NT of hardware problem? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NT of hardware problem? - Windows NT ; Today I can't seem to format a blank disk on the floppy drive. And every time I try to access a good disk on the a: drive I get the following error message: The volume does not contain a recognizable ...

  1. NT of hardware problem?

    Today I can't seem to format a blank disk on the floppy drive. And
    every time I try to access a good disk on the a: drive I get the
    following error message:

    The volume does not contain a recognizable file system. Please make
    sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the
    volume is not corrupt.

    I've tried formatting a new disk on another machine and then accessing
    it on this computer but I still get the message. I don't have an extra
    drive to swap out so I thought I'd check here first to see if this might
    be caused by something else before I run to the store for a new drive.

  2. Re: NT of hardware problem?

    Get a new drive - they don't cost much.

    If you suspect that Win2000 is at fault (which is extremely
    unlikely), make a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com) on
    some other machine, then boot your PC with this disk.
    If you can't then your FDD is obviously damaged.

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > Today I can't seem to format a blank disk on the floppy drive. And
    > every time I try to access a good disk on the a: drive I get the
    > following error message:
    >
    > The volume does not contain a recognizable file system. Please make
    > sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the
    > volume is not corrupt.
    >
    > I've tried formatting a new disk on another machine and then accessing
    > it on this computer but I still get the message. I don't have an extra
    > drive to swap out so I thought I'd check here first to see if this might
    > be caused by something else before I run to the store for a new drive.

  3. Re: NT of hardware problem?

    Well it's about an 2 hour round trip drive to the closest computer
    store, so I wanted to make sure that I didn't make the drive for
    nothing.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message
    > Get a new drive - they don't cost much.
    >
    > If you suspect that Win2000 is at fault (which is extremely
    > unlikely), make a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com) on
    > some other machine, then boot your PC with this disk.
    > If you can't then your FDD is obviously damaged.
    >

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    > > Today I can't seem to format a blank disk on the floppy drive. And
    > > every time I try to access a good disk on the a: drive I get the
    > > following error message:
    > >
    > > The volume does not contain a recognizable file system. Please

    make
    > > sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that

    the
    > > volume is not corrupt.
    > >
    > > I've tried formatting a new disk on another machine and then

    accessing
    > > it on this computer but I still get the message. I don't have an

    extra
    > > drive to swap out so I thought I'd check here first to see if this

    might
    > > be caused by something else before I run to the store for a new

    drive.

  4. Re: NT of hardware problem?

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > Today I can't seem to format a blank disk on the floppy drive. And
    > every time I try to access a good disk on the a: drive I get the
    > following error message:
    >
    > The volume does not contain a recognizable file system. Please make
    > sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the
    > volume is not corrupt.
    >
    > I've tried formatting a new disk on another machine and then accessing
    > it on this computer but I still get the message. I don't have an extra
    > drive to swap out so I thought I'd check here first to see if this might
    > be caused by something else before I run to the store for a new drive.

    There are a few other possibilities, but I would say 99% the problem is
    hardware. Though it could just be dust accumulation and blowing out the
    dust and then using a cleaning disk would help.

    Does the drive recognize any commands at all? Does the light come on and
    the motor spin when you access it? If not it could be a loose power or data
    cable.

    If the wrong drive type is configured in the BIOS then it might also fail
    with a similar message, though not so likely.

    -- glen

  5. Re: NT of hardware problem?

    Matt wrote...

    >Well it's about an 2 hour round trip drive to the closest computer
    >store, so I wanted to make sure that I didn't make the drive for
    >nothing.

    Many new PCs come with no floppy drives.
    USB drives are popular nowaday. Just get rid of your floppy drive
    and replace it with fancier gadgets like those lovely USB drives.

  6. Re: NT of hardware problem?

    How do you get USB support on a NT 4 system?

    "Harry" wrote in message
    > Matt wrote...
    > >
    > >Well it's about an 2 hour round trip drive to the closest computer
    > >store, so I wanted to make sure that I didn't make the drive for
    > >nothing.

    > Many new PCs come with no floppy drives.
    > USB drives are popular nowaday. Just get rid of your floppy drive
    > and replace it with fancier gadgets like those lovely USB drives.

  7. Re: NT of hardware problem?

    Matt wrote...

    >How do you get USB support on a NT 4 system?

    Do a web search on "usb on NT4".
    And least I found a couple of links, like these.

    http://www.ntcompatible.com/story22577.html
    http://www.bsquare.com/dld-files/hel...forNT4FAQs.pdf

    I haven't try them myself; I'm using W2KP & XP.

  8. Re: NT of hardware problem?

    "Harry" wrote in message
    > Matt wrote...
    > >
    > >How do you get USB support on a NT 4 system?

    > Do a web search on "usb on NT4".
    > And least I found a couple of links, like these.
    >
    > http://www.ntcompatible.com/story22577.html
    > http://www.bsquare.com/dld-files/hel...forNT4FAQs.pdf
    >
    > I haven't try them myself; I'm using W2KP & XP.

    I've just tried the first link with a USB mouse. It works. Nice!

  9. Re: NT of hardware problem?

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    > "Harry" wrote in message
    >
    >>Matt wrote...
    >>
    >>>How do you get USB support on a NT 4 system?

    >>Do a web search on "usb on NT4".
    >>And least I found a couple of links, like these.
    >>
    >>http://www.ntcompatible.com/story22577.html
    >>http://www.bsquare.com/dld-files/hel...forNT4FAQs.pdf
    >>
    >>I haven't try them myself; I'm using W2KP & XP.
    >>

    > I've just tried the first link with a USB mouse. It works. Nice!

    Awesome!

    I installed Dell's drivers on my NT4 system (Asus P2B-DS, Dual P3-S
    1.4Ghz), plugged in my digicam (Nikon Coolpix 3500) and got a removable
    drive letter! One less reason to upgrade the operating system :-)

    The install program said the drivers do not support systems with more
    than one processor, but let me install anyway. Seems to work :-)

+ Reply to Thread