Help with Proxy Server for Windows - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Help with Proxy Server for Windows - Windows NT ; Hello to all: At home I have a Linksys broadband gateway/router connected to Comcast. I want to set up a proxy server at home to redirect some external web traffic through a port on the box, then back out on ...

  1. Help with Proxy Server for Windows

    Hello to all:

    At home I have a Linksys broadband gateway/router connected to Comcast.
    I want to set up a proxy server at home to redirect some external web
    traffic through a port on the box, then back out on port 80. It currently
    has one NIC card, but I can add a second. It is a P2, 233 Mhz, 64 Meg
    RAM. The internal network is 192.168.1.x

    I started trying to configure it under Debian Linux with Squid but have
    been having a really frusterating time getting Squid properly configured,
    so I am now looking at any/all free, legit (i.e. non spyware-laden)
    Windows proxy servers for NT4, 2k or XP (I OS media for all three).

    The Windows box will be dedicated to simply listening on one port from the
    outside (the Linksys gateway will take care of the port forwarding to this
    Windows box) and redirecting the traffic to port 80 going back out.

    The Windows box will be blocked from receiving traffic on any other port.

    Thanks for any guidance/recommendations/pointers.

    Scott

  2. Re: Help with Proxy Server for Windows

    "Scott Ehrlich" wrote in message

    > Hello to all:
    >
    > At home I have a Linksys broadband gateway/router connected to Comcast.
    > I want to set up a proxy server at home to redirect some external web
    > traffic through a port on the box, then back out on port 80. It currently
    > has one NIC card, but I can add a second. It is a P2, 233 Mhz, 64 Meg
    > RAM. The internal network is 192.168.1.x
    >
    > I started trying to configure it under Debian Linux with Squid but have
    > been having a really frusterating time getting Squid properly configured,
    > so I am now looking at any/all free, legit (i.e. non spyware-laden)
    > Windows proxy servers for NT4, 2k or XP (I OS media for all three).
    >
    > The Windows box will be dedicated to simply listening on one port from the
    > outside (the Linksys gateway will take care of the port forwarding to this
    > Windows box) and redirecting the traffic to port 80 going back out.
    >
    > The Windows box will be blocked from receiving traffic on any other port.
    >
    > Thanks for any guidance/recommendations/pointers.
    >
    > Scott

    http://www.software602.com/products/ls/
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm
    http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/

  3. Re: Help with Proxy Server for Windows

    On 02 Jan 2005 15:47:58 GMT, scott@mit.edu (Scott Ehrlich) wrote:

    >Hello to all:
    >
    >At home I have a Linksys broadband gateway/router connected to Comcast.
    >I want to set up a proxy server at home to redirect some external web
    >traffic through a port on the box, then back out on port 80. It currently
    >has one NIC card, but I can add a second. It is a P2, 233 Mhz, 64 Meg
    >RAM. The internal network is 192.168.1.x
    >
    >I started trying to configure it under Debian Linux with Squid but have
    >been having a really frusterating time getting Squid properly configured,
    >so I am now looking at any/all free, legit (i.e. non spyware-laden)
    >Windows proxy servers for NT4, 2k or XP (I OS media for all three).
    >
    >The Windows box will be dedicated to simply listening on one port from the
    >outside (the Linksys gateway will take care of the port forwarding to this
    >Windows box) and redirecting the traffic to port 80 going back out.
    >
    >The Windows box will be blocked from receiving traffic on any other port.
    >
    >Thanks for any guidance/recommendations/pointers.
    >
    >Scott

    Hi Scott,

    I don't understand why you neeed the proxy, whoever, you will need to
    have statefull packet programing. In other words to stop other
    machines from using just the linksys to surf with you have to close
    that abilitity. Each machine will have to a proxy configuration in
    their browser say to ip 192.168.1.5 as your proxy. Then open port 80
    to the outside only from ip 1.5. I don't think that is possible with
    the linksys BFR41 family. Hope this helps. -B

+ Reply to Thread