NTLDR Missing - unique situation. - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NTLDR Missing - unique situation. - Windows NT ; Hi there, I have a very uniqe situation and could use some advice. I'm getting the dreaded "NTLDR Missing. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot your computer." My computer has a Promise raid 2+0 with 2 x 20Gb drives stiped and partitioned ...

  1. NTLDR Missing - unique situation.

    Hi there,

    I have a very uniqe situation and could use some advice.

    I'm getting the dreaded "NTLDR Missing. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot your
    computer."

    My computer has a Promise raid 2+0 with 2 x 20Gb drives stiped and
    partitioned into 2 x 20Gb fat32 drives, C: and D:. On C: is a Win98se
    installation and on D: is a Win2000Pro installation. I can access the
    drives with a Win98 boot disk but when I try to repair using the Win2k boot
    disks, it doesn't see the Fat32 partitions. Nor does it detect the 2000
    installation.

    I have tried copying the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM to both C and D drives and
    I have also tried to SYS C: from the Win98 disk, but nothing seems to work.
    I have an 18 gig .bkf file on a 40Gb (NTFS) drive that it sees but without
    the GUI and NTBACKUP I can't restore anything.

    I have seen another fix that mentions fixing the BIOS parameter block (BPB)
    but I am weary till I know what effect that will have on the striped set.

    This all came about when I uninstalled an undelete utility. Can't remember
    the name of it right now but I won't evey use that again. lol

    Thanks.

    R.

  2. Re: NTLDR Missing - unique situation.

    InTrouble wrote...

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I have a very uniqe situation and could use some advice.
    >
    >I'm getting the dreaded "NTLDR Missing. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot your
    >computer."
    >
    >My computer has a Promise raid 2+0 with 2 x 20Gb drives stiped and
    >partitioned into 2 x 20Gb fat32 drives, C: and D:. On C: is a Win98se
    >installation and on D: is a Win2000Pro installation.

    I guess your NTLDR was put in the Win98 partition when you should put
    it to your W2KP partition.

    When you install W2PK on your 2nd partition, you should use Partition
    Magic to hide your Win98 partition. When booting up with an Win98 boot
    disk, the 2nd partition will be seen as C: (once formated).
    This way, each parition stores its own booting files.

    You may also want to run an OS selector (e.g. Powerquest Boot Manager)
    to choose which partition to boot to. When you boot to Win98, it is C:
    drive. When you boot to W2KP, it is still C: drive. No confusion.

  3. Re: NTLDR Missing - unique situation.

    InTrouble wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm getting the dreaded "NTLDR Missing.
    >
    > My computer has a Promise raid 2+0 with 2 x 20Gb drives stiped and
    > partitioned into 2 x 20Gb fat32 drives, C: and D:. On C: is a Win98se
    > installation and on D: is a Win2000Pro installation. I can access the
    > drives with a Win98 boot disk but when I try to repair using the Win2k boot
    > disks, it doesn't see the Fat32 partitions. Nor does it detect the 2000
    > installation.
    >
    > I have tried copying the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM to both C and D drives and
    > I have also tried to SYS C: from the Win98 disk, but nothing seems to work.
    > I have an 18 gig .bkf file on a 40Gb (NTFS) drive that it sees but without
    > the GUI and NTBACKUP I can't restore anything.

    You might still be able to boot from a floppy disk (discribed elsewehere
    in this group a few weeks ago). Have you tried this?

    Short version:
    format a fdd *on a w2k* PC
    copy NTDETECT.COM, NTLDR, NTBOOTDD.SYS (only for some SCSI systems) and
    BOOT.INI from your dead system to this fdd.
    try to boot from this fdd.

    What happens then?

    You might also be able to fix this problem or restore your system by
    adding a 2nd w2k on a 2nd hdd and booting from this w2k.

    You may also want to clone your system to another hdd. This has also
    been described a few weeks ago, I found a good tool to help you copying
    the files "xxcopy". Consider not to use a boot partition < 7.8 GByte if
    doing so.
    Don't use W9x/Me but w2k to partion this drive.

    Stephan

  4. Re: NTLDR Missing - unique situation.

    Thanks folks,

    I put the bootable win2000 CD in and at some point after a reboot I was able
    to boot into my 98se install in safe mode. The 2000 install was gone when I
    rebooted it regularly. I ran the install routine for 2000 again and when it
    rebooted suddenly there was 3 options to boot into... I picked my old 2000
    installation. From there is was able to delete the new 2000 install option
    and I'm back to where I was before I lost it.

    Thanks for all your help.

    I have another problem seeing as I've got your attention....

    Now that I have everything back to normal, I got myself a copy of XP Pro.
    How can I upgrade the 98se partition to NTFS and convert/over write/upgrade
    the 98 install to XP Pro without losing the dual boot info on drive C:?

    If I simply format C: to NTFS I won't be able to boot into Win2000 will I?

    Thanks in advance.

    "Harry" wrote in message
    > InTrouble wrote...
    > >
    > >Hi there,
    > >
    > >I have a very uniqe situation and could use some advice.
    > >
    > >I'm getting the dreaded "NTLDR Missing. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot

    your
    > >computer."
    > >
    > >My computer has a Promise raid 2+0 with 2 x 20Gb drives stiped and
    > >partitioned into 2 x 20Gb fat32 drives, C: and D:. On C: is a Win98se
    > >installation and on D: is a Win2000Pro installation.

    > I guess your NTLDR was put in the Win98 partition when you should put
    > it to your W2KP partition.
    >
    > When you install W2PK on your 2nd partition, you should use Partition
    > Magic to hide your Win98 partition. When booting up with an Win98 boot
    > disk, the 2nd partition will be seen as C: (once formated).
    > This way, each parition stores its own booting files.
    >
    > You may also want to run an OS selector (e.g. Powerquest Boot Manager)
    > to choose which partition to boot to. When you boot to Win98, it is C:
    > drive. When you boot to W2KP, it is still C: drive. No confusion.

  5. Re: NTLDR Missing - unique situation.

    InTrouble wrote:

    [...]
    > I have another problem seeing as I've got your attention....
    >
    > Now that I have everything back to normal, I got myself a copy of XP Pro.
    > How can I upgrade the 98se partition to NTFS and convert/over write/upgrade
    > the 98 install to XP Pro without losing the dual boot info on drive C:?
    >
    > If I simply format C: to NTFS I won't be able to boot into Win2000 will I?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    If you want to upgrade your Win98SE to XP everything should work fine if
    you convert your C: from within the XP setup (and then finish the
    setup). If you do this from outside you'll destroy the following
    information:

    boot sector

    NTDETECT.COM
    NTLDR
    (NTBOOTDD.SYS)
    BOOT.INI

    (located in the root folder of your C: drive)

    Whatever you do, first you may want to format a floppy disk in W2K and
    copy these files to the floppy.
    You should be able to "boot" W2K from this floppy.
    If you can verify this it should be pretty safe to install XP.

    I don't have any experience in istalling XP but I see no reason why you
    should get any troubles when upgrading.
    However, I always prefer having a bootable fdd - it calms the nerves...

    Stephan

+ Reply to Thread