Problem with redirection to a file on Win2k pro - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Problem with redirection to a file on Win2k pro - Windows NT ; Hello, I have a WS with W2k pro on it. When I run a console program on it and redirect to a file, the process crashes (dr. Watson et al) after generating about 15,6 Megs of output (it should be ...

  1. Problem with redirection to a file on Win2k pro

    Hello,

    I have a WS with W2k pro on it. When I run a console program on it
    and redirect to a file, the process crashes (dr. Watson et al) after
    generating about 15,6 Megs of output (it should be 90 megs or so :-)
    ). No matter what I tried, I can't get it to work. Strange thing is
    that the program works perfectly well without redirection and also
    works fine WITH redirection on some other workstations though they
    were installed from an other w2k image.

    so :
    myprogram.exe (=> ok)
    myprogram.exe > my_test.txt (crashes after a while)

    Does anyone know what this means ?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Problem with redirection to a file on Win2k pro

    "Jan" wrote in message
    news:11971c2c.0404271002.3b99f6d3@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a WS with W2k pro on it. When I run a console program on it
    > and redirect to a file, the process crashes (dr. Watson et al) after
    > generating about 15,6 Megs of output (it should be 90 megs or so :-)
    > ). No matter what I tried, I can't get it to work. Strange thing is
    > that the program works perfectly well without redirection and also
    > works fine WITH redirection on some other workstations though they
    > were installed from an other w2k image.
    >
    > so :
    > myprogram.exe (=> ok)
    > myprogram.exe > my_test.txt (crashes after a while)
    >
    > Does anyone know what this means ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Just for fun I tried this command from a Command Prompt:

    for /L %a in (1,1,100) do type 100k.txt >> 1G.txt

    100k.txt is a pure text file (i.e. no hex characters inside). The
    command generated a 1 GByte file without any problems.
    It follows that the problem must be related to your machine.

    - Try specifying a different target drive, e.g. D: instead of C:.
    - Scan your PC with an external virus scanner,
    e.g. on www.antivirus.com ("free online scan").
    - Run chkdsk /F to check the integrity of the disk.
    - Examine your Event Viewer.

  3. Re: Problem with redirection to a file on Win2k pro

    > 100k.txt is a pure text file (i.e. no hex characters inside). The
    > command generated a 1 GByte file without any problems.
    > It follows that the problem must be related to your machine.

    Thanks for the answer. In the meantime I switched workstations and it
    runs fine now.