NT 4 and floppy problems - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NT 4 and floppy problems - Windows NT ; I'm running NT 4 sp6 and in the past I've always transferred graphic files from a Win 98 system to this one via floppy disks. Well lately every time I try to save any type of image file directly to ...

  1. NT 4 and floppy problems

    I'm running NT 4 sp6 and in the past I've always transferred graphic
    files from a Win 98 system to this one via floppy disks. Well lately
    every time I try to save any type of image file directly to the floppy
    and open them up in the NT system I get the following error message
    Unable to open file: cyclic redundancy check. If I zip the image file
    first then everything works out just fine. I can also transfer files
    between several of our Win98 systems without any sort of error message.
    I've replaced the floppy drive in the NT system with a brand new drive,
    but I still get the problem.

    Any ideas why I'm getting this strange error message?

  2. Re: NT 4 and floppy problems

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > I'm running NT 4 sp6 and in the past I've always transferred graphic
    > files from a Win 98 system to this one via floppy disks. Well lately
    > every time I try to save any type of image file directly to the floppy
    > and open them up in the NT system I get the following error message
    > Unable to open file: cyclic redundancy check. If I zip the image file
    > first then everything works out just fine. I can also transfer files
    > between several of our Win98 systems without any sort of error

    message.
    > I've replaced the floppy drive in the NT system with a brand new

    drive,
    > but I still get the problem.
    >
    > Any ideas why I'm getting this strange error message?

    Never mind... apparently it's a "little known" issue in NT 4 entitled
    "CRC Error Message on FAT Media Causes Kernel Stack Overflow". And
    apparently it requires a phone call to Microsoft tech support to resolve
    and I'm exactly in the mood to spend the money or wait all day on hold.

  3. Re: NT 4 and floppy problems

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > "Matt" wrote in message
    > > I'm running NT 4 sp6 and in the past I've always transferred graphic
    > > files from a Win 98 system to this one via floppy disks. Well lately
    > > every time I try to save any type of image file directly to the floppy
    > > and open them up in the NT system I get the following error message
    > > Unable to open file: cyclic redundancy check. If I zip the image file
    > > first then everything works out just fine. I can also transfer files
    > > between several of our Win98 systems without any sort of error

    > message.
    > > I've replaced the floppy drive in the NT system with a brand new

    > drive,
    > > but I still get the problem.
    > >
    > > Any ideas why I'm getting this strange error message?

    > Never mind... apparently it's a "little known" issue in NT 4 entitled
    > "CRC Error Message on FAT Media Causes Kernel Stack Overflow". And
    > apparently it requires a phone call to Microsoft tech support to resolve
    > and I'm exactly in the mood to spend the money or wait all day on hold.

    Not quite. A CRC always indicates a hardware error. Either
    your floppy disk drive is marginal, or your floppy disk, or
    both. Replace either or both, and don't bother ringing Microsoft,
    because this is exactly what they will tell you.

    The article you looked at deals with the consequences of
    a CRC error. Apparently WinNT does not always handle it
    the way one would expect.

  4. Re: NT 4 and floppy problems

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    > > "Matt" wrote in message

    > Not quite. A CRC always indicates a hardware error. Either
    > your floppy disk drive is marginal, or your floppy disk, or
    > both. Replace either or both, and don't bother ringing Microsoft,
    > because this is exactly what they will tell you.
    >
    > The article you looked at deals with the consequences of
    > a CRC error. Apparently WinNT does not always handle it
    > the way one would expect.

    But I replaced both the floppy drive and the cable.

  5. Re: NT 4 and floppy problems

    Matt wrote:

    > But I replaced both the floppy drive and the cable.

    In this case and if pre-formatted floppy diskettes are being used, then
    switch to a different brand of media. Quality control has gone downhill
    a lot over the past few years as use of floppies has declined. Alternately,
    re-format the HDD floppy diskettes in the NT machine and copy the
    files to them from the Win98 machine. Should the CRC errors continue,
    then verify that the bios settings for the floppy disk drives in both machines
    are correct, i.e., for 1.44 MB floppies.

  6. Re: NT 4 and floppy problems

    "Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

    > Matt wrote:
    >
    > > But I replaced both the floppy drive and the cable.

    > In this case and if pre-formatted floppy diskettes are being used,

    then
    > switch to a different brand of media. Quality control has gone

    downhill
    > a lot over the past few years as use of floppies has declined.

    Alternately,
    > re-format the HDD floppy diskettes in the NT machine and copy the
    > files to them from the Win98 machine. Should the CRC errors continue,
    > then verify that the bios settings for the floppy disk drives in both

    machines
    > are correct, i.e., for 1.44 MB floppies.

    well that's the crazy thing...it won't let me reformat the disk on the
    NT system. And this is the same batch of floppies that have worked in
    the past. These floppy's also work on any other computer in the
    building and they will work on the NT system if I zip the files first
    (it will let me extract the zipped archive) but not if I place them
    directly on the disk.

  7. Re: NT 4 and floppy problems

    "Matt" wrote in message

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Matt" wrote in message
    > > > "Matt" wrote in message

    > > Not quite. A CRC always indicates a hardware error. Either
    > > your floppy disk drive is marginal, or your floppy disk, or
    > > both. Replace either or both, and don't bother ringing Microsoft,
    > > because this is exactly what they will tell you.
    > >
    > > The article you looked at deals with the consequences of
    > > a CRC error. Apparently WinNT does not always handle it
    > > the way one would expect.
    > >

    > But I replaced both the floppy drive and the cable.

    Boot your machine with a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com,
    then give your FDD and your floppy disks an extensive test. This
    should tell if you have a problem with your hardware or your media,
    without involving Win2000.

+ Reply to Thread