copying partitions and network card parameters - Windows NT

This is a discussion on copying partitions and network card parameters - Windows NT ; if i copy all of the partitions of one disk to another from two identical machines (except for the network cards probably having different MAC addresses) will i need to change anything other than the IP and names of the ...

  1. copying partitions and network card parameters

    if i copy all of the partitions of one disk to another
    from two identical machines (except for the network cards
    probably having different MAC addresses) will i need to
    change anything other than the IP and names of the copied
    to partitions?

    i've already tried this and have had no luck so i'm
    thinking i've missed something somewheres. the other
    thing is that i'm thinking that perhaps the network card
    itself was also fried in the incident that corrupted the
    disk, but i won't be able to try that tack until next
    week.

    while i do have access to identical working machines
    i don't have all the install disks (missing one of them
    someplace) and i'm not sure i can get the drivers for
    these NICS to install easily on windows NT (which is why
    i finally reverted to copying partitions to see if i
    could make progress that ways).

    also i did make sure that i had identical IRQ settings
    on both machines too. all looks the same.

    any help appreciated.

    songbird *peep*

  2. Re: copying partitions and network card parameters

    See below.

    "songbird" wrote in message
    > if i copy all of the partitions of one disk to another
    > from two identical machines (except for the network cards
    > probably having different MAC addresses) will i need to
    > change anything other than the IP and names of the copied
    > to partitions?

    You don't need to do anything else. However, just because
    the two machines ***look*** identical does not mean that
    they ***are*** identical. If you have a problem then it
    would be helpful if you described the exact symptoms.

    > i've already tried this and have had no luck so i'm
    > thinking i've missed something somewheres. the other
    > thing is that i'm thinking that perhaps the network card
    > itself was also fried in the incident that corrupted the
    > disk, but i won't be able to try that tack until next
    > week.
    >
    > while i do have access to identical working machines
    > i don't have all the install disks (missing one of them
    > someplace) and i'm not sure i can get the drivers for
    > these NICS to install easily on windows NT (which is why
    > i finally reverted to copying partitions to see if i
    > could make progress that ways).
    >
    > also i did make sure that i had identical IRQ settings
    > on both machines too. all looks the same.
    >
    > any help appreciated.
    >

    > songbird *peep*

  3. Re: copying partitions and network card parameters

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    >songbird wrote:

    > > if i copy all of the partitions of one disk to another
    > > from two identical machines (except for the network cards
    > > probably having different MAC addresses) will i need to
    > > change anything other than the IP and names of the copied
    > > to partitions?

    > You don't need to do anything else. However, just because
    > the two machines ***look*** identical does not mean that
    > they ***are*** identical. If you have a problem then it
    > would be helpful if you described the exact symptoms.

    that is true, i am assuming that the four machines are
    all identical since they were built/delivered/installed
    all at the same time. i will double check that next week
    when i get a chance to get back there to them.

    as for specifics, i don't have the machine with me
    right here so i have to go there/write things down/
    come back here/etc. (as in also next week). what i can
    remember is that something doesn't start that should
    E190e (which looks to me like a NIC driver), the NIC itself
    lights up only when initially getting power and then nothing
    else. and the number that comes up is something like 5008
    (in the error message in the event logs). alas, i have none
    of this written down to be sure.

    what i did want to verify was that i wasn't missing
    something obvious. thank you for verifying that for me.

    > > i've already tried this and have had no luck so i'm
    > > thinking i've missed something somewheres. the other
    > > thing is that i'm thinking that perhaps the network card
    > > itself was also fried in the incident that corrupted the
    > > disk, but i won't be able to try that tack until next
    > > week.
    > >
    > > while i do have access to identical working machines
    > > i don't have all the install disks (missing one of them
    > > someplace) and i'm not sure i can get the drivers for
    > > these NICS to install easily on windows NT (which is why
    > > i finally reverted to copying partitions to see if i
    > > could make progress that ways).
    > >
    > > also i did make sure that i had identical IRQ settings
    > > on both machines too. all looks the same.
    > >
    > > any help appreciated.
    > >

    > > songbird *peep*

    songbird

  4. Re: copying partitions and network card parameters

    songbird wrote:

    turns out that it was a dead network card. put a
    replacement card in and it worked just fine.

    thank you for your help,

    songbird

+ Reply to Thread