Autoexec.NT won't run! - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Autoexec.NT won't run! - Windows NT ; I've got a log file that grows too fast. I need to truncate the file each time I reboot (before the services start and lock up that file.) I wrote the lines in the autoexec.nt file: del access_log_old rename access_log ...

  1. Autoexec.NT won't run!

    I've got a log file that grows too fast. I need to truncate the file
    each time I reboot (before the services start and lock up that file.)
    I wrote the lines in the autoexec.nt file:

    del access_log_old
    rename access_log access_log_old

    (of course I used the whole path)

    But when I reboot, those lines don't get executed for some reason.

    Is there something I need to do to a machine to get it to run the
    autoexec.nt?

  2. Re: Autoexec.NT won't run!

    Autoexec.nt does not run during WinNT startup. It is used when starting a DOS virtual machine for applications that require it.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  3. Re: Autoexec.NT won't run!

    wrote in message
    news:1104252785.328676.301210@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > I've got a log file that grows too fast. I need to truncate the file
    > each time I reboot (before the services start and lock up that file.)
    > I wrote the lines in the autoexec.nt file:
    >
    > del access_log_old
    > rename access_log access_log_old
    >
    > (of course I used the whole path)
    >
    > But when I reboot, those lines don't get executed for some reason.
    >
    > Is there something I need to do to a machine to get it to run the
    > autoexec.nt?

    Place your batch file (under any name!) into
    c:\documents and settings\start menu\programs\startup, or
    use the Task Scheduler to get it to run at boot time.

  4. Re: Autoexec.NT won't run!

    It will run sooner if it is started from the registry RUN key; possibly before the service is started, depending on where the service is started from.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > Place your batch file (under any name!) into
    > c:\documents and settings\start menu\programs\startup, or
    > use the Task Scheduler to get it to run at boot time.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  5. Re: Autoexec.NT won't run!

    You may well be right. To make your post complete, you should
    really give the OP the appropriate registry key (same as in your
    first reply, where the OP would have appreciated an alternative
    method to his inoperative autoexec.nt).

    "Mike Walsh" wrote in message

    > It will run sooner if it is started from the registry RUN key; possibly

    before the service is started, depending on where the service is started
    from.

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > > Place your batch file (under any name!) into
    > > c:\documents and settings\start menu\programs\startup, or
    > > use the Task Scheduler to get it to run at boot time.

    > --
    > Mike Walsh
    > West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  6. Re: Autoexec.NT won't run!

    The registry key location will vary depending on the version of windows and the profiles. Search for keys named "run" using match whole string only to see all possibilities. Add a string value with the file you want to run.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  7. Re: Autoexec.NT won't run!

    It's HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    for WinNT/2000/XP, and it does not depend on the profiles.

    "Mike Walsh" wrote in message

    > The registry key location will vary depending on the version of windows

    and the profiles. Search for keys named "run" using match whole string only
    to see all possibilities. Add a string value with the file you want to run.

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > > You may well be right. To make your post complete, you should
    > > really give the OP the appropriate registry key (same as in your
    > > first reply, where the OP would have appreciated an alternative
    > > method to his inoperative autoexec.nt).
    > >
    > > "Mike Walsh" wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > It will run sooner if it is started from the registry RUN key;

    possibly
    > > before the service is started, depending on where the service is started
    > > from.

    > --
    > Mike Walsh
    > West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.