cannot find files if commands are entered from DOS Command Prompt - Windows NT

This is a discussion on cannot find files if commands are entered from DOS Command Prompt - Windows NT ; Hi, I was trying to do the following (I was in C:\): c:\notepad somefile.html I got a notepad with nothing in it, meaning it could not find the file, although the file is there. I tried explorer somefile.html and explorer ...

  1. cannot find files if commands are entered from DOS Command Prompt

    Hi,

    I was trying to do the following (I was in C:\):
    c:\notepad somefile.html
    I got a notepad with nothing in it, meaning it could not find the
    file, although the file is there.
    I tried
    explorer somefile.html
    and
    explorer C:\somefile.html
    I got the following popup error message:
    The path 'C:\somefile.html' does not exist or is not a directory.

    Again, the file does exist in the exact location, but explorer.exe
    could not find the file.

    I tried the same commands in other Windows PCs, and they worked. They
    just do not work on this particular PC.

    It seems to me that the system's path is not set properly, so it could
    not find any files. However, I cannot find anything wrong with the
    path, which is as follows:
    %VISION_ROOT%\bin\win32\cvl;%SystemRoot%\system32; %SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;c:\pavfn\e xch;c:\pavfn\platinum;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\DISTIN~ 1;C:\Program
    Files\IBM\Desktop On-Call\IBM\GSK4\lib;

    Any suggestions? BTW, I'm using Windows NT 4.0.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: cannot find files if commands are entered from DOS Command Prompt

    I believe you will need change the current directory or specify the full path. The Path environment variable is used for executable files, not for data files.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  3. Re: cannot find files if commands are entered from DOS Command Prompt

    "minjie" wrote in message
    news:a06d6e69.0308121326.7c759e25@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was trying to do the following (I was in C:\):
    > c:\notepad somefile.html
    > I got a notepad with nothing in it, meaning it could not find the
    > file, although the file is there.
    > I tried
    > explorer somefile.html
    > and
    > explorer C:\somefile.html
    > I got the following popup error message:
    > The path 'C:\somefile.html' does not exist or is not a directory.
    >
    > Again, the file does exist in the exact location, but explorer.exe
    > could not find the file.
    >
    > I tried the same commands in other Windows PCs, and they worked. They
    > just do not work on this particular PC.
    >
    > It seems to me that the system's path is not set properly, so it could
    > not find any files. However, I cannot find anything wrong with the
    > path, which is as follows:

    %VISION_ROOT%\bin\win32\cvl;%SystemRoot%\system32; %SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\
    System32\Wbem;c:\pavfn\exch;c:\pavfn\platinum;C:\P ROGRA~1\COMMON~1\DISTIN~1;
    C:\Program
    > Files\IBM\Desktop On-Call\IBM\GSK4\lib;
    >
    > Any suggestions? BTW, I'm using Windows NT 4.0.
    > Thanks.

    As Mike said, the path is used for executables, not for data files.
    It would be highly confusing if it was the other way round: you
    would never know which data file you were looking at if there was
    any ambiguity in the command. It could be

    - c:\winnt\system32\somefile.html
    - c:\winnt\somefile.html
    - c:\winnt\system32\wbem\somefile.html
    etc.

    depending on where you started the notepad command from.
    A sure recipe for headaches . . .

  4. Re: cannot find files if commands are entered from DOS Command Prompt

    Mike Walsh wrote in message news:<3F39A526.73B9C14D@sbcglobal.net>...
    > I believe you will need change the current directory or specify the full path. The Path environment variable is used for executable files, not for data files.

    I did try the full path (see my original message). Why the file still
    could not be found? Are there any other setups I need to do? Please
    advise. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread