"Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts" - Windows NT

This is a discussion on "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts" - Windows NT ; Dear Readers, Before posting a CMD.EXE command line script related question please be aware of the information and solutions material already available, such as 94268 Mar 31 2004 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tscmd.zip tscmd.zip Useful NT/2000/XP script tricks and tips, T.Salmi In case of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    Dear Readers,

    Before posting a CMD.EXE command line script related question please be
    aware of the information and solutions material already available, such
    as

    94268 Mar 31 2004 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tscmd.zip
    tscmd.zip Useful NT/2000/XP script tricks and tips, T.Salmi

    In case of grave difficulties in getting this file from Garbo archives
    see
    Sites with permission to mirror Garbo archives
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/garbinfo/garbmirr.html

    The contents of the FAQ-like script tips collection is given below.
    For more command line script or near information sources please see

    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/http2.html#cmdscript

    This file TSCMDIDX.TXT lists the contents of

    1CMDFAQ.TXT NT/2000/XP CMD.EXE Script Tricks
    in ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tscmd.zip
    Alternatively available with the version number as
    ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/ts/tscmd19.zip

    1} How get today's date elements into environment variables?
    2} On Windows XP how do you stop the script files from closing?
    3} How can I customize the Command Prompt Window with script commands?
    4} How can I test is it on MSDOS/Win3..9x/Me or NT/2000/XP?
    5} How do I get a fully qualified path name of my script?
    6} How does one get yesterday's date?
    7} How can I test if two files agree in size and datetime stamp?
    8} How do I find all the files made at of after YYYYMMDD HHMM?
    9} How can I suppress script error messages altogether?
    10} How can I change the environment variable values within a FOR loop?
    11} How do I retain my original code page in these scripts?
    12} How can I rename all my .JPG files sequentially in a folder?
    13} How do I get the current day of the week?
    14} Help! My old batch files won't work since there is no choice.
    15} Is it possible to echo without linefeed like the Unix echo -n?
    16} How can I get the time without having to press enter?
    17} How can I avoid the potential "ECHO is off." in echoing %myvar%
    18} How does one build re-usable script function modules?
    19} How can one build a delay / sleep / wait procedure for a script?
    20} Is is possible to right-justify numbers or words in a script?
    21} Do you have pointers to additional script material and tips?
    22} How do I capture the current folder name into a variable?
    23} How do I get the n:th, the first and the last line of a text file?
    24} How do I get the m:th item on the n:th line of a text file?
    25} How can I quote with e.g. "> " an entire message?
    26} How do I get the length of a string into a variable?
    27} How can I remove all the blank lines from a text file?
    28} How to convert a file written in IBM PC characters into LATIN1?
    29} How do I drop the first two characters of a string, and so on?
    30} Can one calculate the difference between two times in a script?
    31} How many days ago was 31.12.2003? What date it was a 100 days ago?
    32} How can I convert a decimal number to binary, octal, hexadecimal?
    33} How can I convert a binary, octal, hexadecimal into a decimal?
    34} How can I remove the quote characters from a line?
    35} How can I substitute the second field on each line of my file?
    36} I start a program from my script and it hogs my command window.
    37} How can I insert a line in the middle of a file with a script?
    38} How can I set and test the errorlevel within a script file?
    39} Is there a subroutine to convert a variable into uppercase?
    40} How do I get the number of arguments given to a script?
    41} How can I create a zero-byte file? How do I test for it?
    42} What is the subroutine for testing a filename for wildcards?
    43} Is there a way of counting the number of files in a folder?
    44} How do I get the first 68 columns from a text file?
    45} How can I find out how many days old a file is?
    46} Is a program available in the default folder or at path?
    47} Is it possible to echo the redirection symbol in a script?
    48} Why do some comment lines cause errors? What can I do about it?
    49} I need to reverse a text file. How do I do that fairly quickly?
    50} How do I get the position of a substring in a string?
    51} How can I echo lines in different colors in NT scripts?
    52} How can I enter a password into a variable without echoing it?
    53} How can I test if a disk device is ready or not?
    54} How can I get the type of a disk device?
    55} How to get the creation, last modified and last access of a file?
    56} How to find and move more recent files from one folder to another?
    57} How do I get a list of all my empty folders on c:\ ?
    58} How do I best combine two quoted arguments into one quoted string?
    59} How do I find if a folder exists? How about visible files in it?
    60} How do I delete all but most recent 20 files in a folder?
    61} How can one devise a command line calculator?
    62} How can I compare within a script if two files are identical?
    63} How to perform a command on each line of file as an argument?
    64} How to count the number of lines in a file, empty lines inclusive?
    65} How do I add text in front and after each line in a text file?

    All the best, Timo

    Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
    mailto:ts@uwasa.fi ; FIN-65101, Finland
    Timo's FAQ materials at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

  2. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    Go away!

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "Timo Salmi" wrote in message
> [...]
    > 56} How to find and move more recent files from one folder to another?
    > 57} How do I get a list of all my empty folders on c:\ ?
    > 58} How do I best combine two quoted arguments into one quoted string?
    > 59} How do I find if a folder exists? How about visible files in it?
    > 60} How do I delete all but most recent 20 files in a folder?
    > 61} How can one devise a command line calculator?
    > 62} How can I compare within a script if two files are identical?
    > 63} How to perform a command on each line of file as an argument?
    > 64} How to count the number of lines in a file, empty lines inclusive?
    > 65} How do I add text in front and after each line in a text file?
    >
    > All the best, Timo
    >
    > --
    > Prof. Timo Salmi ftp & http://garbo.uwasa.fi/ archives 193.166.120.5
    > Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa

  3. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    Kelly wrote:
    > "Timo Salmi" wrote in message

    > > 94268 Mar 31 2004 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tscmd.zip
    > > tscmd.zip Useful NT/2000/XP script tricks and tips, T.Salmi

    (megasnip)

    > Go away!

    Why don't you lay off your stupid FAQ postings and referrals?
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/faqoff.html

    Of proper quoting
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html

    All the best, Timo

    Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
    mailto:ts@uwasa.fi ; FIN-65101, Finland
    Timo's FAQ materials at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

  4. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    "Kelly" wrote:

    >Go away!

    Why? And from where?

    In the newsgroups I read (not all from the header) Timo's regular faq is
    welcome.
    Your complaints with unneccessary full quotes are bothering me more.
    If you like I'll send you some links on netiquette :-)

    X'Post + F'up2 ambn

    --
    Greetings
    Matthias________________________________________

  5. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    You bother me even more with your pathetic snipping. How are people supposed to follow what this is about. But your post and Jerold's and Jim's have been ****ting me for years. AND IT IS SPAM designed to drive traffic to you site.

    Lets take kelly. She doesn't spam. As a result I reckon she gets thousands of referals by other users to her site (certainly a few hundred times a day I read a post saying go to K's site).

    Over the years I've watched your spam. I've never seen anyone refer anyone else to your site.

    I've certainly not ever been.

    Perhaps you should only post to usenet and leave this private product support NNTP server off your list.

    Of course your stupid crossposting (across usenet and private servers) means I have to click through dialogs to even send this. We all know finland. NAZI collabarator and when the going got tough a tratorous ally. No ticker, no morals.
    And the band played ....
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    "Timo Salmi" wrote in message news:c6qieq$mj7@poiju.uwasa.fi...
    > Kelly wrote:
    > > "Timo Salmi" wrote in message

    > > > 94268 Mar 31 2004 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tscmd.zip
    > > > tscmd.zip Useful NT/2000/XP script tricks and tips, T.Salmi

    > (megasnip)
    >
    > > Go away!

    > Why don't you lay off your stupid FAQ postings and referrals?
    > http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/faqoff.html
    >
    > Of proper quoting
    > http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html
    >
    > All the best, Timo
    >
    > --
    > Prof. Timo Salmi ftp & http://garbo.uwasa.fi/ archives 193.166.120.5
    > Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
    > mailto:ts@uwasa.fi ; FIN-65101, Finland
    > Timo's FAQ materials at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

  6. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    David Candy wrote in message :

    > Over the years I've watched your spam.

    And you have not used the killfile.Are you a masochist?

    --
    Marco

  7. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    Kelly wrote in message :

    > Go away!

    If you want to be in charge of a newsgroup,get one and moderate it

    --
    Marco

  8. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    Don't snip f*ckhead. I fixed you attempts to mislead the record.

    "Marco Maier Said" wrote in message news:1louo12k1ti2x$.mms@MRC.MIR.SID.75...
    > David Candy wrote in message :
    >
    > > Over the years I've watched your spam.

    > And you have not used the killfile.Are you a masochist?
    >
    > --
    > Marco

    Go away!

    "Timo Salmi" wrote in message
> [...]
    > 56} How to find and move more recent files from one folder to another?
    > 57} How do I get a list of all my empty folders on c:\ ?
    > 58} How do I best combine two quoted arguments into one quoted string?
    > 59} How do I find if a folder exists? How about visible files in it?
    > 60} How do I delete all but most recent 20 files in a folder?
    > 61} How can one devise a command line calculator?
    > 62} How can I compare within a script if two files are identical?
    > 63} How to perform a command on each line of file as an argument?
    > 64} How to count the number of lines in a file, empty lines inclusive?
    > 65} How do I add text in front and after each line in a text file?
    >
    > All the best, Timo
    >
    > --
    > Prof. Timo Salmi ftp & http://garbo.uwasa.fi/ archives 193.166.120.5
    > Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa

  9. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    And I wish you usenet people would leave us alone here at msnews.

    And the band played ....
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    "Marco Maier Said" wrote in message news:1louo12k1ti2x$.mms@MRC.MIR.SID.75...
    > David Candy wrote in message :
    >
    > > Over the years I've watched your spam.

    > And you have not used the killfile.Are you a masochist?
    >
    > --
    > Marco

  10. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    David Candy wrote in message :

    > Don't snip f*ckhead. I fixed you attempts to mislead the record.

    Flush

    --
    Marco

  11. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    `Huh?

    Flush

    --
    Marco

    Don't snip f*ckhead. I fixed you attempts to mislead the record.

    And the band played ....
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    "Marco Maier Said" wrote in message news:1louo12k1ti2x$.mms@MRC.MIR.SID.75...
    > David Candy wrote in message :
    >
    > > Over the years I've watched your spam.

    > And you have not used the killfile.Are you a masochist?
    >
    > --
    > Marco

    Go away!

    "Marco Maier Said" wrote in message news:1096cm2a5oeqb$.mms@MRC.MIR.SID.75...
    > David Candy wrote in message :
    >
    > > Don't snip f*ckhead. I fixed you attempts to mislead the record.

    > Flush
    >
    > --
    > Marco

  12. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    David Candy wrote in message :

    > `Huh?

    Hu Hu Hu HU

    --
    Marco

  13. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    What?

    "Marco Maier Said" wrote in message news:1lai5kl7gj8oa.mms@MRC.MIR.SID.75...
    > David Candy wrote in message :
    >
    > > `Huh?

    > Hu Hu Hu HU
    >
    > --
    > Marco

    `Huh?

    Flush

    --
    Marco

    Don't snip f*ckhead. I fixed you attempts to mislead the record.

    And the band played ....
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    "Marco Maier Said" wrote in message news:1louo12k1ti2x$.mms@MRC.MIR.SID.75...
    > David Candy wrote in message :
    >
    > > Over the years I've watched your spam.

    > And you have not used the killfile.Are you a masochist?
    >
    > --
    > Marco

    Go away!

    "Timo Salmi" wrote in message
> [...]
    > 62} How can I compare within a script if two files are identical?
    > 63} How to perform a command on each line of file as an argument?
    > 64} How to count the number of lines in a file, empty lines inclusive?
    > 65} How do I add text in front and after each line in a text file?
    >
    > All the best, Timo
    >
    > --
    > Prof. Timo Salmi ftp & http://garbo.uwasa.fi/ archives 193.166.120.5
    > Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
    > mailto:ts@uwasa.fi ; FIN-65101, Finland
    > Timo's FAQ materials at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

    And the band played ....
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    "Marco Maier Said" wrote in message news:1096cm2a5oeqb$.mms@MRC.MIR.SID.75...
    > David Candy wrote in message :
    >
    > > Don't snip f*ckhead. I fixed you attempts to mislead the record.

  14. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    Well, well. We seem to have a real live one at our hands.

    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crackpot.html

    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/abusive.html#godwin

    All the best, Timo

    Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
    mailto:ts@uwasa.fi ; FIN-65101, Finland
    Timo's FAQ materials at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

  15. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    I canceled your spam.

    "Timo Salmi" wrote in message news:c6rm8k$k5c@poiju.uwasa.fi...
    > Well, well. We seem to have a real live one at our hands.
    >
    > David Candy wrote:
    > > Don't snip f*ckhead. I fixed you attempts to mislead the record.

    > http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crackpot.html
    >
    > > finland. NAZI collabarator and when the going got tough a tratorous =

    > http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/abusive.html#godwin
    >
    > All the best, Timo
    >
    > --
    > Prof. Timo Salmi ftp & http://garbo.uwasa.fi/ archives 193.166.120.5
    > Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
    > mailto:ts@uwasa.fi ; FIN-65101, Finland
    > Timo's FAQ materials at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

  16. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    As none of you actually post here at msnews, why are you spamming it. Just f*ck off out of our groups.

    "Mark V" wrote in message news:Xns94DAAC7472A08z9zzaQ2btw@207.46.248.16...
    > In microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin Timo Salmi wrote:
    >
    > > Well, well. We seem to have a real live one at our hands.

    > Quite a piece of work indeed.
    >

    > > David Candy wrote:
    > >> Don't snip f*ckhead. I fixed you attempts to mislead the record.

    > > http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crackpot.html
    > >
    > >> finland. NAZI collabarator and when the going got tough a
    > >> tratorous =

    > > http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/abusive.html#godwin
    > >
    > > All the best, Timo

    And the band played ....
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    "Marco Maier Said" wrote in message news:1lai5kl7gj8oa.mms@MRC.MIR.SID.75...
    > David Candy wrote in message :
    >
    > > `Huh?

    > Hu Hu Hu HU
    >
    > --
    > Marco

    `Huh?

    Flush

    --
    Marco

    Don't snip f*ckhead. I fixed you attempts to mislead the record.

    And the band played ....
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    "Marco Maier Said" wrote in message news:1louo12k1ti2x$.mms@MRC.MIR.SID.75...
    > David Candy wrote in message :
    >
    > > Over the years I've watched your spam.

    > And you have not used the killfile.Are you a masochist?
    >
    > --
    > Marco

    Go away!

    "Timo Salmi" wrote in message
> [...]
    > 62} How can I compare within a script if two files are identical?
    > 63} How to perform a command on each line of file as an argument?
    > 64} How to count the number of lines in a file, empty lines inclusive?
    > 65} How do I add text in front and after each line in a text file?
    >
    > All the best, Timo
    >
    > --
    > Prof. Timo Salmi ftp & http://garbo.uwasa.fi/ archives 193.166.120.5
    > Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
    > mailto:ts@uwasa.fi ; FIN-65101, Finland
    > Timo's FAQ materials at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

    And the band played ....
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    "Marco Maier Said" wrote in message news:1096cm2a5oeqb$.mms@MRC.MIR.SID.75...
    > David Candy wrote in message :
    >
    > > Don't snip f*ckhead. I fixed you attempts to mislead the record.

  17. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    In microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin David Candy wrote:

    > As none of you actually post here at msnews, why are you spamming
    > it. Just f*ck off out of our groups.

    What? This group is peered all over USENET. What's "our groups"
    supposed to mean?

  18. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    IMO, recognition and respect is earned from hands on, working with the
    public, not from billboards. These are newsgroups and not a place for
    commercials.

    --

    "Timo Salmi" wrote in message
    > Kelly wrote:
    >> "Timo Salmi" wrote in message

    >> > 94268 Mar 31 2004 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tscmd.zip
    >> > tscmd.zip Useful NT/2000/XP script tricks and tips, T.Salmi

    > (megasnip)
    >
    >> Go away!

    > Why don't you lay off your stupid FAQ postings and referrals?
    > http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/faqoff.html
    >
    > Of proper quoting
    > http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html
    >
    > All the best, Timo
    >
    > --
    > Prof. Timo Salmi ftp & http://garbo.uwasa.fi/ archives 193.166.120.5
    > Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
    > mailto:ts@uwasa.fi ; FIN-65101, Finland
    > Timo's FAQ materials at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

  19. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    Kelly wrote in message :

    > These are newsgroups and not a place for
    > commercials.

    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    lol

    --
    Marco

  20. Re: "Frequently Asked Questions about CMD.EXE Command Line Scripts"

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 03:06:15 -0500, "Kelly"
    wrote:

    >IMO, recognition and respect is earned from hands on, working with the
    >public, not from billboards. These are newsgroups and not a place for
    >commercials.
    >
    >--
    >All the Best,
    >Kelly
    >
    >Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >
    >Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    >Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

    So what is the above MS sock puppet stuff? ;-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast