"Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts" - Windows NT

This is a discussion on "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts" - Windows NT ; Dear Readers, Before posting a CMD.EXE command line script related question please be aware of the information and solutions material already available, such as 94268 Mar 31 2004 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tscmd.zip tscmd.zip Useful NT/2000/XP script tricks and tips, T.Salmi In case of ...

  1. "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    Dear Readers,

    Before posting a CMD.EXE command line script related question please be
    aware of the information and solutions material already available, such
    as

    94268 Mar 31 2004 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tscmd.zip
    tscmd.zip Useful NT/2000/XP script tricks and tips, T.Salmi

    In case of grave difficulties in getting this file from Garbo archives
    see
    Sites with permission to mirror Garbo archives
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/garbinfo/garbmirr.html

    The contents of the FAQ-like script tips collection is given below.
    For more command line script or near information sources please see

    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/http2.html#cmdscript

    This file TSCMDIDX.TXT lists the contents of

    1CMDFAQ.TXT NT/2000/XP CMD.EXE Script Tricks
    in ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tscmd.zip
    Alternatively available with the version number as
    ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/ts/tscmd19.zip

    1} How get today's date elements into environment variables?
    2} On Windows XP how do you stop the script files from closing?
    3} How can I customize the Command Prompt Window with script commands?
    4} How can I test is it on MSDOS/Win3..9x/Me or NT/2000/XP?
    5} How do I get a fully qualified path name of my script?
    6} How does one get yesterday's date?
    7} How can I test if two files agree in size and datetime stamp?
    8} How do I find all the files made at of after YYYYMMDD HHMM?
    9} How can I suppress script error messages altogether?
    10} How can I change the environment variable values within a FOR loop?
    11} How do I retain my original code page in these scripts?
    12} How can I rename all my .JPG files sequentially in a folder?
    13} How do I get the current day of the week?
    14} Help! My old batch files won't work since there is no choice.
    15} Is it possible to echo without linefeed like the Unix echo -n?
    16} How can I get the time without having to press enter?
    17} How can I avoid the potential "ECHO is off." in echoing %myvar%
    18} How does one build re-usable script function modules?
    19} How can one build a delay / sleep / wait procedure for a script?
    20} Is is possible to right-justify numbers or words in a script?
    21} Do you have pointers to additional script material and tips?
    22} How do I capture the current folder name into a variable?
    23} How do I get the n:th, the first and the last line of a text file?
    24} How do I get the m:th item on the n:th line of a text file?
    25} How can I quote with e.g. "> " an entire message?
    26} How do I get the length of a string into a variable?
    27} How can I remove all the blank lines from a text file?
    28} How to convert a file written in IBM PC characters into LATIN1?
    29} How do I drop the first two characters of a string, and so on?
    30} Can one calculate the difference between two times in a script?
    31} How many days ago was 31.12.2003? What date it was a 100 days ago?
    32} How can I convert a decimal number to binary, octal, hexadecimal?
    33} How can I convert a binary, octal, hexadecimal into a decimal?
    34} How can I remove the quote characters from a line?
    35} How can I substitute the second field on each line of my file?
    36} I start a program from my script and it hogs my command window.
    37} How can I insert a line in the middle of a file with a script?
    38} How can I set and test the errorlevel within a script file?
    39} Is there a subroutine to convert a variable into uppercase?
    40} How do I get the number of arguments given to a script?
    41} How can I create a zero-byte file? How do I test for it?
    42} What is the subroutine for testing a filename for wildcards?
    43} Is there a way of counting the number of files in a folder?
    44} How do I get the first 68 columns from a text file?
    45} How can I find out how many days old a file is?
    46} Is a program available in the default folder or at path?
    47} Is it possible to echo the redirection symbol in a script?
    48} Why do some comment lines cause errors? What can I do about it?
    49} I need to reverse a text file. How do I do that fairly quickly?
    50} How do I get the position of a substring in a string?
    51} How can I echo lines in different colors in NT scripts?
    52} How can I enter a password into a variable without echoing it?
    53} How can I test if a disk device is ready or not?
    54} How can I get the type of a disk device?
    55} How to get the creation, last modified and last access of a file?
    56} How to find and move more recent files from one folder to another?
    57} How do I get a list of all my empty folders on c:\ ?
    58} How do I best combine two quoted arguments into one quoted string?
    59} How do I find if a folder exists? How about visible files in it?
    60} How do I delete all but most recent 20 files in a folder?
    61} How can one devise a command line calculator?
    62} How can I compare within a script if two files are identical?
    63} How to perform a command on each line of file as an argument?
    64} How to count the number of lines in a file, empty lines inclusive?
    65} How do I add text in front and after each line in a text file?

    All the best, Timo

    Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
    mailto:ts@uwasa.fi ; FIN-65101, Finland
    Timo's FAQ materials at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

  2. Spam Alert

+ Reply to Thread