $49.95 after rebate.
    My nervousness is that I don't want to prolong the agony and find that
    we still have problems. Is there is any real possibility that its the
    controller or something else? Luckily, Exchange seems to have escaped
    damage so far. I assume that because its few big data files are on an
    area of the disk that is still good.

    These problems started happening mostly after a few power cuts. Until a
    week ago, they didn't have a UPS. They do now but the latest corruption
    has happened since the UPS was installed.

    I've rambled on enough. To me, everything points to the disk
    progressively failing.

    Is there anything I'm overlooking or should check in order to fix this
    asap.

    Thanks in advance
    Ross

  2. Re: Disk problems. Advice needed.

    tetranz wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I'd appreciate some advice on the following: I've become the volunteer
    > computer support person for a private school where my partner is the
    > manager. They have a second hand Dell GX110 for a server running
    > Windows NT 4 and Exchange 5.5. They have about 7 client machines. The
    > server has two IDE disks, 5 Gb for C: and D: and 30 Gb for H:
    >
    > We've started having disk errors on the 30 Gb disk where most of the
    > data is. When it happens, CHKDSK /F fixes a few problems, usually by
    > deleting the files which I then restore from backup. It seems to be
    > getting worse so last weekend I run CHKDSK /R and it marked more blocks
    > as bad. After that, CHKDSK reported no errors even after restoring
    > 1000's of files. Until today. There are now more logical errors which
    > I've repaired with CHKDSK /F. I haven't had time to run /R but if I
    > did, I suspect it would find and mark more bad blocks.
    >
    > Is this a sure sign of the disk failing? I'm ready to replace the disk.
    > People are getting frustrated with the problems and although money is
    > pretty tight, they've said that they will buy a new server if they
    > really have to just to get a reliable system. $1500 or so would buy a
    > nice entry level Dell server with Windows 2003 Small Business Server.
    > But ... other than these problems, the current server seems to suffice.
    >
    > My advice right now is install a new disk. I've already bought, but not
    > opened, a 120 GB Western Digital from Best Buy for $49.95 after rebate.
    > My nervousness is that I don't want to prolong the agony and find that
    > we still have problems. Is there is any real possibility that its the
    > controller or something else? Luckily, Exchange seems to have escaped
    > damage so far. I assume that because its few big data files are on an
    > area of the disk that is still good.
    >
    > These problems started happening mostly after a few power cuts. Until a
    > week ago, they didn't have a UPS. They do now but the latest corruption
    > has happened since the UPS was installed.
    >
    > I've rambled on enough. To me, everything points to the disk
    > progressively failing.
    >
    > Is there anything I'm overlooking or should check in order to fix this
    > asap.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Ross

    Nice detailed post - good job!

    IMHO you've made the right call. Given your efforts so far, the
    probability of the problem *not* being the disk is quite low, therefore
    spend $50 on a new disk that will very likely solve the problem, not
    $1500 on a new server that's guaranteed (or at least warrantied) to fix it.

    In the unlikely event the problems continue after installing the new
    disk, you can always use it in a new server.

    HTH

    Sunny

  3. Re: Disk problems. Advice needed.

    "tetranz" wrote in message
    news:1105675991.521656.243690@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi all
    >
    > I'd appreciate some advice on the following: I've become the volunteer
    > computer support person for a private school where my partner is the
    > manager. They have a second hand Dell GX110 for a server running
    > Windows NT 4 and Exchange 5.5. They have about 7 client machines. The
    > server has two IDE disks, 5 Gb for C: and D: and 30 Gb for H:
    >
    > We've started having disk errors on the 30 Gb disk where most of the
    > data is. When it happens, CHKDSK /F fixes a few problems, usually by
    > deleting the files which I then restore from backup. It seems to be
    > getting worse so last weekend I run CHKDSK /R and it marked more blocks
    > as bad. After that, CHKDSK reported no errors even after restoring
    > 1000's of files. Until today. There are now more logical errors which
    > I've repaired with CHKDSK /F. I haven't had time to run /R but if I
    > did, I suspect it would find and mark more bad blocks.
    >
    > Is this a sure sign of the disk failing? I'm ready to replace the disk.
    > People are getting frustrated with the problems and although money is
    > pretty tight, they've said that they will buy a new server if they
    > really have to just to get a reliable system. $1500 or so would buy a
    > nice entry level Dell server with Windows 2003 Small Business Server.
    > But ... other than these problems, the current server seems to suffice.
    >
    > My advice right now is install a new disk. I've already bought, but not
    > opened, a 120 GB Western Digital from Best Buy for $49.95 after rebate.
    > My nervousness is that I don't want to prolong the agony and find that
    > we still have problems. Is there is any real possibility that its the
    > controller or something else? Luckily, Exchange seems to have escaped
    > damage so far. I assume that because its few big data files are on an
    > area of the disk that is still good.
    >
    > These problems started happening mostly after a few power cuts. Until a
    > week ago, they didn't have a UPS. They do now but the latest corruption
    > has happened since the UPS was installed.
    >
    > I've rambled on enough. To me, everything points to the disk
    > progressively failing.
    >
    > Is there anything I'm overlooking or should check in order to fix this
    > asap.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Ross

    When you have a bad block then you run for cover as fast as
    you can. In other words: There is absolutely no point in trying
    to fix the problem, especially with a server. Replace the disk
    while you can - its cost is miniscule compared to the time you
    spend in trying to restore damaged files (even when you're
    volunteering!).

  4. Re: Disk problems. Advice needed.

    Thanks for the replies. I replaced the disk today and all looks good so
    far.

    Cheers
    Ross

+ Reply to Thread