Re: 2GB mac volume limit in NT 4.0? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Re: 2GB mac volume limit in NT 4.0? - Windows NT ; "bill" wrote in message news:c30ec78.0308130625.752c194a@posting.google.co m... > Good Morning! > > I'm new to this group, but thought I'd pose a question for those in > the know... > > I recently installed a 300 GB hard drive on our ...

  1. Re: 2GB mac volume limit in NT 4.0?

    "bill" wrote in message
    news:c30ec78.0308130625.752c194a@posting.google.co m...
    > Good Morning!
    >
    > I'm new to this group, but thought I'd pose a question for those in
    > the know...
    >
    > I recently installed a 300 GB hard drive on our Windows NT 4.0
    > network, and am unable to share more than a 2 GB allotment of space
    > with our mac clients. I know the macs can use more than 2 GB on this
    > drive, as long as each "chunk" of data to be copied is no larger than
    > 2 GB. This is a problem since many times the "chunks" often exceed
    > this size. I've heard that this is an unfortunate limitation of NT 4.0
    > and macs, but am wondering if there isn't a tweak or 3rd party
    > solution???
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help!
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > ~Bill Rogers
    >
    > p.s. we also have XP pro, and '98 machines on the network if that
    > would help.

    Give us a clue: what version of Mac OS are you running, and if below OS X
    what 3rd party software are you using to get at the NT shares ?

    FR
    --
    We should silence anyone who opposes the right to freedom of speech. - Sir
    Boyle Roche

  2. Re: 2GB mac volume limit in NT 4.0?

    "Fester Rancid" wrote in message news:<3f3a842d$0$960$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>...
    > "bill" wrote in message
    > news:c30ec78.0308130625.752c194a@posting.google.co m...
    > > Good Morning!
    > >
    > > I'm new to this group, but thought I'd pose a question for those in
    > > the know...
    > >
    > > I recently installed a 300 GB hard drive on our Windows NT 4.0
    > > network, and am unable to share more than a 2 GB allotment of space
    > > with our mac clients. I know the macs can use more than 2 GB on this
    > > drive, as long as each "chunk" of data to be copied is no larger than
    > > 2 GB. This is a problem since many times the "chunks" often exceed
    > > this size. I've heard that this is an unfortunate limitation of NT 4.0
    > > and macs, but am wondering if there isn't a tweak or 3rd party
    > > solution???
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for your help!
    > >
    > > Sincerely,
    > > ~Bill Rogers
    > >
    > > p.s. we also have XP pro, and '98 machines on the network if that
    > > would help.

    > Give us a clue: what version of Mac OS are you running, and if below OS X
    > what 3rd party software are you using to get at the NT shares ?
    >
    > FR

    Jaguar on most of the macs. No 3rd party software on the mac side...
    We are creating sharable mac volumes (on the nt side) via old school
    File Manager--> MacFile --> Create Volume which amounts to a 2GB
    limit.

    Thanks!

    ~bill (posting via google... please forgive the time delay)

  3. Re: 2GB mac volume limit in NT 4.0?

    On 13 Aug 2003 16:44:57 -0700, brdhouse1@yahoo.com (bill) wrote:

    >"Fester Rancid" wrote in message news:<3f3a842d$0$960$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>...
    >> "bill" wrote in message
    >> news:c30ec78.0308130625.752c194a@posting.google.co m...
    >> > Good Morning!
    >> >
    >> > I'm new to this group, but thought I'd pose a question for those in
    >> > the know...
    >> >
    >> > I recently installed a 300 GB hard drive on our Windows NT 4.0
    >> > network, and am unable to share more than a 2 GB allotment of space
    >> > with our mac clients. I know the macs can use more than 2 GB on this
    >> > drive, as long as each "chunk" of data to be copied is no larger than
    >> > 2 GB. This is a problem since many times the "chunks" often exceed
    >> > this size. I've heard that this is an unfortunate limitation of NT 4.0
    >> > and macs, but am wondering if there isn't a tweak or 3rd party
    >> > solution???
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance for your help!
    >> >
    >> > Sincerely,
    >> > ~Bill Rogers
    >> >
    >> > p.s. we also have XP pro, and '98 machines on the network if that
    >> > would help.

    >> Give us a clue: what version of Mac OS are you running, and if below OS X
    >> what 3rd party software are you using to get at the NT shares ?
    >>
    >> FR

    >Jaguar on most of the macs. No 3rd party software on the mac side...
    >We are creating sharable mac volumes (on the nt side) via old school
    >File Manager--> MacFile --> Create Volume which amounts to a 2GB
    >limit.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >~bill (posting via google... please forgive the time delay)

    You are correct this is a limitation of the Services For Mac on NT4.
    The free space reported to clients is limited to 2-gig, which means
    the clients will refuse to attempt to write files bigger than 2-gig.

    If you only have a few Mac clients, I'd suggest buying DAVE for them
    and let them emulate windows clients. Far more seamless and you avoid
    having to maintain seperate shares/printers for the mac clients.

    -Chris

+ Reply to Thread