Re: SCSI NT hang on bootup - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Re: SCSI NT hang on bootup - Windows NT ; John C wrote: > I have inherited a PC system running Windows NT and a SCSI CDROM. When > the CDROM is not connected the system always (I believe) boots OK but > when it is connected it sometimes hangs ...

  1. Re: SCSI NT hang on bootup

    John C wrote:

    > I have inherited a PC system running Windows NT and a SCSI CDROM. When
    > the CDROM is not connected the system always (I believe) boots OK but
    > when it is connected it sometimes hangs as the Windows desktop is
    > displayed.
    >
    > I've looked in the SCSI adapters setup and it says: Adaptec
    > AHA-29xU2/295xU2/395xU2 and IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/
    >
    > Does anyone know why this may happen?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John C.

    The problem is less likely the SCSI controller but more
    of one being contributed by a desktop application or a
    startup application that is looking for something in the
    SCSI cdrom drive or that of the drive letter that is used
    by the SCSI cdrom drive when it is connected.

  2. Re: SCSI NT hang on bootup

    In message <10cs30vqh64u6df@news.supernews.com>, Ghostrider
    <-00-@fitron.142> writes

    >John C wrote:
    >
    >> I have inherited a PC system running Windows NT and a SCSI CDROM. When
    >> the CDROM is not connected the system always (I believe) boots OK but
    >> when it is connected it sometimes hangs as the Windows desktop is
    >> displayed.
    >> I've looked in the SCSI adapters setup and it says: Adaptec
    >> AHA-29xU2/295xU2/395xU2… and IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/…
    >> Does anyone know why this may happen?
    >> Thanks,
    >> John C.

    >The problem is less likely the SCSI controller but more
    >of one being contributed by a desktop application or a
    >startup application that is looking for something in the
    >SCSI cdrom drive or that of the drive letter that is used
    >by the SCSI cdrom drive when it is connected.

    Is the SCSI CD-ROM the only SCSI device on the controller.

    If it is I would guess that the issue is termination of the SCSI bus.
    SCSI Buses need to be properly terminated at both ends otherwise all
    sorts of strange things happen.

    I think that with the CD-ROM disconnected NT is told by the controller -
    no devices, and consequently never investigates as it starts up. If the
    CD-ROM is present, NT interrogates to see if there is a disk in it while
    booting - and the SCSI bus (sometimes) hangs.

    Check that the controller end is terminated ( an option on the card
    somewhere- or in the SCSI BIOS (usually Ctrl/A during boot)), and that
    the either the CD-ROM provides termination, or there is another
    terminator on the bus.

    If the CD-ROM is not the only device on the SCSI Bus, then possibly the
    problem is an incompatibility between the CD-ROM and the rest of the
    Bus. Check the configuration of all the devices are consistent (inc.
    SCSI ID's ). I have also had problems with having a differential drive
    and single ended drives on the same BUS.
    --
    Peter R Cook

+ Reply to Thread