NT4 Server keeps rebooting after winupdate - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NT4 Server keeps rebooting after winupdate - Windows NT ; Today I ran a winupdate on a NT4.0 SP6a server. Now the server keeps rebooting continiously. I cannot access vga mode either. Does anyone have a clue?? Thx, Ron...

  1. NT4 Server keeps rebooting after winupdate

    Today I ran a winupdate on a NT4.0 SP6a server.
    Now the server keeps rebooting continiously.

    I cannot access vga mode either.

    Does anyone have a clue??

    Thx,
    Ron

  2. Re: NT4 Server keeps rebooting after winupdate

    "[remove_me]rba01" wrote:

    > Today I ran a winupdate on a NT4.0 SP6a server.
    > Now the server keeps rebooting continiously.
    >
    > I cannot access vga mode either.

    How far will the machine boot if you choose standard mode, VGA mode,
    last known good configuration?

    Stephan

  3. Re: NT4 Server keeps rebooting after winupdate

    > How far will the machine boot if you choose standard mode, VGA mode,
    > last known good configuration?
    >
    > Stephan

    The machine will boot untill the logon screen. Performing a logon will
    cause a reboot. Waiting a few minutes without a logon will cause a
    reboot too. I tried VGA mode and last known good cfg, no go.

    I'm sure it has something to do with one of the MS updates.

    Ron

  4. Re: NT4 Server keeps rebooting after winupdate

    > How far will the machine boot if you choose standard mode, VGA mode,
    > last known good configuration?
    >
    > Stephan

    The machine will boot untill the logon screen. Performing a logon will
    cause a reboot. Waiting a few minutes without a logon will cause a
    reboot too. I tried VGA mode and last known good cfg, no go.

    I'm sure it has something to do with one of the MS updates.

    Ron

  5. Re: NT4 Server keeps rebooting after winupdate

    > How far will the machine boot if you choose standard mode, VGA mode,
    > last known good configuration?
    >
    > Stephan

    The machine will boot untill the logon screen. Performing a logon will
    cause a reboot. Waiting a few minutes without a logon will cause a
    reboot too. I tried VGA mode and last known good cfg, no go.

    I'm sure it has something to do with one of the MS updates.

    Ron

  6. Re: NT4 Server keeps rebooting after winupdate

    George Odd wrote:

    > The machine will boot untill the logon screen. Performing a logon will
    > cause a reboot. Waiting a few minutes without a logon will cause a
    > reboot too. I tried VGA mode and last known good cfg, no go.

    So you've got a running Windows but cannot logon.
    There are a lot of possible reasons why this problem occurs.
    But before trying anything else you should try the obvious:

    1) The user profile you want to logon with might be demaged.
    Have you tried to logon using another account? (local/domain)?

    2) Maybe you don't get an instant reboot but a BSOD followed by a
    reboot, because you told Windows to reboot after a stop error. Anyway,
    the troubles might come from a program that is loaded *after* your logon
    (e.g. in your autostart folder). Some of these programs can be prevented
    from started by pressing the Ctrl-key whilst logon (press the Ctrl-Key
    before hitting the "OK" in the logon screen an do not release it until
    everything is fine or you get the reboot again).

    3) As this machine is a server, you should be able to access and maybe
    administrate ist remotely?

    4) Maybe the reboots can be avoided by preventing some non-vital
    services/programs from starting. You can achieve this by a) removing all
    unneeded hardware (first try: network card!) and b) renaming the needed
    files. The latter implies of course a local/remote access to these
    files. Have you got this access?

    > I'm sure it has something to do with one of the MS updates.

    Ok, but: is the update itself or a failed update to blame? I got a
    similar problem a few years ago: After an update, booting ended alway up
    in a BSOD. The reason was a bit error in an updated system dll. (Yes,
    one single bit in one single file had be copied wrong). This had likely
    come from an overclocked memory configuration. Slowing down the memory
    and replacing the demaged dll was all to be done. And there are more
    trivial reasons why a "proper" update could fail (e.g. swap file, hdd
    space, ...)

    If the points above won't help we need to know if and how you can still
    access the system, whether you've got rescue disks and so on.

    Stephan

  7. Re: NT4 Server keeps rebooting after winupdate

    > Some of these programs can be prevented
    > from started by pressing the Ctrl-key whilst logon (press the Ctrl-Key
    > before hitting the "OK" in the logon screen an do not release it until
    > everything is fine or you get the reboot again).

    This part won't work, the machine is still going to reboot,

    > 3) As this machine is a server, you should be able to access and maybe
    > administrate ist remotely?

    Even this won't work because the machine reboots before I can connect it
    remotely.

    > 4) Maybe the reboots can be avoided by preventing some non-vital
    > services/programs from starting. You can achieve this by a) removing all
    > unneeded hardware (first try: network card!) and b) renaming the needed
    > files. The latter implies of course a local/remote access to these
    > files. Have you got this access?

    a) I'm gonna remove the NIC's right after this posting. Good idea :-)
    b) I don't have any access to the machine, but maybe if part "a" works
    out I can try to remove some files.

    >>I'm sure it has something to do with one of the MS updates.
    >>

    > Ok, but: is the update itself or a failed update to blame? I got a
    > similar problem a few years ago: After an update, booting ended alway up
    > in a BSOD. The reason was a bit error in an updated system dll. (Yes,
    > one single bit in one single file had be copied wrong). This had likely
    > come from an overclocked memory configuration. Slowing down the memory
    > and replacing the demaged dll was all to be done. And there are more
    > trivial reasons why a "proper" update could fail (e.g. swap file, hdd
    > space, ...)

    I've got a hunch that it indeed has something todo with an updated DLL
    or services or something like that.

    > If the points above won't help we need to know if and how you can still
    > access the system, whether you've got rescue disks and so on.

    I'm searching for the RD, which is an older one but thats no problem.

    The machine is not performing a normal reboot. Once the green/blue NT
    screen is popping up and the logon menu appears a few seconds later the
    black bios screen appeared and the machine is starting up again.

    Strange is that since today one of my colleagues has exactly the same
    problem on the same os. Different site different hardware.

    Keep u posted.

    > Stephan

    Ron

  8. Re: NT4 Server keeps rebooting after winupdate

    > a) I'm gonna remove the NIC's right after this posting. Good idea :-)

    Isn't working either.

    I'm putting one of the SCSI HD's as secondary drive in another machine
    so that I can access the data on it. Maybe this will tell me something
    about the cause of the problem.

    Ron

  9. Re: NT4 Server keeps rebooting after winupdate

    George Odd wrote:

    > > a) I'm gonna remove the NIC's right after this posting. Good idea :-)

    > Isn't working either.

    I've just made some deeper investigations concerning your troubles.
    Very possible they are caused by HotFix 835732. According to MS only
    multitprocessor systems are reported to run in troubles with this hotfix
    but it seems as if this is not the whole truth.
    If you still can't logon try to access the uninstall folder
    $NtUninstallKB835732$ and take a look in the uninst.inf for what could
    be done.

    I'll keep you informed if I find more about this.

    Good luck

    Stephan

  10. Re: NT4 Server keeps rebooting after winupdate

    Karl-Stephan Werkmeister wrote:

    > I'll keep you informed if I find more about this.

    Found an interesting thread in news:microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain:

    From:Tom (ag1660@wayne.edu)
    Subject:Latest updates crashed live NT 4.0 server
    Date:2004-04-15 13:12:31 PST

    I qoute:
    "The corrective action was to copy the NTOSKRNL.EXE file from
    the $NtUninstallKB835732$ folder (the hidden backout Dir)
    INTO \Winnt\System32".

    Hope this helps.

    Stephan

  11. Re: NT4 Server keeps rebooting after winupdate

    > Found an interesting thread in news:microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain:
    >
    > From:Tom (ag1660@wayne.edu)
    > Subject:Latest updates crashed live NT 4.0 server
    > Date:2004-04-15 13:12:31 PST
    >
    > I qoute:
    > "The corrective action was to copy the NTOSKRNL.EXE file from
    > the $NtUninstallKB835732$ folder (the hidden backout Dir)
    > INTO \Winnt\System32".
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Stephan

    It seems that we have a solution here. I'll keep u posted if it works
    out or not.

    Ron

+ Reply to Thread