Restore complete Windows-NT from tape - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Restore complete Windows-NT from tape - Windows NT ; Hi @all, the harddisc of the Windows- NT4.0 - Workstation of a friend died..... He has a streamer-tape and a complete backup of his system including registry. I reinstalled Windows-NT on a new harddisk, installed the tape driver and restored ...

  1. Restore complete Windows-NT from tape

    Hi @all,
    the harddisc of the Windows- NT4.0 - Workstation of a friend died.....

    He has a streamer-tape and a complete backup of his system including
    registry.
    I reinstalled Windows-NT on a new harddisk, installed the tape driver and
    restored the complete tape (about 1 GB), marked ´restore registry´.

    The restore procedure worked about an hour, result: about seven failures,
    ntbackup could not overwrite some truetype-files (ttf) but nothing else.
    I hoped, the problem would be solved.
    But windows couldn´t boot.

    Second try:
    I installed another harddisk as boot-disk, installed NT once more, had the
    ´old, not correctly working NT´ on the second disk.
    Then I restore the old NT-System from tape to the second harddisk.
    This time no error-messages at all.
    I made the restored harddisk again the boot-disk, booted from this one.

    When I restarted the system, all necessary icon were on the desktop, but a
    lot is missing:
    - all printers do not exist
    - graphics-drivers do not exist (only VGA-Mode availabe)
    it seems, as if no registry-entries were restored.....

    How can a get the original state of the NT-installation from the correct
    tape ??

    Thanks
    Harald

  2. Re: Restore complete Windows-NT from tape

    "Harald Elsässer" wrote:

    > I installed another harddisk as boot-disk, installed NT once more, had the
    > ´old, not correctly working NT´ on the second disk.
    > Then I restore the old NT-System from tape to the second harddisk.
    > This time no error-messages at all.
    > I made the restored harddisk again the boot-disk, booted from this one.
    >
    > When I restarted the system, all necessary icon were on the desktop, but a
    > lot is missing:
    > - all printers do not exist
    > - graphics-drivers do not exist (only VGA-Mode availabe)
    > it seems, as if no registry-entries were restored.....
    >
    > How can a get the original state of the NT-installation from the correct
    > tape ??
    >
    > Thanks
    > Harald

    AFAIK, the restoration is only as good as what had been backed up
    when the tape was made. If additional system devices, applications,
    etc., had been installed subsequent to the backup, then these must be
    er-installed. There is no simpler way of restoring the Registry for a
    system that is more advanced than what had been originally backed up.

  3. Re: Restore complete Windows-NT from tape

    "Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    Thanks, Ghostrider,
    for Your quick answer :-)

    > AFAIK, the restoration is only as good as what had been backed up
    > when the tape was made. If additional system devices, applications,
    > etc., had been installed subsequent to the backup, then these must be
    > er-installed. There is no simpler way of restoring the Registry for a
    > system that is more advanced than what had been originally backed up.

    sure
    But all the software and device had been installed long before the backup
    was made...
    At the moment, when the backup was made, all devices and application worked
    fine.
    I´m sure, all these registry-entries, settings etc. are on the backup-tape,
    but they do net get restored :-(

    thx
    harald

  4. Re: Restore complete Windows-NT from tape

    You said that you re-installed WinNT on the new disk. Did you
    install it in c:\WinNT, or in some other directory? I believe that
    you must install the temporary copy elsewhere so that the backed
    up stuff can go into C:\WinNT without interfering with the current
    operating system.

    "Harald Elsässer" wrote in message
    > Hi @all,
    > the harddisc of the Windows- NT4.0 - Workstation of a friend died.....
    >
    > He has a streamer-tape and a complete backup of his system including
    > registry.
    > I reinstalled Windows-NT on a new harddisk, installed the tape driver and
    > restored the complete tape (about 1 GB), marked ´restore registry´.
    >
    > The restore procedure worked about an hour, result: about seven failures,
    > ntbackup could not overwrite some truetype-files (ttf) but nothing else.
    > I hoped, the problem would be solved.
    > But windows couldn´t boot.
    >
    > Second try:
    > I installed another harddisk as boot-disk, installed NT once more, had the
    > ´old, not correctly working NT´ on the second disk.
    > Then I restore the old NT-System from tape to the second harddisk.
    > This time no error-messages at all.
    > I made the restored harddisk again the boot-disk, booted from this one.
    >
    > When I restarted the system, all necessary icon were on the desktop, but a
    > lot is missing:
    > - all printers do not exist
    > - graphics-drivers do not exist (only VGA-Mode availabe)
    > it seems, as if no registry-entries were restored.....
    >
    > How can a get the original state of the NT-installation from the correct
    > tape ??
    >
    > Thanks
    > Harald

  5. Re: Restore complete Windows-NT from tape

    Hi Pegasus,

    "Pegasus (MVP)" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > You said that you re-installed WinNT on the new disk. Did you
    > install it in c:\WinNT, or in some other directory? I believe that
    > you must install the temporary copy elsewhere so that the backed
    > up stuff can go into C:\WinNT without interfering with the current
    > operating system.

    Yes an no....
    The first try was, that I installed Windows on drive C in C:\WinNT and
    restored to C:, so that all the restored files should overwrite the
    oriiginals.
    The second try was, that I installed Windows on drive C in C:\WinNT and had
    a second harddisk as drive D: , so that I restored to D:, so that all the
    restored files should go to d:\WinNT.

    Both versions didn´t restore my registry.

    But I will also try to install windows on a new harddisk again, now for
    example in c:\NT40 an restore to C:

    Any further hints.

    Thanks
    Harald

  6. Re: Restore complete Windows-NT from tape

    > Hi Pegasus,
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > You said that you re-installed WinNT on the new disk. Did you
    > > install it in c:\WinNT, or in some other directory? I believe that
    > > you must install the temporary copy elsewhere so that the backed
    > > up stuff can go into C:\WinNT without interfering with the current
    > > operating system.

    > Yes an no....
    > The first try was, that I installed Windows on drive C in C:\WinNT and
    > restored to C:, so that all the restored files should overwrite the
    > oriiginals.
    > The second try was, that I installed Windows on drive C in C:\WinNT and

    had
    > a second harddisk as drive D: , so that I restored to D:, so that all the
    > restored files should go to d:\WinNT.
    >
    > Both versions didn´t restore my registry.
    >
    > But I will also try to install windows on a new harddisk again, now for
    > example in c:\NT40 an restore to C:

    Do note that Windows, at least as of NT 4.0 if not earlier, is not required
    to be in C.

    My W2K is currently in K, when I installed it on a system that already had
    NT 4.0 on H:. The H: version was installed when the one installed on D: was
    corrupted somehow, but I didn't want to write over all the files on D:.

    It can install in to a logical partition, or extended partition, or whatever
    they call them.

    -- glen

  7. Re: Restore complete Windows-NT from tape

    Hi Harald,

    On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 22:01:04 +0100, "Harald Elsässer"
    wrote:

    >Hi @all,
    >the harddisc of the Windows- NT4.0 - Workstation of a friend died.....
    >
    >He has a streamer-tape and a complete backup of his system including
    >registry.
    >I reinstalled Windows-NT on a new harddisk, installed the tape driver and
    >restored the complete tape (about 1 GB), marked ´restore registry´.
    >
    >The restore procedure worked about an hour, result: about seven failures,
    >ntbackup could not overwrite some truetype-files (ttf) but nothing else.
    >I hoped, the problem would be solved.
    >But windows couldn´t boot.

    Best way I know is the following:
    Install NT in a directory with a new name - "NTback" or something,
    than install the tape-driver and restore your old system. Afterwards
    you should be able to boot your new, old system. Now you can delete
    "NTback".
    If it's not working, there must be something with the tape or the
    backup was not complete.

    Good luck
    Klaus

+ Reply to Thread