Why Maximum 9 com ports using 16 port Digi multi serial device? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Why Maximum 9 com ports using 16 port Digi multi serial device? - Windows NT ; When using a Digi acceleport epc/x pci 16 port serial device, I can only print to 9 ports. Only 7, when you count the 2 PC on-board com ports. I am using Windows 2000, with an Avery Dennison Label software(32 ...

  1. Why Maximum 9 com ports using 16 port Digi multi serial device?

    When using a Digi acceleport epc/x pci 16 port serial device, I can
    only print to 9 ports. Only 7, when you count the 2 PC on-board com
    ports.

    I am using Windows 2000, with an Avery Dennison Label software(32
    bit), that sends print jobs to box labeling machines on separate com
    ports.

    Device Manager sees all 18 (2 local com ports, plus the 16 on the Digi
    box)
    and all look similar. The only difference, is on the Avery Dennison
    software, you create printers, that show up in the windows print
    applet, and when in the print applet, click File/Server Properties,
    then Ports Tab. This view shows
    all com ports, but 1-9 are "serial port", and 10 and up are "local
    port" in the description column. I am not sure if this really matters,
    as it is only a description coilumn.

    I can not print to anything above com 9.
    The application sees all of the com ports, but gives an error:
    "Failed accessing printer on Com 10"
    Is this a Windows thing?

    Ken

  2. Re: Why Maximum 9 com ports using 16 port Digi multi serial device?

    underwoodkw@charter.net (Ken) wrote in message news:...>
    > I can not print to anything above com 9.
    > The application sees all of the com ports, but gives an error:
    > "Failed accessing printer on Com 10"
    > Is this a Windows thing?

    No. I've used mult-port serial io cards under NT without this problem.
    I think it's the printer application's failure. Does it see ports >
    com9?

    > Ken

  3. Re: Why Maximum 9 com ports using 16 port Digi multi serial device?

    Specify it as \\.\COM10 and you can go up to 255.

    --
    #include
    _

+ Reply to Thread