Improving netiquette: Cross posting vs multi-posting - explaination? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Improving netiquette: Cross posting vs multi-posting - explaination? - Windows NT ; Hello After seeing this rather lenghty thread in this news group about SPAM, and, to improve my own netiquette, I would ask the following questions: What is the difference between cross-posting, and multi-posting? Why are they used? Why is one ...

  1. Improving netiquette: Cross posting vs multi-posting - explaination?

    Hello

    After seeing this rather lenghty thread in this news group about SPAM,
    and, to improve my own netiquette, I would ask the following questions:

    What is the difference between cross-posting, and multi-posting?

    Why are they used?

    Why is one bad and the other preferable, and how are both accomplished?

    Thanks very much.
    --
    Tim.

  2. Re: Improving netiquette: Cross posting vs multi-posting - explaination?

    On 26 Jul 2004 14:12:04 GMT, "Tim Munro"
    wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    > After seeing this rather lenghty thread in this news group about SPAM,
    >and, to improve my own netiquette, I would ask the following questions:
    >
    > What is the difference between cross-posting, and multi-posting?

    Crossposting is like the following:

    Newsgroups:alt.binaries.fonts,alt.binaries.fonts.f loods,rec.food.recipes

    Multiposting is the same message posted, but changing the
    newsgroup each time. Depending on the reader, either
    copy/past, or just change the newsgroup and post again.

    OE will mark the same message read in all groups if it was
    read in one, provided that such was crossposted, that way,
    you know you don't have to bother downloading it. Mutlti
    posted ones are what one could call SPAM.

    > Why are they used?

    To get broad input.

    > Why is one bad and the other preferable, and how are both accomplished?

    Multiposting is akin to SPAM as such (with some
    newsreaders/filters) wastes time.

    >Thanks very much.

    If a topic is off topic, then do

    OT: Food to eat while you're workin' at the comp?

    For a request:

    REQ: Dingbats with aliens in them

    For a query:

    Query: How do you edit the config.sys

    --
    Sincerely, | () ()
    | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
    Andrew H. Carter | /// \\\
    d(-_-)b |

  3. Re: Improving netiquette: Cross posting vs multi-posting - explaination?

    Thanks very much Andrew.

    --
    Tim

    "Andrew H. Carter (Applied ROT 17 Left, for Email do 17 Right)"
    wrote in message
    newsf7ag0hr5hmr47bcon12sho7qceqju8ojc@4ax.com...
    > On 26 Jul 2004 14:12:04 GMT, "Tim Munro"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hello
    > >
    > > After seeing this rather lenghty thread in this news group about

    SPAM,
    > >and, to improve my own netiquette, I would ask the following questions:
    > >
    > > What is the difference between cross-posting, and multi-posting?
    > >

    > Crossposting is like the following:
    >
    > Newsgroups:alt.binaries.fonts,alt.binaries.fonts.f loods,rec.food.recipes
    >
    > Multiposting is the same message posted, but changing the
    > newsgroup each time. Depending on the reader, either
    > copy/past, or just change the newsgroup and post again.
    >
    > OE will mark the same message read in all groups if it was
    > read in one, provided that such was crossposted, that way,
    > you know you don't have to bother downloading it. Mutlti
    > posted ones are what one could call SPAM.
    >

    > > Why are they used?
    > >

    > To get broad input.
    >
    > > Why is one bad and the other preferable, and how are both

    accomplished?

    > Multiposting is akin to SPAM as such (with some
    > newsreaders/filters) wastes time.
    >
    > >Thanks very much.

    > If a topic is off topic, then do
    >
    > OT: Food to eat while you're workin' at the comp?
    >
    > For a request:
    >
    > REQ: Dingbats with aliens in them
    >
    > For a query:
    >
    > Query: How do you edit the config.sys