NT 4.0: explorer crashes on exit afer moving files - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NT 4.0: explorer crashes on exit afer moving files - Windows NT ; Hi, maybe someone has got an idea concerning this harmless but annoying problem: Here is a NT 4.0 Workstation, SP6a and most security updates applied. Since a few months ago the explorer crashes frequently *on exit* *after having moved files* ...

  1. NT 4.0: explorer crashes on exit afer moving files

    Hi,

    maybe someone has got an idea concerning this harmless but annoying
    problem:

    Here is a NT 4.0 Workstation, SP6a and most security updates applied.

    Since a few months ago the explorer crashes frequently *on exit* *after
    having moved files* locally or over the LAN.

    I get an error message like:

    The instruction at 0x65.. referred memory at 0x65...
    The memory could not be "read".
    Click "OK"...

    Moving the files finishes always succesfully.
    The crashes do not occur before closing the explorer.

    Any ideas?

    Stephan

  2. Re: NT 4.0: explorer crashes on exit afer moving files

    I believe this problem occurs when an application tries to access memory that is being used by a different application. I and others have had this problem with various applications. Microsoft knowledge base has fixes for several specific instances but not a general fix that will eliminate the problem for all applications. The problem occurs often, but not always, when closing an application.

    --

    When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  3. Re: NT 4.0: explorer crashes on exit afer moving files

    Mike Walsh wrote:

    > I believe this problem occurs when an application tries to access memory that is being used by a different > application. I and others have had this problem with various applications.

    [...]
    > The problem occurs often, but not always, when closing an application.

    hit -

    I thought this was a problem with NT itself or maybe an HotFix. But with
    your hint I recalled the questionable apps that have been installed
    during the last months. Haven't been many, this machine runs year in
    year out, but one was a freeware zipper that created some shell
    extensions. Unistalled this one, and :-)) no crashes anymore up to now.

    thank you

    Stephan

  4. Re: NT 4.0: explorer crashes on exit afer moving files

    I have had the error come up when running Realplayer (version 8 basic). I can get around it by closing Realplayer after each use, i.e. after streaming a file, instead of leaving it running all of the time. I also get the error sometimes from ZoneAlarm when shutting down windows.

    --

    When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

+ Reply to Thread