NT and SCSI - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NT and SCSI - Windows NT ; I have an older Supermicro P6SBU motherboard with an onboard AIC-7890 Ultra II SCSI controller. Well the system crashed and when I reinstalled NT4 sp6 I noticed that I didn't have the SCSI drivers. I have a manual that came ...

  1. NT and SCSI

    I have an older Supermicro P6SBU motherboard with an onboard AIC-7890
    Ultra II SCSI controller. Well the system crashed and when I
    reinstalled NT4 sp6 I noticed that I didn't have the SCSI drivers. I
    have a manual that came with the system for Adaptec EZ-SCSI/Adaptec 7800
    Family Manager set v3.x, and the motherboard manual says that the SCSI
    controller functions with Adaptec RAIDport III (ARO-1130U2). So I went
    to Adaptec's site and downloaded the drivers for the 7800, but can I
    just install this driver set or will I need to reinstall NT from
    scratch? Tech support for the motherboard just told me this:

    The correct way to install NT on a AIC7890 SCSI motherboard is
    1. Please place the CDROM disc (Windows NT) in the CDROM drive.
    2. Go to the BIOS and select ATAPI CDROM (if you have an IDE CDROM
    drive) or SCSI (if you have a SCSI CDROM).
    3. Reboot the system and when you see the screen display "NT inspecting
    your system" press the "F6" key.
    4. When the files stop loading and a message about no mass storage
    device found, please the "S" key and select OEM driver
    5. Please the NT driver floppy disk in the floppy drive and press
    return.
    6. IF YOU HAVE an IDE CDROM press "S" again and use the up arrow key to
    select ATAPI IDE CDROM version 1.2 and hit return (NOT NEEDED if you
    have a SCSI CDROM drive).
    7. System will not load an give you the change to partition your drive.
    8. If you want to access the CDROM from DOS, you will need EZSCSI
    version 5.0 which is located on the CDROM we provided with motherboard
    ( will need another computer with CDROM access to copy the files to a
    floppy.

    And does anyone know if I will need additional software to set up RAID
    0? I can't seem to find the literature on Adaptec's site, probably due
    to the fact that this is so old.

  2. Re: NT and SCSI

    If you can get WinNT up and running then you can install your
    SCSI driver by clicking the SCSI icon in the Control Panel and
    adding a new driver.

    WinNT Server supports RAID 0 (mirroring) without third-party tools.
    I'm not sure about WinNT Workstation.

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > I have an older Supermicro P6SBU motherboard with an onboard AIC-7890
    > Ultra II SCSI controller. Well the system crashed and when I
    > reinstalled NT4 sp6 I noticed that I didn't have the SCSI drivers. I
    > have a manual that came with the system for Adaptec EZ-SCSI/Adaptec 7800
    > Family Manager set v3.x, and the motherboard manual says that the SCSI
    > controller functions with Adaptec RAIDport III (ARO-1130U2). So I went
    > to Adaptec's site and downloaded the drivers for the 7800, but can I
    > just install this driver set or will I need to reinstall NT from
    > scratch? Tech support for the motherboard just told me this:
    >
    > The correct way to install NT on a AIC7890 SCSI motherboard is
    > 1. Please place the CDROM disc (Windows NT) in the CDROM drive.
    > 2. Go to the BIOS and select ATAPI CDROM (if you have an IDE CDROM
    > drive) or SCSI (if you have a SCSI CDROM).
    > 3. Reboot the system and when you see the screen display "NT inspecting
    > your system" press the "F6" key.
    > 4. When the files stop loading and a message about no mass storage
    > device found, please the "S" key and select OEM driver
    > 5. Please the NT driver floppy disk in the floppy drive and press
    > return.
    > 6. IF YOU HAVE an IDE CDROM press "S" again and use the up arrow key to
    > select ATAPI IDE CDROM version 1.2 and hit return (NOT NEEDED if you
    > have a SCSI CDROM drive).
    > 7. System will not load an give you the change to partition your drive.
    > 8. If you want to access the CDROM from DOS, you will need EZSCSI
    > version 5.0 which is located on the CDROM we provided with motherboard
    > ( will need another computer with CDROM access to copy the files to a
    > floppy.
    >

    > And does anyone know if I will need additional software to set up RAID
    > 0? I can't seem to find the literature on Adaptec's site, probably due
    > to the fact that this is so old.

  3. Re: NT and SCSI

    Thanks for the tip, that worked perfectly!! I got WinNT Workstation to
    set up a RAID 0, but is there a place to set the drive speeds and cache
    to maximum, or is this done by default in NT?

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message
    > If you can get WinNT up and running then you can install your
    > SCSI driver by clicking the SCSI icon in the Control Panel and
    > adding a new driver.
    >
    > WinNT Server supports RAID 0 (mirroring) without third-party tools.
    > I'm not sure about WinNT Workstation.
    >

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    > > I have an older Supermicro P6SBU motherboard with an onboard

    AIC-7890
    > > Ultra II SCSI controller. Well the system crashed and when I
    > > reinstalled NT4 sp6 I noticed that I didn't have the SCSI drivers.

    > > have a manual that came with the system for Adaptec EZ-SCSI/Adaptec

    7800
    > > Family Manager set v3.x, and the motherboard manual says that the

    SCSI
    > > controller functions with Adaptec RAIDport III (ARO-1130U2). So I

    went
    > > to Adaptec's site and downloaded the drivers for the 7800, but can I
    > > just install this driver set or will I need to reinstall NT from
    > > scratch? Tech support for the motherboard just told me this:
    > >
    > > The correct way to install NT on a AIC7890 SCSI motherboard is
    > > 1. Please place the CDROM disc (Windows NT) in the CDROM drive.
    > > 2. Go to the BIOS and select ATAPI CDROM (if you have an IDE CDROM
    > > drive) or SCSI (if you have a SCSI CDROM).
    > > 3. Reboot the system and when you see the screen display "NT

    inspecting
    > > your system" press the "F6" key.
    > > 4. When the files stop loading and a message about no mass storage
    > > device found, please the "S" key and select OEM driver
    > > 5. Please the NT driver floppy disk in the floppy drive and press
    > > return.
    > > 6. IF YOU HAVE an IDE CDROM press "S" again and use the up arrow key

    > > select ATAPI IDE CDROM version 1.2 and hit return (NOT NEEDED if you
    > > have a SCSI CDROM drive).
    > > 7. System will not load an give you the change to partition your

    drive.
    > > 8. If you want to access the CDROM from DOS, you will need EZSCSI
    > > version 5.0 which is located on the CDROM we provided with

    motherboard
    > > ( will need another computer with CDROM access to copy the files to

    > > floppy.
    > >

    > > And does anyone know if I will need additional software to set up

    RAID
    > > 0? I can't seem to find the literature on Adaptec's site, probably

    due
    > > to the fact that this is so old.

  4. Re: NT and SCSI

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > I have an older Supermicro P6SBU motherboard with an onboard AIC-7890
    > Ultra II SCSI controller. Well the system crashed and when I
    > reinstalled NT4 sp6 I noticed that I didn't have the SCSI drivers. I
    > have a manual that came with the system for Adaptec EZ-SCSI/Adaptec 7800
    > Family Manager set v3.x, and the motherboard manual says that the SCSI
    > controller functions with Adaptec RAIDport III (ARO-1130U2). So I went
    > to Adaptec's site and downloaded the drivers for the 7800, but can I
    > just install this driver set or will I need to reinstall NT from
    > scratch? Tech support for the motherboard just told me this:

    (snip)

    I believe there are complications if you want to boot from a SCSI disk. If
    the CD doesn't have the driver, the install program won't find the disk to
    install on. There are ways around that problem.

    If you are installing a driver for other than the boot disk/controller the
    normal install process should be fine.

    -- glen

+ Reply to Thread