Migrating User Accounts for another identical Win2003 Server - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Migrating User Accounts for another identical Win2003 Server - Windows NT ; My client has only one server running Windows 2003 with Active Directory. I need to build and migrate all existing users and their password to a new Windows 2003 Server which is going to have the same forest name. The ...

  1. Migrating User Accounts for another identical Win2003 Server

    My client has only one server running Windows 2003 with Active
    Directory. I need to build and migrate all existing users and their
    password to a new Windows 2003 Server which is going to have the same
    forest name. The computer name (or the domain name ??) can be
    different, but keeping it the same as the old one is preferred.

    Does anyone know any method to achieve the users migration between 2
    identifical server? If not, I am wondering if I could simply build
    the new one using a different computername, promote it to become a DC
    in the same forest, migrate all users and roles to the new one, then
    de-promote the old one and disconnect it.

    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    Antonio

  2. Re: Migrating User Accounts for another identical Win2003 Server

    From Win 2000 there is no PDC or BDC, any server set up as a DC will
    replicate any domain info. So to move users, just create another DC and
    leave it for a few hours to replicate the data from one to the other then
    turn the other off. However, since you have Active directory set up, that
    first maching will be set-up as the Global Catalog server which i don't
    think you can migrate to another machine, in 2000 anyway.

    "laman" wrote in message
    news:a7873a58.0405102220.7b65c2a2@posting.google.c om...
    > My client has only one server running Windows 2003 with Active
    > Directory. I need to build and migrate all existing users and their
    > password to a new Windows 2003 Server which is going to have the same
    > forest name. The computer name (or the domain name ??) can be
    > different, but keeping it the same as the old one is preferred.
    >
    > Does anyone know any method to achieve the users migration between 2
    > identifical server? If not, I am wondering if I could simply build
    > the new one using a different computername, promote it to become a DC
    > in the same forest, migrate all users and roles to the new one, then
    > de-promote the old one and disconnect it.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Antonio

  3. Re: Migrating User Accounts for another identical Win2003 Server

    I'm working to a software that it will be able to import all user accounts from a server and store in a database in order to build
    in an other server. If you are interested please contact me.
    Look at: http://www.netuser.1cis.com

    "laman" ha scritto nel messaggio news:a7873a58.0405102220.7b65c2a2@posting.google.c om...
    > My client has only one server running Windows 2003 with Active
    > Directory. I need to build and migrate all existing users and their
    > password to a new Windows 2003 Server which is going to have the same
    > forest name. The computer name (or the domain name ??) can be
    > different, but keeping it the same as the old one is preferred.
    >
    > Does anyone know any method to achieve the users migration between 2
    > identifical server? If not, I am wondering if I could simply build
    > the new one using a different computername, promote it to become a DC
    > in the same forest, migrate all users and roles to the new one, then
    > de-promote the old one and disconnect it.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Antonio

+ Reply to Thread