Dual Boot Problem - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Dual Boot Problem - Windows NT ; All, I have a DELL Optiplex machine which used to have 3 operating systems running on them ie Linux Debian,Solaris X86(Intel ) and Windows NT. I have deleted the Solaris Intel OS, buy deleting the partition on which it existed. ...

  1. Dual Boot Problem

    All,
    I have a DELL Optiplex machine which used to have 3 operating systems
    running on them ie Linux Debian,Solaris X86(Intel ) and Windows NT.
    I have deleted the Solaris Intel OS, buy deleting the partition on which it
    existed.

    I now have NT and Linux running on it ,but anytime i boot the machine, I get
    prompted to choose any of the 3 operating systems.

    Despite deleting Solaris i still get prompted to select it out of the 3
    options.How do i solve this problem.I have done this before long time ago
    but cannot remember
    how i did it.
    I quite remember a command MBR but cannot remember exactly what i did or the
    command.

    Any help would be greatly apreciaated.
    Thanks

  2. Re: Dual Boot Problem

    "DOKNIK" wrote in message
    > All,
    > I have a DELL Optiplex machine which used to have 3 operating systems
    > running on them ie Linux Debian,Solaris X86(Intel ) and Windows NT.
    > I have deleted the Solaris Intel OS, buy deleting the partition on which

    it
    > existed.
    >
    > I now have NT and Linux running on it ,but anytime i boot the machine, I

    get
    > prompted to choose any of the 3 operating systems.
    >
    > Despite deleting Solaris i still get prompted to select it out of the 3
    > options.How do i solve this problem.I have done this before long time ago
    > but cannot remember
    > how i did it.
    > I quite remember a command MBR but cannot remember exactly what i did or

    the
    > command.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly apreciaated.
    > Thanks

    - Boot with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com)
    - Run this command:
    fdisk /MBR

    This will restore your boot sector. To make your machine
    boot into Linux and into Win2000, you will have to load the
    LILO boot manager. Alternatively, you could load XOSL
    (which is free).

  3. Re: Dual Boot Problem

    On 2003-11-13, DOKNIK wrote:

    > I have a DELL Optiplex machine which used to have 3 operating systems
    > running on them ie Linux Debian,Solaris X86(Intel ) and Windows NT.
    > I have deleted the Solaris Intel OS, buy deleting the partition on which it
    > existed.
    >
    > I now have NT and Linux running on it ,but anytime i boot the machine, I get
    > prompted to choose any of the 3 operating systems.
    >
    > Despite deleting Solaris i still get prompted to select it out of the 3
    > options.

    That's because the information the boot loader displays isn't located on
    the operating system partitions.

    > How do i solve this problem.I have done this before long time ago
    > but cannot remember how i did it.

    What are you using for a boot loader? If it's LILO (the linux loader from
    Debian, etc.) you just have to boot linux, edit /etc/lilo.conf to remove
    the references to the deleted partition and run /sbin/lilo to write the
    changes to the boot record.

    If you're not using LILO then you'll have to figure out just what you are
    using for a boot loader and go from there.

    --

    -John (JohnThompson@new.rr.com)

+ Reply to Thread