autoexec.nt in windows/system32 file deleting itself at shut down - Windows NT

This is a discussion on autoexec.nt in windows/system32 file deleting itself at shut down - Windows NT ; The file "autoexec.nt" in the C:\windows\system32 directory erases itself after each shut down or re-boot. I need this file to run an important dos program. After each boot up or re-start I have to copy and paste this file from ...

  1. autoexec.nt in windows/system32 file deleting itself at shut down

    The file "autoexec.nt" in the C:\windows\system32 directory erases
    itself after each shut down or re-boot. I need this file to run an
    important dos program. After each boot up or re-start I have to copy
    and paste this file from the c:\I386 file and paste into the
    C:\windows\system32 folder and then the dos application runs ok.
    Otherwise, after boot or re-start and I try to access the dos program I
    get an error box that reads: "C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The file
    system is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows
    applications. Choose close to termninate the application."

    What is can be done to correct this situation? How did it start all of
    sudden? I have run xp home edidtion for over a year without a problem
    running dos applications unitl a week ago.

  2. Re: autoexec.nt in windows/system32 file deleting itself at shut down

    "bill" wrote in message
    news:1104636430.407364.18200@z14g2000cwz.googlegro ups.com...
    > The file "autoexec.nt" in the C:\windows\system32 directory erases
    > itself after each shut down or re-boot. I need this file to run an
    > important dos program. After each boot up or re-start I have to copy
    > and paste this file from the c:\I386 file and paste into the
    > C:\windows\system32 folder and then the dos application runs ok.
    > Otherwise, after boot or re-start and I try to access the dos program I
    > get an error box that reads: "C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The file
    > system is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows
    > applications. Choose close to termninate the application."
    >
    > What is can be done to correct this situation? How did it start all of
    > sudden? I have run xp home edidtion for over a year without a problem
    > running dos applications unitl a week ago.

    I don't know if and why autoexec.nt should erase or recreate itself
    but I suspect that you can easily walk around the problem: Create
    a task under the Task Scheduler that copies ***your*** version of
    this file into the system32 folder at start time.

  3. Re: autoexec.nt in windows/system32 file deleting itself at shut down

    "bill" wrote in
    news:1104636430.407364.18200@z14g2000cwz.googlegro ups.com:

    > The file "autoexec.nt" in the C:\windows\system32 directory erases
    > itself after each shut down or re-boot.

    I believe there's a virus which messes with autoexec.nt, as does some
    adware/spyware.

+ Reply to Thread