Backup NT system and restore to different model hardware - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Backup NT system and restore to different model hardware - Windows NT ; Is there a way to backup an NT server and restore the backup to a different hardware platform? I can't duplicate the old hardware that we have but must remain on NT for the foreseeable future. Help!!!! Thanks, Chip Spear...

  1. Backup NT system and restore to different model hardware

    Is there a way to backup an NT server and restore the backup to a
    different hardware platform? I can't duplicate the old hardware that
    we have but must remain on NT for the foreseeable future. Help!!!!

    Thanks,
    Chip Spear

  2. Re: Backup NT system and restore to different model hardware

    "Chip Spear" wrote in message
    news:bb07e995.0412030852.2fcf8204@posting.google.c om...
    > Is there a way to backup an NT server and restore the backup to a
    > different hardware platform? I can't duplicate the old hardware that
    > we have but must remain on NT for the foreseeable future. Help!!!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chip Spear

    WinNT is fairly tolerant in this regard. I suggest you try a full
    backup and restore, and see how you go. Using an imaging
    tool such as PQMagic or Ghost would get you there even faster.

  3. Re: Backup NT system and restore to different model hardware

    Chip Spear wrote:

    > Is there a way to backup an NT server and restore the backup to a
    > different hardware platform? I can't duplicate the old hardware that
    > we have but must remain on NT for the foreseeable future. Help!!!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chip Spear

    Best approach is to use disk imaging software, such as Symantec Ghost or
    PowerQuest Drive Image (actually Ghost is no longer available. Symantec
    now owns Drive Image, but they call it Ghost 9 to confuse you).

    NT will boot on different hardware provided it can find the boot disk.
    You can fix changes to the video card, network card, etc. after it boots
    on the new hardware.

    It won't boot if the boot disk controller requires a different driver.
    In that case the solution is to boot ERD Commander from CD or floppy,
    and copy the required driver over top of the existing one, i.e. new
    driver, old filename.

    HTH

    Triffid

  4. Re: Backup NT system and restore to different model hardware

    Triffid wrote:
    > Chip Spear wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a way to backup an NT server and restore the backup to a
    > > different hardware platform? I can't duplicate the old hardware

    that
    > > we have but must remain on NT for the foreseeable future. Help!!!!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Chip Spear

    > Best approach is to use disk imaging software, such as Symantec Ghost

    or
    > PowerQuest Drive Image (actually Ghost is no longer available.

    Symantec
    > now owns Drive Image, but they call it Ghost 9 to confuse you).
    >
    > NT will boot on different hardware provided it can find the boot

    disk.
    > You can fix changes to the video card, network card, etc. after it

    boots
    > on the new hardware.
    >
    > It won't boot if the boot disk controller requires a different

    driver.
    > In that case the solution is to boot ERD Commander from CD or floppy,

    > and copy the required driver over top of the existing one, i.e. new
    > driver, old filename.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Triffid

+ Reply to Thread