keyboard/mouse problem after post-SP6a hotfix (Q299444) - Windows NT

This is a discussion on keyboard/mouse problem after post-SP6a hotfix (Q299444) - Windows NT ; I successfully applied service pack 6a to my NT 4.0 box (Dell XPS R450 (Pentium II)), then applied the post-SP6a hotfix from Q299444. NT now comes up with a "one or more services failed, check the event log" on startup, ...

  1. keyboard/mouse problem after post-SP6a hotfix (Q299444)

    I successfully applied service pack 6a to my NT 4.0 box (Dell XPS R450
    (Pentium II)), then applied the post-SP6a hotfix from Q299444. NT now
    comes up with a "one or more services failed, check the event log" on
    startup, with no keyboard or mouse.

    After a bit of googling, it seems that this could be a known issue
    which might be alleviated by editing one or more registry keys
    (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\(mouclass| kbdclass|msi8042|i8042prt)\Start)
    and setting the value to "1" (if set to "0" or "4" which apparently
    disable the keyboard/mouse).

    My problem is that the computer in question is not on a LAN (only
    dial-up Internet access), does not have a working floppy drive (broken
    for a while, haven't needed it recently), and the partitions are
    NTFS-formatted except for a single FAT partition shared in dual-boot
    setup with a RedHat Linux 5.1 install (from which I'm posting this
    message).

    Basically, what are my options re editing the registry on this
    computer? So far I can think of:
    1. install a new floppy drive, boot off it (if possible) using the
    rescue disk, and edit the registry ;
    2. install a new floppy drive, boot off it (if possible) to install
    a "temp" version of Windows NT, edit the original registry file, then
    revert to the original Window NT installation ;
    3. physically remove the hard-drive containing the Windows NT
    install, place it in another Windows box (a Windows2000 box?), edit
    the registry file, then return the drive to the original box ;
    4. or ...?

    If (3) is plausible, do the Windows' registry tools allow an arbitrary
    registry file to be edited (i.e. I'd want to edit the registry on
    H:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\???? instead of the "real" one for that box)? Are
    there other tools that allow that? Actually, what's the "filename" of
    the Windows registry in NT 4.0?

    Thanks in advance for any help/information/pointers.

    --
    Jim

  2. Re: keyboard/mouse problem after post-SP6a hotfix (Q299444)

    I would probably do this:

    1. Take a snapshot of the existing installation, in case things
    go horribly wrong. Acronis TrueImage could be used.

    2. Re-install WinNT over the top of the existing installation.

    If there is a Safe Mode in WinNT (I don't remember) then
    I would try it too.

    You could also boot into Command Console mode with a
    Win2000 CD, then replace c:\winnt\system32\system with
    system.alt (making sure to preserve the original file).

    For further comments see my marked lines below.

    "Jim" wrote in message
    news:cde31a5f.0407171324.5a68de2b@posting.google.c om...
    > I successfully applied service pack 6a to my NT 4.0 box (Dell XPS R450
    > (Pentium II)), then applied the post-SP6a hotfix from Q299444. NT now
    > comes up with a "one or more services failed, check the event log" on
    > startup, with no keyboard or mouse.
    >
    > After a bit of googling, it seems that this could be a known issue
    > which might be alleviated by editing one or more registry keys

    (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\(mouclass| kbdclass|msi8042|i8042prt)
    \Start)
    > and setting the value to "1" (if set to "0" or "4" which apparently
    > disable the keyboard/mouse).
    >
    > My problem is that the computer in question is not on a LAN (only
    > dial-up Internet access), does not have a working floppy drive (broken
    > for a while, haven't needed it recently), and the partitions are
    > NTFS-formatted except for a single FAT partition shared in dual-boot
    > setup with a RedHat Linux 5.1 install (from which I'm posting this
    > message).
    >
    > Basically, what are my options re editing the registry on this
    > computer? So far I can think of:
    > 1. install a new floppy drive, boot off it (if possible) using the
    > rescue disk, and edit the registry ;

    *** What rescue disk, what registry editor?
    *** You could use the Nordahl boot disk to edit parts of the
    *** registry - I've tried it before.
    *** http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    > 2. install a new floppy drive, boot off it (if possible) to install
    > a "temp" version of Windows NT, edit the original registry file, then
    > revert to the original Window NT installation ;

    *** How would you edit the original registry file?

    > 3. physically remove the hard-drive containing the Windows NT
    > install, place it in another Windows box (a Windows2000 box?), edit
    > the registry file, then return the drive to the original box ;
    > 4. or ...?

    *** How would you edit the original registry file?

    > If (3) is plausible, do the Windows' registry tools allow an arbitrary
    > registry file to be edited (i.e. I'd want to edit the registry on
    > H:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\???? instead of the "real" one for that box)? Are
    > there other tools that allow that? Actually, what's the "filename" of
    > the Windows registry in NT 4.0?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help/information/pointers.
    >
    > --
    > Jim

  3. Re: keyboard/mouse problem after post-SP6a hotfix (Q299444)

    Thanks for the information. I found a KnowledgeBase article (Q305462)
    that ties the behavior to an old IntelliMouse driver, and suggests
    trying to disable msi8042.sys and replacing it with i8042prt.sys.

    To do that they suggest either:
    1. a parallel install of NT (Q259083) ;
    2. or booting of a Windows 2000 CD and using the "Recovery Console" (Q229716).

    I'm going to try (2) on Monday.

+ Reply to Thread