Exception: privileged instruction (xc0000096), Address:0x00010102 - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Exception: privileged instruction (xc0000096), Address:0x00010102 - Windows NT ; Hi, I have a problem with an application, which is causing a Dr Watson. the Dr Watson message reads: An Application error has occurred ..... ..... Exception: privileged instruction (xc0000096), Address:0x00010102 The problem only exists on a WinNT P4 Environment, ...

  1. Exception: privileged instruction (xc0000096), Address:0x00010102

    Hi,

    I have a problem with an application, which is causing a
    Dr Watson. the Dr Watson message reads:

    An Application error has occurred

    Exception: privileged instruction (xc0000096),
    Address:0x00010102

    The problem only exists on a WinNT P4 Environment, other
    environments such as WinNT P2/p3, XP, p2/p3/p4 all work
    fine.

    I would obviously appreciate any help advice anyone can
    offer.

    Many thanks
    Steve

  2. Re: Exception: privileged instruction (xc0000096), Address:0x00010102

    Steve wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem with an application, which is causing a
    > Dr Watson. the Dr Watson message reads:
    >
    > An Application error has occurred
    >
    > Exception: privileged instruction (xc0000096),
    > Address:0x00010102
    >
    > The problem only exists on a WinNT P4 Environment, other
    > environments such as WinNT P2/p3, XP, p2/p3/p4 all work
    > fine.
    >
    > I would obviously appreciate any help advice anyone can
    > offer.
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Steve

    What application? Moreover, what Windows NT service pack has been
    installed? Having a P4 CPU indicates a pretty modern configuration that
    may indicate that post-SP6a patches might also be needed.

  3. Re: Exception: privileged instruction (xc0000096), Address:0x00010102

    Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message news:<3FBD166D.C213348B@fitron.142>...
    > Steve wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a problem with an application, which is causing a
    > > Dr Watson. the Dr Watson message reads:
    > >
    > > An Application error has occurred
    > >
    > > Exception: privileged instruction (xc0000096),
    > > Address:0x00010102
    > >
    > > The problem only exists on a WinNT P4 Environment, other
    > > environments such as WinNT P2/p3, XP, p2/p3/p4 all work
    > > fine.
    > >
    > > I would obviously appreciate any help advice anyone can
    > > offer.
    > >
    > > Many thanks
    > > Steve

    > What application? Moreover, what Windows NT service pack has been
    > installed? Having a P4 CPU indicates a pretty modern configuration that
    > may indicate that post-SP6a patches might also be needed.

    Hi,

    The NT environment currently has SP6a installed.

    I managed to step through the code relating to the application where
    it's falling over. The application is a bespoke app written in VB,
    and it fails when it calls a client Jar & DLL file to communicate with
    an external server. As I mentioned, this functions OK in XP on a P4,
    NT on a P3,P2. The JRE being used is 1.1.8_006.

  4. Re: Exception: privileged instruction (xc0000096), Address:0x00010102

    Steve wrote:

    > Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message news:<3FBD166D.C213348B@fitron.142>...
    > > Steve wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I have a problem with an application, which is causing a
    > > > Dr Watson. the Dr Watson message reads:
    > > >
    > > > An Application error has occurred
    > > >
    > > > Exception: privileged instruction (xc0000096),
    > > > Address:0x00010102
    > > >
    > > > The problem only exists on a WinNT P4 Environment, other
    > > > environments such as WinNT P2/p3, XP, p2/p3/p4 all work
    > > > fine.
    > > >
    > > > I would obviously appreciate any help advice anyone can
    > > > offer.
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks
    > > > Steve

    > > What application? Moreover, what Windows NT service pack has been
    > > installed? Having a P4 CPU indicates a pretty modern configuration that
    > > may indicate that post-SP6a patches might also be needed.

    > Hi,
    >
    > The NT environment currently has SP6a installed.
    >
    > I managed to step through the code relating to the application where
    > it's falling over. The application is a bespoke app written in VB,
    > and it fails when it calls a client Jar & DLL file to communicate with
    > an external server. As I mentioned, this functions OK in XP on a P4,
    > NT on a P3,P2. The JRE being used is 1.1.8_006.

    The solution may be to play around with the different versions of JRE that
    has been released and find one that works. Or, alternately, revise the VB
    script for this particular machine.

+ Reply to Thread