Mirroring harddisk - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Mirroring harddisk - Windows NT ; Do both hard drive have to be same type (IDE to IDE) in order to perform mirroring ? I have a SCSI drive as drive 1 and IDE as drive 0. But Win NT boot partition is on SCSI. I ...

  1. Mirroring harddisk

    Do both hard drive have to be same type (IDE to IDE) in order to
    perform mirroring ? I have a SCSI drive as drive 1 and IDE as drive 0.
    But Win NT boot partition is on SCSI. I tried to do mirroring to the
    IDE drive but the mirroring command is dimmed. Pls advise. Thanks.

    Regards,
    Daniel

  2. Re: Mirroring harddisk

    Daniel Tan wrote:
    > Do both hard drive have to be same type (IDE to IDE) in order to
    > perform mirroring ? I have a SCSI drive as drive 1 and IDE as drive 0.
    > But Win NT boot partition is on SCSI. I tried to do mirroring to the
    > IDE drive but the mirroring command is dimmed. Pls advise. Thanks.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Daniel

    No, they don't have to be the same type. You might want to start by looking
    at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];114779.

    --

    Frank GoBell

  3. Re: Mirroring harddisk

    Frank, but i tried everyway but i can't mirror it. I click on the
    master and hold control key and click another hard drive (nothing
    inside). Could be NT file or service error ? Thanks.

    Regards,
    Daniel

    "Frank GoBell" wrote in message news:...
    > Daniel Tan wrote:
    > > Do both hard drive have to be same type (IDE to IDE) in order to
    > > perform mirroring ? I have a SCSI drive as drive 1 and IDE as drive 0.
    > > But Win NT boot partition is on SCSI. I tried to do mirroring to the
    > > IDE drive but the mirroring command is dimmed. Pls advise. Thanks.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Daniel

    > No, they don't have to be the same type. You might want to start by looking
    > at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];114779.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Frank GoBell

  4. Re: Mirroring harddisk

    - You said that "the mirroring command is dimmed". What exactly
    is the wording of that command/option?
    - Are you indeed running WinNT4?
    - What is the size of the partition you're trying to mirror, and
    what is the size of the other partition?

    news:6a6a9040.0311150153.4b0f89b8@posting.google.c om...

    > > Daniel Tan wrote:
    > > > Do both hard drive have to be same type (IDE to IDE) in order to
    > > > perform mirroring ? I have a SCSI drive as drive 1 and IDE as drive 0.
    > > > But Win NT boot partition is on SCSI. I tried to do mirroring to the
    > > > IDE drive but the mirroring command is dimmed. Pls advise. Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Daniel

    > > No, they don't have to be the same type. You might want to start by

    looking
    > > at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];114779.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Frank GoBell

  5. Re: Mirroring harddisk

    Yes i'm using NT 4 server. The establish mirroring menu is dimmed. I
    have 2 hard drive , one is SCSI(8 GB) with 2 partitions, the other is
    IDE(20GB) also have 2 partitions. I wish to mirror the 2nd partition
    of the SCSI drive to the 2nd partition of the IDE drive. Pls advise.

    Regards,
    Daniel

    "Pegasus \(MVP\)" wrote in message news:...
    > - You said that "the mirroring command is dimmed". What exactly
    > is the wording of that command/option?
    > - Are you indeed running WinNT4?
    > - What is the size of the partition you're trying to mirror, and
    > what is the size of the other partition?
    >
    > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > news:6a6a9040.0311150153.4b0f89b8@posting.google.c om...
    > > Frank, but i tried everyway but i can't mirror it. I click on the
    > > master and hold control key and click another hard drive (nothing
    > > inside). Could be NT file or service error ? Thanks.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Daniel
    > >
    > > "Frank GoBell" wrote in message

    > > > No, they don't have to be the same type. You might want to start by

    > looking
    > > > at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];114779.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > Frank GoBell

  6. Re: Mirroring harddisk

    Make sure to follow this sequence:
    1. Run windisk.exe
    2. Click the partition to be mirrorred.
    3. Ctrl+Click the free space where the second part
    of the mirror should go.
    4. Click "Fault Tolerance".
    5. Click "Create Mirror".

    This process works if the primary disk is a SCSI disk
    and the target of the mirror is the IDE master disk on
    the primary controller. I have tried it myself just now:
    My SCSI disk is 2.2 GBytes and my IDE disk is 20 GBytes.

    If you have a pre-existing mirror then you must break it
    before setting up a new mirror.

    If you cannot get it to work then I recommend this:
    - Get a small SCSI disk
    - Install a vanilla version of NT4 Server on it
    - Try the steps 1..5 above

    news:6a6a9040.0311160204.124e8d09@posting.google.c om...

    > > - You said that "the mirroring command is dimmed". What exactly
    > > is the wording of that command/option?
    > > - Are you indeed running WinNT4?
    > > - What is the size of the partition you're trying to mirror, and
    > > what is the size of the other partition?
    > >
    > > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > > news:6a6a9040.0311150153.4b0f89b8@posting.google.c om...
    > > > Frank, but i tried everyway but i can't mirror it. I click on the
    > > > master and hold control key and click another hard drive (nothing
    > > > inside). Could be NT file or service error ? Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Daniel
    > > >
    > > > "Frank GoBell" wrote in message

    drive 0.

    the

    > > looking

  7. Re: Mirroring harddisk

    Hi, i noticed that my SCSI doesn't have any jumper on it. Is it normal ? Thanks.

    Regards,
    Daniel

    "Pegasus \(MVP\)" wrote in message news:...
    > Make sure to follow this sequence:
    > 1. Run windisk.exe
    > 2. Click the partition to be mirrorred.
    > 3. Ctrl+Click the free space where the second part
    > of the mirror should go.
    > 4. Click "Fault Tolerance".
    > 5. Click "Create Mirror".
    >
    > This process works if the primary disk is a SCSI disk
    > and the target of the mirror is the IDE master disk on
    > the primary controller. I have tried it myself just now:
    > My SCSI disk is 2.2 GBytes and my IDE disk is 20 GBytes.
    >
    > If you have a pre-existing mirror then you must break it
    > before setting up a new mirror.
    >
    > If you cannot get it to work then I recommend this:
    > - Get a small SCSI disk
    > - Install a vanilla version of NT4 Server on it
    > - Try the steps 1..5 above
    >

    > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > news:6a6a9040.0311160204.124e8d09@posting.google.c om...
    > > Yes i'm using NT 4 server. The establish mirroring menu is dimmed. I
    > > have 2 hard drive , one is SCSI(8 GB) with 2 partitions, the other is
    > > IDE(20GB) also have 2 partitions. I wish to mirror the 2nd partition
    > > of the SCSI drive to the 2nd partition of the IDE drive. Pls advise.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Daniel
    > >

    > > "Pegasus \(MVP\)" wrote in message

    > > > - You said that "the mirroring command is dimmed". What exactly
    > > > is the wording of that command/option?
    > > > - Are you indeed running WinNT4?
    > > > - What is the size of the partition you're trying to mirror, and
    > > > what is the size of the other partition?
    > > >
    > > > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > > > news:6a6a9040.0311150153.4b0f89b8@posting.google.c om...

    > drive 0.

    > the

    > looking

  8. Re: Mirroring harddisk

    Hi, i noticed that my SCSI doesn;t have any jumper on it. Is it ok ? Pls advise.

    $1f7n$1@arachne.labyrinth.net.au>...
    > Make sure to follow this sequence:
    > 1. Run windisk.exe
    > 2. Click the partition to be mirrorred.
    > 3. Ctrl+Click the free space where the second part
    > of the mirror should go.
    > 4. Click "Fault Tolerance".
    > 5. Click "Create Mirror".
    >
    > This process works if the primary disk is a SCSI disk
    > and the target of the mirror is the IDE master disk on
    > the primary controller. I have tried it myself just now:
    > My SCSI disk is 2.2 GBytes and my IDE disk is 20 GBytes.
    >
    > If you have a pre-existing mirror then you must break it
    > before setting up a new mirror.
    >
    > If you cannot get it to work then I recommend this:
    > - Get a small SCSI disk
    > - Install a vanilla version of NT4 Server on it
    > - Try the steps 1..5 above
    >

    > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > news:6a6a9040.0311160204.124e8d09@posting.google.c om...
    > > Yes i'm using NT 4 server. The establish mirroring menu is dimmed. I
    > > have 2 hard drive , one is SCSI(8 GB) with 2 partitions, the other is
    > > IDE(20GB) also have 2 partitions. I wish to mirror the 2nd partition
    > > of the SCSI drive to the 2nd partition of the IDE drive. Pls advise.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Daniel
    > >

    > > "Pegasus \(MVP\)" wrote in message

    > > > - You said that "the mirroring command is dimmed". What exactly
    > > > is the wording of that command/option?
    > > > - Are you indeed running WinNT4?
    > > > - What is the size of the partition you're trying to mirror, and
    > > > what is the size of the other partition?
    > > >
    > > > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > > > news:6a6a9040.0311150153.4b0f89b8@posting.google.c om...

    > drive 0.

    > the

    > looking

  9. Re: Mirroring harddisk

    All SCSI disks have some jumpers so that you can select
    the SCSI device number. However, they don't need a
    master/slave jumper.

    "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    news:6a6a9040.0311170317.18a04a47@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi, i noticed that my SCSI doesn;t have any jumper on it. Is it ok ? Pls

    advise.

    > Regards,
    > Daniel
    >

    > "Pegasus \(MVP\)" wrote in message news: >
    >
    > $1f7n$1@arachne.labyrinth.net.au>...
    > > Make sure to follow this sequence:
    > > 1. Run windisk.exe
    > > 2. Click the partition to be mirrorred.
    > > 3. Ctrl+Click the free space where the second part
    > > of the mirror should go.
    > > 4. Click "Fault Tolerance".
    > > 5. Click "Create Mirror".
    > >
    > > This process works if the primary disk is a SCSI disk
    > > and the target of the mirror is the IDE master disk on
    > > the primary controller. I have tried it myself just now:
    > > My SCSI disk is 2.2 GBytes and my IDE disk is 20 GBytes.
    > >
    > > If you have a pre-existing mirror then you must break it
    > > before setting up a new mirror.
    > >
    > > If you cannot get it to work then I recommend this:
    > > - Get a small SCSI disk
    > > - Install a vanilla version of NT4 Server on it
    > > - Try the steps 1..5 above
    > >

    > > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > > news:6a6a9040.0311160204.124e8d09@posting.google.c om...
    > > > Yes i'm using NT 4 server. The establish mirroring menu is dimmed. I
    > > > have 2 hard drive , one is SCSI(8 GB) with 2 partitions, the other is
    > > > IDE(20GB) also have 2 partitions. I wish to mirror the 2nd partition
    > > > of the SCSI drive to the 2nd partition of the IDE drive. Pls advise.
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Daniel
    > > >

    > > > "Pegasus \(MVP\)" wrote in message

    > > drive 0.

    > > the

    Thanks.

    start by
    > > looking

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];114779.

  10. Re: Mirroring harddisk

    Hi, so does the device number affect the mirroring process ? In disk
    admin, it is listed as drive 1, does the device number related to it ?

    Regards,
    Daniel

    "Pegasus \(MVP\)" wrote in message news:...
    > All SCSI disks have some jumpers so that you can select
    > the SCSI device number. However, they don't need a
    > master/slave jumper.
    >

    > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > news:6a6a9040.0311170317.18a04a47@posting.google.c om...
    > > Hi, i noticed that my SCSI doesn;t have any jumper on it. Is it ok ? Pls

    > advise.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Daniel
    > >

    > > "Pegasus \(MVP\)" wrote in message news: > >
    > >
    > > $1f7n$1@arachne.labyrinth.net.au>...
    > > > Make sure to follow this sequence:
    > > > 1. Run windisk.exe
    > > > 2. Click the partition to be mirrorred.
    > > > 3. Ctrl+Click the free space where the second part
    > > > of the mirror should go.
    > > > 4. Click "Fault Tolerance".
    > > > 5. Click "Create Mirror".
    > > >
    > > > This process works if the primary disk is a SCSI disk
    > > > and the target of the mirror is the IDE master disk on
    > > > the primary controller. I have tried it myself just now:
    > > > My SCSI disk is 2.2 GBytes and my IDE disk is 20 GBytes.
    > > >
    > > > If you have a pre-existing mirror then you must break it
    > > > before setting up a new mirror.
    > > >
    > > > If you cannot get it to work then I recommend this:
    > > > - Get a small SCSI disk
    > > > - Install a vanilla version of NT4 Server on it
    > > > - Try the steps 1..5 above
    > > >

    > > > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > > > news:6a6a9040.0311160204.124e8d09@posting.google.c om...

    > drive 0.

    > the

    > Thanks.

    > start by
    > looking

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];114779.

  11. Re: Mirroring harddisk

    No, the device number does not affect the mirroring process.
    It is only used to distinguish between the 8 SCSI devices
    that you can have on one SCSI bus.

    news:6a6a9040.0311171535.2f9212f@posting.google.co m...

    > > All SCSI disks have some jumpers so that you can select
    > > the SCSI device number. However, they don't need a
    > > master/slave jumper.
    > >

    > > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > > news:6a6a9040.0311170317.18a04a47@posting.google.c om...
    > > > Hi, i noticed that my SCSI doesn;t have any jumper on it. Is it ok ?

    Pls
    > > advise.
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Daniel
    > > >

    > > > "Pegasus \(MVP\)" wrote in message news: > > >
    > > >
    > > > $1f7n$1@arachne.labyrinth.net.au>...

    is

    partition

    advise.

    the

    (nothing

    order

    as
    > > drive 0.

    mirroring
    > > the

    > > Thanks.

    > > start by
    > > looking

    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];114779.

  12. Re: Mirroring harddisk

    Hi, i've followed your steps but still couldn't. I have 2 hard drives
    , one SCSI drive with 2 partitions (8GB), one primary and logical. The
    other is IDE (20GB)with 2 partitions each with 10 GB. I want to mirror
    the first scsi logical partition to the second IDE logical partition.
    All are NTFS and IDE is in primary controller with jumper set to
    master. Could it be scsi driver or even NT file problem ? pls advise.

    Regards,
    Daniel

    "Pegasus \(MVP\)" wrote in message news:...
    > No, the device number does not affect the mirroring process.
    > It is only used to distinguish between the 8 SCSI devices
    > that you can have on one SCSI bus.
    >

    > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > news:6a6a9040.0311171535.2f9212f@posting.google.co m...
    > > Hi, so does the device number affect the mirroring process ? In disk
    > > admin, it is listed as drive 1, does the device number related to it ?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Daniel
    > >
    > > "Pegasus \(MVP\)" wrote in message

    > > > All SCSI disks have some jumpers so that you can select
    > > > the SCSI device number. However, they don't need a
    > > > master/slave jumper.
    > > >

    > > > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > > > news:6a6a9040.0311170317.18a04a47@posting.google.c om...

    > Pls
    > advise.

    > is

    > partition

    > advise.

    > the

    > (nothing

    > order

    > as
    > drive 0.

    > mirroring
    > > > the

    > Thanks.

    > > > start by
    > > > looking

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];114779.

  13. Re: Mirroring harddisk

    I noticed both my both partitions in scsi harddisk are marked as
    primary partition. Isn't one is primary and another is logical ? If
    want to mirror the primary partition, isn;t the destination drive must
    be same type and size ?

    Regards,
    Daniel

    "Pegasus \(MVP\)" wrote in message news:...
    > No, the device number does not affect the mirroring process.
    > It is only used to distinguish between the 8 SCSI devices
    > that you can have on one SCSI bus.
    >

    > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > news:6a6a9040.0311171535.2f9212f@posting.google.co m...
    > > Hi, so does the device number affect the mirroring process ? In disk
    > > admin, it is listed as drive 1, does the device number related to it ?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Daniel
    > >
    > > "Pegasus \(MVP\)" wrote in message

    > > > All SCSI disks have some jumpers so that you can select
    > > > the SCSI device number. However, they don't need a
    > > > master/slave jumper.
    > > >

    > > > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > > > news:6a6a9040.0311170317.18a04a47@posting.google.c om...

    > Pls
    > advise.

    > is

    > partition

    > advise.

    > the

    > (nothing

    > order

    > as
    > drive 0.

    > mirroring
    > > > the

    > Thanks.

    > > > start by
    > > > looking

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];114779.

  14. Re: Mirroring harddisk

    Hi,
    can you describe how are your hard drive are partitioned ? is your
    scsi drive is drive 1 and ide drive is drive 0 ?

+ Reply to Thread