simple hard drive upgrade question - Windows NT

This is a discussion on simple hard drive upgrade question - Windows NT ; I have a pretty simple question, I used to know alot more about the topic but its been so long since I had to know this stuff. I know this is a 2000 group but know people here will know ...

  1. simple hard drive upgrade question

    I have a pretty simple question, I used to know alot more about the topic but
    its been so long since I had to know this stuff. I know this is a 2000 group
    but know people here will know the answer.

    How do i upgrade a Winnt system from a 2gig fat16 partition to be 4gig. or any
    larger for that matter? The system has to remain the same, but I need to
    increase the root drive size.

    I am upgrading a hard drive for someone who needs to keep WINNT on his system.
    he has 3 partitions.
    c: 2gig fat16
    d: 2gig fat16
    e: 10gig ntfs
    I bought the new drive, made a ghost image of it and it automaticaly set up the
    new drive to work with the new partitions. Basically it set the fat16 drive to
    have the c drive to be a 4 gig. The ghost goes through fine, but the pc wont
    start, just the blinking cursor. When I go to recover it back to the 2 gig root
    drive size it works. I just need to increase the root hard drive size. Thx

    Joe

  2. Re: simple hard drive upgrade question

    "NEONITY" wrote in message
    > I have a pretty simple question, I used to know alot more about the topic

    but
    > its been so long since I had to know this stuff. I know this is a 2000

    group
    > but know people here will know the answer.
    >
    > How do i upgrade a Winnt system from a 2gig fat16 partition to be 4gig. or

    any
    > larger for that matter? The system has to remain the same, but I need to
    > increase the root drive size.
    >
    > I am upgrading a hard drive for someone who needs to keep WINNT on his

    system.
    > he has 3 partitions.
    > c: 2gig fat16
    > d: 2gig fat16
    > e: 10gig ntfs
    > I bought the new drive, made a ghost image of it and it automaticaly set

    up the
    > new drive to work with the new partitions. Basically it set the fat16

    drive to
    > have the c drive to be a 4 gig. The ghost goes through fine, but the pc

    wont
    > start, just the blinking cursor. When I go to recover it back to the 2 gig

    root
    > drive size it works. I just need to increase the root hard drive size. Thx

    actually i'd recommend using NTFS for an NT system

    however you are in luck because NT4 is probably the only OS that can
    actually use a 4 gig fat16 partition

  3. Re: simple hard drive upgrade question

    "NEONITY" wrote in message
    > I have a pretty simple question, I used to know alot more about the topic

    but
    > its been so long since I had to know this stuff. I know this is a 2000

    group
    > but know people here will know the answer.
    >
    > How do i upgrade a Winnt system from a 2gig fat16 partition to be 4gig. or

    any
    > larger for that matter? The system has to remain the same, but I need to
    > increase the root drive size.
    >
    > I am upgrading a hard drive for someone who needs to keep WINNT on his

    system.
    > he has 3 partitions.
    > c: 2gig fat16
    > d: 2gig fat16
    > e: 10gig ntfs
    > I bought the new drive, made a ghost image of it and it automaticaly set

    up the
    > new drive to work with the new partitions. Basically it set the fat16

    drive to
    > have the c drive to be a 4 gig. The ghost goes through fine, but the pc

    wont
    > start, just the blinking cursor. When I go to recover it back to the 2 gig

    root
    > drive size it works. I just need to increase the root hard drive size. Thx
    >
    > Joe

    Try this:
    - Format a floppy disk on some WinNT/2000/XP PC
    - Copy these hidden files from your NT disk to the floppy:
    c:\ntldr, c:\ntdetec.com, c:\boot.ini
    - Boot the WinNT with this floppy disk. WinNT will start.
    - Convert drive C: to NTFS
    - Make sure drive C: is the active partition.

+ Reply to Thread