Windows 2000 thinks I have 2 CPUs - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Windows 2000 thinks I have 2 CPUs - Windows NT ; I recently installed a new hard disk in my single-processor, P4 system. I installed Windows 2000, but every so often by PC spontaneously reboots. I've been trying to track down the cause of the problem to no avail. As I'm ...

  1. Windows 2000 thinks I have 2 CPUs

    I recently installed a new hard disk in my single-processor, P4
    system.

    I installed Windows 2000, but every so often by PC spontaneously
    reboots.
    I've been trying to track down the cause of the problem to no avail.

    As I'm a software engineer, I just ran the Task Manager to monitor
    memory, as a first check for memory leaks in my program.
    It was then that I spotted that Task Manager was displaying 2 CPU
    usage graphs, so it's obviously under the impression that I have 2
    CPUs.

    However, when I look at the General tab of the System control panel
    applet, there's no mention of it being dual-processor as it normally
    would if that was the case.

    It makes me wonder whether the spontaneous reboots are caused by
    Windows trying to allocate a process to its imaginary second CPU.

    Has anyone come across this before? It's a single-CPU motherboard.

    Anyone know how to fix it, or am I looking at a re-installation?

    ____
    Chimaera

  2. Re: Windows 2000 thinks I have 2 CPUs

    In article <59K4QcetUS6Eq1dmHw+4sgCMm6Tk@4ax.com>, nowhere@bollocksFilter.com wrote:

    > I recently installed a new hard disk in my single-processor, P4
    > system.
    >
    > I installed Windows 2000, but every so often by PC spontaneously
    > reboots.
    > I've been trying to track down the cause of the problem to no avail.
    >
    > As I'm a software engineer, I just ran the Task Manager to monitor
    > memory, as a first check for memory leaks in my program.
    > It was then that I spotted that Task Manager was displaying 2 CPU
    > usage graphs, so it's obviously under the impression that I have 2
    > CPUs.

    You have a P4 that supports HyperThreading -- it pretends to be 2 CPUs to
    the OS, with varying degrees of success. If you think it's causing you
    issues, you can turn it off in the BIOS.

    --
    Joshua Baker-LePain
    Department of Biomedical Engineering

+ Reply to Thread