NT 4 server as router - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NT 4 server as router - Windows NT ; Anywhere i can learn how to make NT 4 server as a router ? It needs to view different subnets. Thanks. Regards, Daniel...

  1. NT 4 server as router

    Anywhere i can learn how to make NT 4 server as a router ? It needs to
    view different subnets. Thanks.

    Regards,
    Daniel

  2. Re: NT 4 server as router

    "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    news:6a6a9040.0310210708.e08302d@posting.google.co m...
    > Anywhere i can learn how to make NT 4 server as a router ? It needs to
    > view different subnets. Thanks.

    Turn on IP forwarding in the network control panel.

    -- glen

  3. Re: NT 4 server as router

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:24:44 GMT, "Glen Herrmannsfeldt"
    wrote:

    >"Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    >news:6a6a9040.0310210708.e08302d@posting.google.co m...
    >> Anywhere i can learn how to make NT 4 server as a router ? It needs to
    >> view different subnets. Thanks.

    >Turn on IP forwarding in the network control panel.

    You may also need to use the route command (with the persistent
    switch) if it needs to know about other routes.

  4. Re: NT 4 server as router

    Hi Glen, just that ? i thought have to install RRAS like in windows
    2000. So how does NT 4 discover know the other subnets ? Thanks.

    Regards,
    Daniel

    "Glen Herrmannsfeldt" wrote in message news:<0QAlb.280$ao4.1900@attbi_s51>...
    > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > news:6a6a9040.0310210708.e08302d@posting.google.co m...
    > > Anywhere i can learn how to make NT 4 server as a router ? It needs to
    > > view different subnets. Thanks.

    > Turn on IP forwarding in the network control panel.
    >
    > -- glen

  5. Re: NT 4 server as router

    "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    news:6a6a9040.0310231858.56c26257@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi Glen, just that ? i thought have to install RRAS like in windows
    > 2000. So how does NT 4 discover know the other subnets ? Thanks.

    If you use static routes, that should be all.

    RRAS includes RIP, which is often used on small nets, and may be useful, and
    seems to be free.

    -- glen

  6. Re: NT 4 server as router

    So how to configure a static routes in NT ? Thanks

    Regards,
    Daniel

    "Glen Herrmannsfeldt" wrote in message news:...
    > "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > news:6a6a9040.0310231858.56c26257@posting.google.c om...
    > > Hi Glen, just that ? i thought have to install RRAS like in windows
    > > 2000. So how does NT 4 discover know the other subnets ? Thanks.

    > If you use static routes, that should be all.
    >
    > RRAS includes RIP, which is often used on small nets, and may be useful, and
    > seems to be free.
    >
    > -- glen

  7. Re: NT 4 server as router

    "Daniel Tan" wrote in message news:6a6a9040.0310290918.53e0c68c@posting.google.c om...
    > So how to configure a static routes in NT ? Thanks

    See chris's reply!

    --
    Ritchie, undo for mail

  8. Re: NT 4 server as router

    Chris, can Windows nt 4 discover other subnets by itself ?

    Regards,
    Daniel

    chris@nospam.com wrote in message news:...
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:24:44 GMT, "Glen Herrmannsfeldt"
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    > >news:6a6a9040.0310210708.e08302d@posting.google.co m...
    > >> Anywhere i can learn how to make NT 4 server as a router ? It needs to
    > >> view different subnets. Thanks.

    > >Turn on IP forwarding in the network control panel.

    > You may also need to use the route command (with the persistent
    > switch) if it needs to know about other routes.

  9. Re: NT 4 server as router

    On 2 Nov 2003 05:20:14 -0800, danieltan@time.net.my (Daniel Tan)
    wrote:

    >Chris, can Windows nt 4 discover other subnets by itself ?

    As I recall, NT4 server had a RIP listener you could setup to listen
    for routing info broadcasts from routers.

  10. Re: NT 4 server as router

    Does router broadcast ? Any method that could set it up ?

    Regards,
    Daniel

    chris@nospam.com wrote in message news:...
    > On 2 Nov 2003 05:20:14 -0800, danieltan@time.net.my (Daniel Tan)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Chris, can Windows nt 4 discover other subnets by itself ?

    > As I recall, NT4 server had a RIP listener you could setup to listen
    > for routing info broadcasts from routers.

+ Reply to Thread