Windows memory problem - more than 2GB needed - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Windows memory problem - more than 2GB needed - Windows NT ; We are having problem with memory in Windows XP. We have large autocad file (map with many layers and rasters). We need to export it to PDF or PS. Error occured while doing it is "out of memory". Configuration we ...

  1. Windows memory problem - more than 2GB needed

    We are having problem with memory in Windows XP.

    We have large autocad file (map with many layers and rasters). We need to
    export it to PDF or PS.
    Error occured while doing it is "out of memory".

    Configuration we are using is 3.2 GHz Intel CPU i 2GB RAM + 2 SATA discs.

    Can someone advise us what to do next.
    Are there parameters in Acrobat or AutoCAD we need to set different that
    would help?
    Would more RAM (4GB) help?
    How to allocate more then 2 GB memory for application in windows XP? Is it
    true that WinXP with 4GB RAM allocates only 2GB for application?

    Or we need more powerful workstation? Like what?

    Please advise us on mail marijan.poljak@zg.htnet.hr

    Thanks

  2. Re: Windows memory problem - more than 2GB needed

    I don't have any experience with PCs with more than 2 GB RAM, but I know that the 32 bit limit of 4 GB RAM was divided with 2 GB for system and 2 GB for applications. I don't know if WinXP can get around this old limitation. In any case increasing RAM will not help if virtual memory (page file) is 4 GB. Any OS and application has file size limitations. I don't remember what they are for the applications you are using because I never work with files over 700 MB. A 64 bit workstation would eliminate any OS problems but you would still be limited by your applications.

    --

    When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

+ Reply to Thread