XP Desktop Icon Locations - Windows NT

This is a discussion on XP Desktop Icon Locations - Windows NT ; Hi, We have a bunch of public machines here in our library that are using mandatory roaming profiles. We recently discontinued the use of an application and so had to delete its icon from the desktop. This is ok but ...

  1. XP Desktop Icon Locations

    Hi,
    We have a bunch of public machines here in our library that are using
    mandatory roaming profiles. We recently discontinued the use of an
    application and so had to delete its icon from the desktop. This is ok but
    of course it was the 3rd out of only 5 icons arranged vertically on the
    desktop and its absence left a very asthetically unpleasing hole on the
    desktop. I can change the position of the remaining icons but when we
    reboot they revert back to their origianl locations. I'd really rather not
    have to go to all the trouble of uploading a new roaming profile for these
    machines as it seems every time we do we cause problems in other areas.
    I have looked for the location of desktop icons on the interent and I think
    I have it narrowed down to
    HKCU_Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer . . .
    After this it gets fuzzy. One post I saw said it was in the Streams key of
    the above but that was for 98.

    Also, I read it was the
    HKCU_Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Deskt op
    another place said the
    HKCU_Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Streams\Desktop
    Does anyone know what key it saves the location in and if so how to decode
    those locations?

    Due to the fact that we are using roaming mandatory profiles and there are a
    couple different profiles to update plus permission issues in updating the
    profile plus I would have to wait till we weren't open so no one else would
    mess everything up by logging off a puvlic machine while I was doing this .
    .. . It would be a lot easier if I could jsut change it in the registry

    Thanks!

  2. Re: XP Desktop Icon Locations

    "Rick Heckbert" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > We have a bunch of public machines here in our library that are using
    > mandatory roaming profiles. We recently discontinued the use of an
    > application and so had to delete its icon from the desktop. This is ok

    but
    > of course it was the 3rd out of only 5 icons arranged vertically on the
    > desktop and its absence left a very asthetically unpleasing hole on the
    > desktop. I can change the position of the remaining icons but when we
    > reboot they revert back to their origianl locations. I'd really rather

    not
    > have to go to all the trouble of uploading a new roaming profile for these
    > machines as it seems every time we do we cause problems in other areas.
    > I have looked for the location of desktop icons on the interent and I

    think
    > I have it narrowed down to
    > HKCU_Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer . . .
    > After this it gets fuzzy. One post I saw said it was in the Streams key

    of
    > the above but that was for 98.
    >
    > Also, I read it was the
    > HKCU_Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Deskt op
    > another place said the
    > HKCU_Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Streams\Desktop
    > Does anyone know what key it saves the location in and if so how to decode
    > those locations?
    >
    > Due to the fact that we are using roaming mandatory profiles and there are

    > couple different profiles to update plus permission issues in updating the
    > profile plus I would have to wait till we weren't open so no one else

    would
    > mess everything up by logging off a puvlic machine while I was doing this

    ..
    > . . It would be a lot easier if I could jsut change it in the registry
    >
    > Thanks!

    I think you're wasting your time. With roaming profiles, the registry
    gets copied from your server drive to your local drive, hence any
    changes you make to the local registry will be overwritten when you
    next log on.

  3. Re: XP Desktop Icon Locations

    I realize that but what I am trying to do is edit the centrally stored
    ntuser.man file itself

    You can load a server stroed reg file using regedt32 and the load hive
    function

    Thanks

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message

    > "Rick Heckbert" wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > We have a bunch of public machines here in our library that are using
    > > mandatory roaming profiles. We recently discontinued the use of an
    > > application and so had to delete its icon from the desktop. This is ok

    > but
    > > of course it was the 3rd out of only 5 icons arranged vertically on the
    > > desktop and its absence left a very asthetically unpleasing hole on the
    > > desktop. I can change the position of the remaining icons but when we
    > > reboot they revert back to their origianl locations. I'd really rather

    > not
    > > have to go to all the trouble of uploading a new roaming profile for

    these
    > > machines as it seems every time we do we cause problems in other areas.
    > > I have looked for the location of desktop icons on the interent and I

    > think
    > > I have it narrowed down to
    > > HKCU_Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer . . .
    > > After this it gets fuzzy. One post I saw said it was in the Streams key

    > of
    > > the above but that was for 98.
    > >
    > > Also, I read it was the
    > > HKCU_Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Deskt op
    > > another place said the
    > > HKCU_Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Streams\Desktop
    > > Does anyone know what key it saves the location in and if so how to

    decode
    > > those locations?
    > >
    > > Due to the fact that we are using roaming mandatory profiles and there

    are
    > > couple different profiles to update plus permission issues in updating

    the
    > > profile plus I would have to wait till we weren't open so no one else

    > would
    > > mess everything up by logging off a puvlic machine while I was doing

    this
    > .
    > > . . It would be a lot easier if I could jsut change it in the registry
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > I think you're wasting your time. With roaming profiles, the registry
    > gets copied from your server drive to your local drive, hence any
    > changes you make to the local registry will be overwritten when you
    > next log on.

  4. Re: XP Desktop Icon Locations

    If this is what you're trying to do then it would probably be easier
    to make your change locally while logged on as domain user X, then
    log on under a local admin account, then copy X's profile folder
    manually back to the appropriate home folder.

    > I realize that but what I am trying to do is edit the centrally stored
    > ntuser.man file itself
    >
    > You can load a server stroed reg file using regedt32 and the load hive
    > function
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rick Heckbert" wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > > We have a bunch of public machines here in our library that are using
    > > > mandatory roaming profiles. We recently discontinued the use of an
    > > > application and so had to delete its icon from the desktop. This is

    ok
    > > but
    > > > of course it was the 3rd out of only 5 icons arranged vertically on

    the
    > > > desktop and its absence left a very asthetically unpleasing hole on

    the
    > > > desktop. I can change the position of the remaining icons but when we
    > > > reboot they revert back to their origianl locations. I'd really

    rather
    > > not
    > > > have to go to all the trouble of uploading a new roaming profile for

    > these
    > > > machines as it seems every time we do we cause problems in other

    areas.
    > > > I have looked for the location of desktop icons on the interent and I

    > > think
    > > > I have it narrowed down to
    > > > HKCU_Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer . . .
    > > > After this it gets fuzzy. One post I saw said it was in the Streams

    key
    > > of
    > > > the above but that was for 98.
    > > >
    > > > Also, I read it was the
    > > > HKCU_Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Deskt op
    > > > another place said the

    HKCU_Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Streams\Desktop
    > > > Does anyone know what key it saves the location in and if so how to

    > decode
    > > > those locations?
    > > >
    > > > Due to the fact that we are using roaming mandatory profiles and there

    > are
    > > > couple different profiles to update plus permission issues in updating

    > the
    > > > profile plus I would have to wait till we weren't open so no one else

    > > would
    > > > mess everything up by logging off a puvlic machine while I was doing

    > this
    > > .
    > > > . . It would be a lot easier if I could jsut change it in the registry
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!

    > > I think you're wasting your time. With roaming profiles, the registry
    > > gets copied from your server drive to your local drive, hence any
    > > changes you make to the local registry will be overwritten when you
    > > next log on.

  5. Re: XP Desktop Icon Locations

    That won't work because as soon as you log on as another user, any changes
    you made as the previous user are lost when using roaming mandatory
    profiles. The profile you would see as admin is an old one adn in this case
    is the original one we copied up to the server.
    One thought I did have was to get into the local ntuser.dat.log file and ge
    the changes from there but it is giving me error messages when I try to
    access it, even from another profile

    Rick

    > If this is what you're trying to do then it would probably be easier
    > to make your change locally while logged on as domain user X, then
    > log on under a local admin account, then copy X's profile folder
    > manually back to the appropriate home folder.
    >

    > "Rick Heckbert" wrote in message
    > > I realize that but what I am trying to do is edit the centrally stored
    > > ntuser.man file itself
    > >
    > > You can load a server stroed reg file using regedt32 and the load hive
    > > function
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Rick Heckbert" wrote in message

    using

    > ok
    > > > but

    > the

    > the

    we

    > rather
    > > > not

    > > these

    > areas.

    > > > think

    > key
    > > > of

    > HKCU_Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Streams\Desktop

    > > decode

    there
    > > are

    updating
    > > the

    else
    > > > would

    > > this
    > > > .

    registry

    > > > I think you're wasting your time. With roaming profiles, the registry
    > > > gets copied from your server drive to your local drive, hence any
    > > > changes you make to the local registry will be overwritten when you
    > > > next log on.

  6. Re: XP Desktop Icon Locations

    I disagree. When you log off as domain user X, the profile folder
    for X persists. When you subsequently log on as local user Y
    then you can manipulate X's profile folder.

    You can easily prove this, by running this test:
    1. Log on as a local admin.
    2. Wipe X's local profile folder.
    3. Log on as X (domain validation)
    4. You will now find a new profile folder for X.
    5. Log off as X, then log on locally as Y.
    6. Check X's profile folder. It's still there!

    > That won't work because as soon as you log on as another user, any changes
    > you made as the previous user are lost when using roaming mandatory
    > profiles. The profile you would see as admin is an old one adn in this

    case
    > is the original one we copied up to the server.
    > One thought I did have was to get into the local ntuser.dat.log file and

    ge
    > the changes from there but it is giving me error messages when I try to
    > access it, even from another profile
    >
    > Rick
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message
    > > If this is what you're trying to do then it would probably be easier
    > > to make your change locally while logged on as domain user X, then
    > > log on under a local admin account, then copy X's profile folder
    > > manually back to the appropriate home folder.
    > >

    > > "Rick Heckbert" wrote in message
    > > > I realize that but what I am trying to do is edit the centrally stored
    > > > ntuser.man file itself
    > > >
    > > > You can load a server stroed reg file using regedt32 and the load hive
    > > > function
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message

    > using

    an

    is
    > > ok

    on
    > > the

    on
    > > the

    when
    > we

    > > rather

    for
    > > > these

    > > areas.

    and

    Streams
    > > key

    > > HKCU_Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Streams\Desktop

    > > > decode

    > there
    > > > are

    > updating