how to invoke a series of long running commands in the background and at a low priority _clb_ - Windows NT

This is a discussion on how to invoke a series of long running commands in the background and at a low priority _clb_ - Windows NT ; Hi... I'm not a DOS .bat file expert, but (perhaps foolishly) I'm stil trying to do something a bit tricky... I want to run (under windows XP) a series of long running commands in the background and at a low ...

  1. how to invoke a series of long running commands in the background and at a low priority _clb_

    Hi...

    I'm not a DOS .bat file expert, but (perhaps foolishly) I'm stil trying
    to do something a bit tricky...

    I want to run (under windows XP) a series of long running commands in
    the background and at a low priority (so as not to slow down my
    foreground tasks). I want to capture the output of the execution of
    this series of commands in a file. The commands are themselves .bat
    files (scripts).

    My problem is that the 'launch in the background at low priority'
    script that I created 'hangs' after each statement... it only continues
    if i manually type 'exit' for however many statements i am trying to
    execute in the script.

    Example...>>>

    For simplicity, let say i have a script 'replay.bat' in d:\temp that i
    want to run twice with different argumetns.

    d:\temp\replay.bat:
    echo replaying %1

    The best i could come up with for a
    'launch in the background at low priority' script is as follows:

    d:\temp\launchThem.bat
    start /B /w /BELOWNORMAL d:\temp\replay do-first
    start /B /w /BELOWNORMAL d:\temp\replay do-second

    when i run this script i see

    do-first

    printed out.. but then i just get another dos prompt.
    If i type exit at that prompt, then i finally see
    "do-second"

    I'm wondering what I need to do to change my script so that there is no
    'wait' in between the two executions of 'replay.bat'. Note: I think I
    need the /B because I don't want my output to go to another window..
    also, I think I need the /w because my commands need to run serially.
    any advice much appreciated !
    thanks
    -chris

  2. Re: how to invoke a series of long running commands in the background and at a low priority _clb_

    wrote in message
    news:1104458019.398664.79460@c13g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi...
    >
    > I'm not a DOS .bat file expert, but (perhaps foolishly) I'm stil trying
    > to do something a bit tricky...
    >
    > I want to run (under windows XP) a series of long running commands in
    > the background and at a low priority (so as not to slow down my
    > foreground tasks). I want to capture the output of the execution of
    > this series of commands in a file. The commands are themselves .bat
    > files (scripts).
    >
    > My problem is that the 'launch in the background at low priority'
    > script that I created 'hangs' after each statement... it only continues
    > if i manually type 'exit' for however many statements i am trying to
    > execute in the script.
    >
    > Example...>>>
    >
    > For simplicity, let say i have a script 'replay.bat' in d:\temp that i
    > want to run twice with different argumetns.
    >
    > d:\temp\replay.bat:
    > echo replaying %1
    >

    > The best i could come up with for a
    > 'launch in the background at low priority' script is as follows:
    >
    > d:\temp\launchThem.bat
    > start /B /w /BELOWNORMAL d:\temp\replay do-first
    > start /B /w /BELOWNORMAL d:\temp\replay do-second
    >

    > when i run this script i see
    >
    > do-first
    >
    > printed out.. but then i just get another dos prompt.
    > If i type exit at that prompt, then i finally see
    > "do-second"
    >
    > I'm wondering what I need to do to change my script so that there is no
    > 'wait' in between the two executions of 'replay.bat'. Note: I think I
    > need the /B because I don't want my output to go to another window..
    > also, I think I need the /w because my commands need to run serially.
    > any advice much appreciated !
    > thanks
    > -chris

    You could try this:

    start /B /w /BELOWNORMAL cmd.exe /c d:\temp\replay do-second

+ Reply to Thread