Best way to copy drive image on NT 4.0 - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Best way to copy drive image on NT 4.0 - Windows NT ; I need to make a copy in case a drive fails. The machine has NT 4.0. I need to do an image copy because there are so many installed components. I want to do the image on a new machine. ...

  1. Best way to copy drive image on NT 4.0

    I need to make a copy in case a drive fails. The machine has NT 4.0.
    I need to do an image copy because there are so many installed
    components.

    I want to do the image on a new machine. The NT 4.0 machine has a USB
    1.1 and a serial port. I prefer not hooking up a new drive to the old
    machine. The old machine is on a network so could I copy the image
    over the network?

    Any suggestions? The guys I am working with say Ghost sucks.

  2. Re: Best way to copy drive image on NT 4.0

    "FransHals" wrote in message
    news:9b942ce7.0406231746.be88000@posting.google.co m...
    > I need to make a copy in case a drive fails. The machine has NT 4.0.
    > I need to do an image copy because there are so many installed
    > components.
    >
    > I want to do the image on a new machine. The NT 4.0 machine has a USB
    > 1.1 and a serial port. I prefer not hooking up a new drive to the old
    > machine. The old machine is on a network so could I copy the image
    > over the network?
    >
    > Any suggestions? The guys I am working with say Ghost sucks.

    I have never used Ghost - I use Acronis True Image, which works
    very well and is aggressively priced.

    You may be able to copy the image over the network, if the imaging
    software recognises your network adapter etc. I have never tried it
    with True Image. It's so easy to pop in a storage disk, so why bother?

    By the way - I thought NT4 does not support USB?

  3. Re: Best way to copy drive image on NT 4.0

    "Pegasus \(MVP\)" wrote in message news:...
    > "FransHals" wrote in message
    > news:9b942ce7.0406231746.be88000@posting.google.co m...
    > > I need to make a copy in case a drive fails. The machine has NT 4.0.
    > > I need to do an image copy because there are so many installed
    > > components.
    > >
    > > I want to do the image on a new machine. The NT 4.0 machine has a USB
    > > 1.1 and a serial port. I prefer not hooking up a new drive to the old
    > > machine. The old machine is on a network so could I copy the image
    > > over the network?
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? The guys I am working with say Ghost sucks.

    > I have never used Ghost - I use Acronis True Image, which works
    > very well and is aggressively priced.
    >
    > You may be able to copy the image over the network, if the imaging
    > software recognises your network adapter etc. I have never tried it
    > with True Image. It's so easy to pop in a storage disk, so why bother?
    >
    > By the way - I thought NT4 does not support USB?

    NT 4 does not support it USB. The front of the old HP Pavilion has a
    USB 1.1 and a serial port.

    I prefer using Acronis True Iamage 7.0 and not opening up the machine
    to hook up an external drive to the jumpers. Can I plug in another
    machine through the serial port on the front or plug in the external
    drive to that serial port?

    Thanks for any input. Acronis appears to be the best option. I would
    love to pull it all across the network but the imaging may not be the
    same.

+ Reply to Thread