NTFS - System files... - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NTFS - System files... - Windows NT ; When I format a volume using NTFS various system files are created..... (MFT, MFT2, Log......) Am I correct in saying that the physical position, of these files, on the disk is undefined? Thus, if I format a disk with data ...

  1. NTFS - System files...

    When I format a volume using NTFS various system files are created.....
    (MFT, MFT2, Log......)

    Am I correct in saying that the physical position, of these files, on the
    disk is undefined?

    Thus, if I format a disk with data on it, the only data 'actually'
    destroyed[1] is that, that happens to be in the 'random' locations in which
    the system files are written too?

    Thanks,

    Ben

    [1]By destroyed, I mean destroyed to a laymen (myself included) - I
    understand that they can still recover files in the lab that have been
    overwritten.

  2. Re: NTFS - System files...

    "bensmyth" wrote in message
    > When I format a volume using NTFS various system files are created.....
    > (MFT, MFT2, Log......)
    >
    > Am I correct in saying that the physical position, of these files, on the
    > disk is undefined?
    >
    > Thus, if I format a disk with data on it, the only data 'actually'
    > destroyed[1] is that, that happens to be in the 'random' locations in

    which
    > the system files are written too?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > [1]By destroyed, I mean destroyed to a laymen (myself included) - I
    > understand that they can still recover files in the lab that have been
    > overwritten.

    Windows NT/2000/XP does not care about the physical location
    of the various system system/boot files, as long as the logical location
    is correct.
    or boot files are located on the di

+ Reply to Thread