Disk Drive Full error/condition - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Disk Drive Full error/condition - Windows NT ; Greetings: I have a rather old WinNT desktop computer (circa 1999). The C:drive was getting max'ed out so I installed a second hard drive a little while ago. I have been working off this second drive consistently ever since. Just ...

  1. Disk Drive Full error/condition

    Greetings:

    I have a rather old WinNT desktop computer (circa 1999). The C:drive
    was getting max'ed out so I installed a second hard drive a little
    while ago. I have been working off this second drive consistently ever
    since.

    Just the other night I went to send some e:mail and got an error
    message saying that it couldn't send the mail because there wasn't
    enough space to write a temp file (don't recall the exact text). That
    led me to look at the c: drive. I discovered that it was completely
    full. As in 0kb free!! When I'd last checked, it has something like
    100Mb free.

    I checked all the temp directories, most were empty. One of them
    (C:\temp) had a large number of files in it, but they were all 0kb in
    size. Nonetheless, I deleted them.

    Yet I still have 0 space available on the drive.

    I'd be interested in any suggestions/ideas/pointers as to what is
    causing the drive to be full, where the files came from (considering
    I've not been using the drive) and how to get back some space and
    prevent this from happening in the future.

    Any and all advice appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Disk Drive Full error/condition

    Quiet Voice wrote:

    >Greetings:
    >
    >I have a rather old WinNT desktop computer (circa 1999). The C:drive
    >was getting max'ed out so I installed a second hard drive a little
    >while ago. I have been working off this second drive consistently ever
    >since.
    >
    >Just the other night I went to send some e:mail and got an error
    >message saying that it couldn't send the mail because there wasn't
    >enough space to write a temp file (don't recall the exact text). That
    >led me to look at the c: drive. I discovered that it was completely
    >full. As in 0kb free!! When I'd last checked, it has something like
    >100Mb free.
    >
    >I checked all the temp directories, most were empty. One of them
    >(C:\temp) had a large number of files in it, but they were all 0kb in
    >size. Nonetheless, I deleted them.
    >
    >Yet I still have 0 space available on the drive.
    >
    >I'd be interested in any suggestions/ideas/pointers as to what is
    >causing the drive to be full, where the files came from (considering
    >I've not been using the drive) and how to get back some space and
    >prevent this from happening in the future.
    >
    >Any and all advice appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks!

    As a first aid, I suggest putting the swap file to the new drive,
    and then install sequoia view to locate the space hoggers.

    When the pc can breathe again, what about defragging ?

    What nt version is it?

    HTH
    --
    Greetings
    Matthias

  3. Re: Disk Drive Full error/condition

    Quiet Voice formulated the question :
    > Greetings:
    >
    > I have a rather old WinNT desktop computer (circa 1999). The C:drive
    > was getting max'ed out so I installed a second hard drive a little
    > while ago. I have been working off this second drive consistently ever
    > since.
    >
    > Just the other night I went to send some e:mail and got an error
    > message saying that it couldn't send the mail because there wasn't
    > enough space to write a temp file (don't recall the exact text). That
    > led me to look at the c: drive. I discovered that it was completely
    > full. As in 0kb free!! When I'd last checked, it has something like
    > 100Mb free.
    >
    > I checked all the temp directories, most were empty. One of them
    > (C:\temp) had a large number of files in it, but they were all 0kb in
    > size. Nonetheless, I deleted them.
    >
    > Yet I still have 0 space available on the drive.
    >
    > I'd be interested in any suggestions/ideas/pointers as to what is
    > causing the drive to be full, where the files came from (considering
    > I've not been using the drive) and how to get back some space and
    > prevent this from happening in the future.
    >
    > Any and all advice appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Maybe it's the cache of your browser.
    Or temporary internet files.

    --
    This is an automatic signature of MesNews.
    Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com

  4. Re: Disk Drive Full error/condition

    Remove all Temp directories and files (*.tmp) and the page file from the C: drive. Remove the recycle bin (Recycler directory) it might be using a lot of disk space even though it shows empty. Move any large files e.g. audio, video and image files to another drive.

    --

    When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  5. Re: Disk Drive Full error/condition

    Hi,

    Thanks to you and all who have responded with suggestions.

    As I had said, I'd deleted most files from such obvious file foulders
    as c:\temp and c:\tmp. But that had no effect.

    After further investigation, here's what I found:

    I ran the "file find" utility. I specified the c: drive and limited
    the search to all files created within the last two months. Since I
    haven't conciously used the drive in those two months, I was
    interested to find out what files had been written to it without my
    knowledge.

    I discovered that there were massive numbers of "cache" files from
    Netscape. I am surprised by this because almost once a week, I open up
    Netscape advanced preferences and delete all disk and memory cache
    files.....or so I thought I was going. But there they were, cache
    files dating back almost a year!! Most were small (~20kb) Deleting all
    of them reclaimed about 50Mb.

    Any idea how/why these files were still there after I supposed
    "deleted" the disk cache files?

    There were other files with extensions that I didn't recognize. I will
    need to reserch just what these files are before I make any wholesale
    deletes.

    Thanks again!!

    Bernard Mercier wrote in message news:...
    > Quiet Voice formulated the question :
    > > Greetings:
    > >
    > > I have a rather old WinNT desktop computer (circa 1999). The C:drive
    > > was getting max'ed out so I installed a second hard drive a little
    > > while ago. I have been working off this second drive consistently ever
    > > since.
    > >
    > > Just the other night I went to send some e:mail and got an error
    > > message saying that it couldn't send the mail because there wasn't
    > > enough space to write a temp file (don't recall the exact text). That
    > > led me to look at the c: drive. I discovered that it was completely
    > > full. As in 0kb free!! When I'd last checked, it has something like
    > > 100Mb free.
    > >
    > > I checked all the temp directories, most were empty. One of them
    > > (C:\temp) had a large number of files in it, but they were all 0kb in
    > > size. Nonetheless, I deleted them.
    > >
    > > Yet I still have 0 space available on the drive.
    > >
    > > I'd be interested in any suggestions/ideas/pointers as to what is
    > > causing the drive to be full, where the files came from (considering
    > > I've not been using the drive) and how to get back some space and
    > > prevent this from happening in the future.
    > >
    > > Any and all advice appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > Maybe it's the cache of your browser.
    > Or temporary internet files.

  6. Re: Disk Drive Full error/condition

    Quiet Voice has brought this to us :
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks to you and all who have responded with suggestions.
    >
    > As I had said, I'd deleted most files from such obvious file foulders
    > as c:\temp and c:\tmp. But that had no effect.
    >
    > After further investigation, here's what I found:
    >
    > I ran the "file find" utility. I specified the c: drive and limited
    > the search to all files created within the last two months. Since I
    > haven't conciously used the drive in those two months, I was
    > interested to find out what files had been written to it without my
    > knowledge.
    >
    > I discovered that there were massive numbers of "cache" files from
    > Netscape. I am surprised by this because almost once a week, I open up
    > Netscape advanced preferences and delete all disk and memory cache
    > files.....or so I thought I was going. But there they were, cache
    > files dating back almost a year!! Most were small (~20kb) Deleting all
    > of them reclaimed about 50Mb.
    >
    > Any idea how/why these files were still there after I supposed
    > "deleted" the disk cache files?
    >
    > There were other files with extensions that I didn't recognize. I will
    > need to reserch just what these files are before I make any wholesale
    > deletes.
    >
    > Thanks again!!
    >

    > Bernard Mercier wrote in message
    >> Quiet Voice formulated the question :
    >>> Greetings:
    >>>
    >>> I have a rather old WinNT desktop computer (circa 1999). The C:drive
    >>> was getting max'ed out so I installed a second hard drive a little
    >>> while ago. I have been working off this second drive consistently ever
    >>> since.
    >>>
    >>> Just the other night I went to send some e:mail and got an error
    >>> message saying that it couldn't send the mail because there wasn't
    >>> enough space to write a temp file (don't recall the exact text). That
    >>> led me to look at the c: drive. I discovered that it was completely
    >>> full. As in 0kb free!! When I'd last checked, it has something like
    >>> 100Mb free.
    >>>
    >>> I checked all the temp directories, most were empty. One of them
    >>> (C:\temp) had a large number of files in it, but they were all 0kb in
    >>> size. Nonetheless, I deleted them.
    >>>
    >>> Yet I still have 0 space available on the drive.
    >>>
    >>> I'd be interested in any suggestions/ideas/pointers as to what is
    >>> causing the drive to be full, where the files came from (considering
    >>> I've not been using the drive) and how to get back some space and
    >>> prevent this from happening in the future.
    >>>
    >>> Any and all advice appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> Maybe it's the cache of your browser.
    >> Or temporary internet files.

    Well, that's what I suggested to look in the cache of your browser.
    Knowing now, that it is Netscape, you can go in the
    preferences/options.
    Go in advanced and push the button: delete cache.
    All files in the cache will be deleted.
    You can do this safely as these files only serve to make your browsng
    quicker if you go often to the same places. So while browsing after a
    delete, the cache files are building up again.

    btw, the same counts for Internet Explorer and other browsers like
    K-Meleon, Opera, FireFox

    --
    This is an automatic signature of MesNews.
    Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com
    Belgische Ardennen
    Belges

  7. Re: Disk Drive Full error/condition

    Hi,

    I'm a bit confused.

    In my most recent post I wrote:

    > > .......almost once a week, I open up
    > > Netscape advanced preferences and delete all disk and memory cache
    > > files.....

    You responded by saying:
    > .......you can go in the
    > preferences/options.
    > Go in advanced and push the button: delete cache.
    > All files in the cache will be deleted.

    But my question was.....

    > > Any idea how/why these files were still there after I supposed
    > > "deleted" the disk cache files?

    Anyway, I think I found out the answer myself:

    When you use the delete cache feature via the advanced options menu,
    you delete the cache for THAT SESSION ONLY.

    I do it about once a week or so....thinking I was clearing out
    everything. But in reality, I was only clearing out that day's worth
    of files. So, over time, the folder grew...and grew....and grew.

    Moral of the story: you need to manual clean out the folder.....or do
    the delete on a daily basis.

+ Reply to Thread