Format drive - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Format drive - Windows NT ; I installed a secondary drive and partition it to 2 partitions, each 10gb. When i tried to format the drive using FAT in NT 4, it doesn't allow me to format but only using NTFS. Pls advise. Thanks. Regards, Daniel...

  1. Format drive

    I installed a secondary drive and partition it to 2 partitions, each
    10gb. When i tried to format the drive using FAT in NT 4, it doesn't
    allow me to format but only using NTFS. Pls advise. Thanks.

    Regards,
    Daniel

  2. Re: Format drive

    WinNT supports FAT16 but not FAT32. You will have to use NTFS for partitions over 2 GB.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  3. Re: Format drive

    "Mike Walsh" wrote in message

    > WinNT supports FAT16 but not FAT32. You will have to use NTFS for

    partitions over 2 GB.

    > Daniel Tan wrote:
    > >
    > > I installed a secondary drive and partition it to 2 partitions, each
    > > 10gb. When i tried to format the drive using FAT in NT 4, it doesn't
    > > allow me to format but only using NTFS. Pls advise. Thanks.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Daniel

    actually NT4 is an exception the the fat(16) rule

    you can have a fat partition on NT4 of up to 4 gigs ...but no more

  4. Re: Format drive

    "philo" wrote in message

    > "Mike Walsh" wrote in message
    > >
    > > WinNT supports FAT16 but not FAT32. You will have to use NTFS for

    > partitions over 2 GB.
    > >
    > > Daniel Tan wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I installed a secondary drive and partition it to 2 partitions, each
    > > > 10gb. When i tried to format the drive using FAT in NT 4, it doesn't
    > > > allow me to format but only using NTFS. Pls advise. Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Daniel

    > actually NT4 is an exception the the fat(16) rule
    >
    > you can have a fat partition on NT4 of up to 4 gigs ...but no more

    .. . . but only if you create it during the installation of NT4. AFAIR,
    you cannot go beyond 2 GBytes once NT4 is up and running.

  5. Re: Format drive

    On 2003-11-12, Daniel Tan wrote:

    > I installed a secondary drive and partition it to 2 partitions, each
    > 10gb. When i tried to format the drive using FAT in NT 4, it doesn't
    > allow me to format but only using NTFS. Pls advise. Thanks.

    FAT only supports a 2GB maximum partition size. FAT32 would support a
    larger partition size, but WinNT v4 does not support FAT32. Bummer.

    --

    -John (JohnThompson@new.rr.com)

  6. Re: Format drive

    "John Thompson" wrote in message
    > On 2003-11-12, Daniel Tan wrote:
    >
    > > I installed a secondary drive and partition it to 2 partitions, each
    > > 10gb. When i tried to format the drive using FAT in NT 4, it doesn't
    > > allow me to format but only using NTFS. Pls advise. Thanks.

    > FAT only supports a 2GB maximum partition size. FAT32 would support a
    > larger partition size, but WinNT v4 does not support FAT32. Bummer.
    >
    > --
    >
    > -John (JohnThompson@new.rr.com)

    You can buy a FAT32 driver for WinNT from www.sysinternals.com. It's
    very cheap!

  7. Re: Format drive

    > . . . but only if you create it during the installation of NT4. AFAIR,
    > you cannot go beyond 2 GBytes once NT4 is up and running.

    partition magic 8 has an option in general preferences to
    allow 64k clusters in fat
    it will be usable for NT/2K/XP
    but not readable by win3x/9x

    as far as doing so from disk management... i have no idea

+ Reply to Thread