Re: Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Re: Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0? - Windows NT ; adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote in message news: ... > In article , > FransHals wrote: > > http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/ > > > >I need to do an image back up a machine. This looks like a better > >solution than Ghost. ...

  1. Re: Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0?

    adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote in message news:...
    > In article <9b942ce7.0406240613.514de87f@posting.google.com>,
    > FransHals wrote:
    > >http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/
    > >
    > >I need to do an image back up a machine. This looks like a better
    > >solution than Ghost. Acronis allows you to do scheduled back ups
    > >which is also a plus. Ideally I want to set up the clone machine
    > >next to the older machine. Plug them both into the network and have
    > >the new machine backing up the old once a week or every day.
    > >
    > >I am also looking at R-Drive Image at www.drive-image.com/
    > >
    > >Any suggestions?

    > TI7 is working fine for me, in a similar fashion. I back a laptop and
    > a desktop to a huge disk in the desktop system that's shared out on
    > the ethernet. (I put my data files on CDRs and get them off-site,
    > also.)
    >
    > I don't schedule backups.
    >
    > The only shortcomming I can thing of is that it doesn't automatically
    > generate a name for the backup that is unique (include the date digits
    > and time digits, for example). I assume if it was a
    > scheduled/unattended backup it would always overwrite the previous
    > backup, which would be Very Bad.
    >
    > I can tell you, from experience, that I can retore a C drive from a
    > network backup by booting from the Acronis cdrom and browsing my
    > network to find the backup share, and image. Very fast.
    >
    > TI7 knows how to talk to SATA disks, and controllers. At least mine.
    >
    > OTOH, I've had very unsatisfactory results trying to burn CDs from
    > TI7. But I never trusted CDs for critical backups, anyway. Maybe it's
    > bad karma.

    Are you able to get a perfect image dragging the files across the
    ethernet network?

    I guess i can just use one desktop with a big hard drive to back up
    critical things if I can pull the drive image acroos the network.

  2. Re: Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0?

    FransHals wrote:

    > Are you able to get a perfect image dragging the files across the
    > ethernet network?

    I wouldn't necessarily call it "dragging", but I back up over the
    network all the time using TI.

    -WD

+ Reply to Thread