Re-install NT Networking? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Re-install NT Networking? - Windows NT ; I tried to update my NIC card from a 10meg ISA to a 100meg PCI (3com 3c509 to 3c905), but it has turned into a disaster. First I tried removing the old NIC in control panel/network, shut down, removed the ...

  1. Re-install NT Networking?

    I tried to update my NIC card from a 10meg ISA to a 100meg PCI (3com
    3c509 to 3c905), but it has turned into a disaster.

    First I tried removing the old NIC in control panel/network, shut down,
    removed the old card, installed the new, and rebooted. Installing the
    new driver worked, but then NT wanted to reboot again and afterward I
    had no network connectivity, no services or protocols in control panel,
    and could not add any because they are 'already installed'. ipconfig at
    the command line reports 'Fatal error: inconsistent registry entries'.

    I googled and found that changing NICs while VPN client software is
    installed is a bad idea, so I shut down, restored my system partition
    (which I had backed up before making any changes), put the old NIC back,
    and rebooted. All was as before I started.

    Then I uninstalled the Nortel VPN client, let the uninstall reboot the
    system - and was left in exactly the same situation as before, i.e. no
    connectivity, no services or protocols in control panel/network,
    ipconfig fatal error.

    I restored again, but this time left the new NIC in place and just
    replaced the old driver with the new one, using the old file name. This
    allows me to run on the new NIC (although Event Log can't understand
    it's messages because NT hasn't read the .inf file), and the VPN also
    works, but I still have no services, protocols, or bindings in Control
    Panel, and if I close the Network applet by clicking OK, it 'reviews'
    the non-existant bindings and trashes my connectivity all over again -
    so I can't leave it like this.

    Is there a way to *completely* *uninstall* networking so I can start
    over clean? I really don't want to re-install NT just to change NIC cards!

    TIA

    Sunny

  2. Re: Re-install NT Networking?

    Sunny wrote:

    > Is there a way to *completely* *uninstall* networking so I can start
    > over clean? I really don't want to re-install NT just to change NIC cards!

    Apparently not.

    I deleted every registry key that appeared to have anything to do with
    networking, and got as far as a "Windows Networking is not installed,
    would you like to install it now?" message from the Network control
    panel applet.

    However, installation fails with numerous "Registry subkey already
    exists" messages - yet Regmon shows "not found" for all keys queried.

    I reluctantly conceded defeat (for the moment) and installed XP SP2.

    Sunny

+ Reply to Thread