How do I reset a file date? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on How do I reset a file date? - Windows NT ; I recently converted a large number of documents from one format to another, but unfortunately the conversion utility would not preserve the files dates. Is there Windows command (NT or XP) which will reset the date on a file to ...

  1. How do I reset a file date?

    I recently converted a large number of documents from one format
    to another, but unfortunately the conversion utility would not
    preserve the files dates. Is there Windows command (NT or XP)
    which will reset the date on a file to match the date of another
    file (like 'touch' in Unix)? If not in Windows itself then perhaps
    in one of the Resource Kits?

    If there is no native Windows command that will do this then what
    third-party utility would you recommend? It has to work from the
    command line, because I want to write a script to set the timestamps
    on the converted files based on the corresponding unconverted files.
    --
    John Brock
    jbrock@panix.com

  2. Re: How do I reset a file date?

    "John Brock" wrote in message
    > I recently converted a large number of documents from one format
    > to another, but unfortunately the conversion utility would not
    > preserve the files dates. Is there Windows command (NT or XP)
    > which will reset the date on a file to match the date of another
    > file (like 'touch' in Unix)? If not in Windows itself then perhaps
    > in one of the Resource Kits?
    >
    > If there is no native Windows command that will do this then what
    > third-party utility would you recommend? It has to work from the
    > command line, because I want to write a script to set the timestamps
    > on the converted files based on the corresponding unconverted files.
    > --
    > John Brock
    > jbrock@panix.com

    Check Google for one of the countless free versions of touch.exe
    for Windows. Most are command line driven.

  3. Re: How do I reset a file date?

    copy filename.ext+,,

    Touches the modified date to NOW.

    Change clock then

    cmd /c copy c:\boot.ini+,,

    Change clock back.

    http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/index.html
    "John Brock" wrote in message news:c9gqof$d65$1@panix3.panix.com...
    > I recently converted a large number of documents from one format
    > to another, but unfortunately the conversion utility would not
    > preserve the files dates. Is there Windows command (NT or XP)
    > which will reset the date on a file to match the date of another
    > file (like 'touch' in Unix)? If not in Windows itself then perhaps
    > in one of the Resource Kits?
    >
    > If there is no native Windows command that will do this then what
    > third-party utility would you recommend? It has to work from the
    > command line, because I want to write a script to set the timestamps
    > on the converted files based on the corresponding unconverted files.
    > --
    > John Brock
    > jbrock@panix.com

  4. Re: How do I reset a file date?

    My file manager program will allow me to change all the file attributes,
    including the date and time. I can also change the files in all the sub
    directories at the same time. Real quick!

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "John Brock" wrote in message
    > I recently converted a large number of documents from one format
    > to another, but unfortunately the conversion utility would not
    > preserve the files dates. Is there Windows command (NT or XP)
    > which will reset the date on a file to match the date of another
    > file (like 'touch' in Unix)? If not in Windows itself then perhaps
    > in one of the Resource Kits?
    >
    > If there is no native Windows command that will do this then what
    > third-party utility would you recommend? It has to work from the
    > command line, because I want to write a script to set the timestamps
    > on the converted files based on the corresponding unconverted files.
    > --
    > John Brock
    > jbrock@panix.com

  5. Re: How do I reset a file date?

    In article ,
    Pegasus \(MVP\) wrote:

    >"John Brock" wrote in message
    >> I recently converted a large number of documents from one format
    >> to another, but unfortunately the conversion utility would not
    >> preserve the files dates. Is there Windows command (NT or XP)
    >> which will reset the date on a file to match the date of another
    >> file (like 'touch' in Unix)? If not in Windows itself then perhaps
    >> in one of the Resource Kits?
    >>
    >> If there is no native Windows command that will do this then what
    >> third-party utility would you recommend? It has to work from the
    >> command line, because I want to write a script to set the timestamps
    >> on the converted files based on the corresponding unconverted files.

    >Check Google for one of the countless free versions of touch.exe
    >for Windows. Most are command line driven.

    Thanks. Actually though it occurs to me now that the easiest thing
    for me to do would be to just zip up the entire directory tree,
    move the whole thing to a Unix system, run a script there that uses
    the Unix 'touch' command, and then copy everything back the same
    way. It's a little awkward, but it's a one time deal anyway so
    that doesn't matter much.
    --
    John Brock
    jbrock@panix.com

  6. Re: How do I reset a file date?

    "John Brock" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > Pegasus \(MVP\) wrote:
    >
    > >"John Brock" wrote in message
    > >> I recently converted a large number of documents from one format
    > >> to another, but unfortunately the conversion utility would not
    > >> preserve the files dates. Is there Windows command (NT or XP)
    > >> which will reset the date on a file to match the date of another
    > >> file (like 'touch' in Unix)? If not in Windows itself then perhaps
    > >> in one of the Resource Kits?
    > >>
    > >> If there is no native Windows command that will do this then what
    > >> third-party utility would you recommend? It has to work from the
    > >> command line, because I want to write a script to set the timestamps
    > >> on the converted files based on the corresponding unconverted files.

    > >Check Google for one of the countless free versions of touch.exe
    > >for Windows. Most are command line driven.

    > Thanks. Actually though it occurs to me now that the easiest thing
    > for me to do would be to just zip up the entire directory tree,
    > move the whole thing to a Unix system, run a script there that uses
    > the Unix 'touch' command, and then copy everything back the same
    > way. It's a little awkward, but it's a one time deal anyway so
    > that doesn't matter much.
    > --
    > John Brock
    > jbrock@panix.com

    I disagree. Touching files is something that needs to be done
    time and again. To me, touch.exe is part of my standard tool
    kit. But then everybody has his own preferences.

  7. Re: How do I reset a file date?

    And your trusty file manager program is called what?

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 23:41:01 -0400, "Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)"
    wrote:

    >My file manager program will allow me to change all the file attributes,
    >including the date and time. I can also change the files in all the sub
    >directories at the same time. Real quick!

  8. Re: How do I reset a file date?

    Total Commander from http://www.ghisler.com/. It's so good I finally paid
    for it.

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Russ" wrote in message
    > And your trusty file manager program is called what?
    >

    > On Mon, 31 May 2004 23:41:01 -0400, "Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >My file manager program will allow me to change all the file attributes,
    > >including the date and time. I can also change the files in all the sub
    > >directories at the same time. Real quick!

+ Reply to Thread