Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP - Windows NT ; Hi, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing. My question ...

  1. Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP

    Hi,

    I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another
    thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I
    have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing.

    My question is :

    A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for
    cheap.
    Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two
    operating
    systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT
    workstation system that I already have ?

    For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is
    there any
    difference in using NT and 2000 or XP home ?

  2. Re: Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP

    "Jack W." schreef in bericht
    news:6de7f155.0308130545.60bcdf43@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another
    > thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I
    > have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing.
    >
    > My question is :
    >
    > A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for
    > cheap.
    > Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two
    > operating
    > systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT
    > workstation system that I already have ?
    >
    > For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is
    > there any
    > difference in using NT and 2000 or XP home ?

    For those things you want to do, Windows NT4 is a very good OS. However,
    Windows 2000 and XP do have support for more hardware than NT4, and USB is
    ofcourse not supported in NT4. On the other side, NT4 is much less
    memory-hungry (it works fine with 64 MB of RAM) compared to Windows 2000 or
    XP.

    Also, please bear in mind that support for NT4 will be stopped in a few
    months, so there will be no new patched available.

  3. Re: Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP

    In message <6de7f155.0308130545.60bcdf43@posting.google.com>, Jack W.
    writes
    >Hi,
    >
    >I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another
    >thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I
    >have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing.
    >
    >My question is :
    >
    >A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for
    >cheap.
    >Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two
    >operating
    >systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT
    >workstation system that I already have ?
    >
    >For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is
    >there any
    >difference in using NT and 2000 or XP home ?

    Jack,

    My thoughts.

    I would stick with NT if the new box has no USB ports on it.

    If the box does have USB ports I would invest the $40 in W2K because you
    will find all sorts of useful devices (Printers, Scanners, cameras and
    pocket PC/Palm devices) are designed around the USB interface. Non USB
    equivalents will be a hassle and (if available) more expensive.

    I switched to W2k from NT about two years ago ONLY because I needed USB
    support for some newer devices which doesn't exist under NT. Other than
    that I didn't notice any real difference.

    I have so far found no need to go to XP - and accept its rather
    draconian (just my view) licence activation approach.

    Regards

    --
    Peter R Cook

  4. Re: Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP

    In my opinion, I'd go with Win2K. It has the stability of WinNT, has
    (to my mind) a more intuitive interface, is very good with Plug and
    Play, supports most devices, including USB (even supports "memory
    keys" without any special software required). Plus it is still
    actively supported, with updates and everything ...

    On 13 Aug 2003 06:45:01 -0700, buywheels@hotmail.com (Jack W.) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another
    >thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I
    >have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing.
    >
    >My question is :
    >
    >A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for
    >cheap.
    >Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two
    >operating
    >systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT
    >workstation system that I already have ?
    >
    >For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is
    >there any
    >difference in using NT and 2000 or XP home ?

+ Reply to Thread