Install NT workstation to a blank harddrive - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Install NT workstation to a blank harddrive - Windows NT ; Hi, I just purchase a used Pentium II computer for cheap with a blank harddrive. The seller told me that the harddrive is 'low level formatted', whatever that means. How do I install Windows NT to this machine from a ...

  1. Install NT workstation to a blank harddrive

    Hi,

    I just purchase a used Pentium II computer for cheap with a blank
    harddrive.
    The seller told me that the harddrive is 'low level formatted',
    whatever that means. How do I install Windows NT to this machine from
    a CD ?

    As you can see I am quite clueless when it comes to installing
    operating systems. Appreciate if some of you knowledgable people can
    help me.

  2. Re: Install NT workstation to a blank harddrive

    Boot with the CD and start the installation. You will be prompted to create a partition for the OS. The maximum size partition you can create during installation is 4 GB.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  3. Re: Install NT workstation to a blank harddrive

    I ended up install DOS 6.0 with three disks I had from 1993.....,
    anyway I was not able to claim all 3 GB of disk space no matter how I
    tried with FDISK, only 2GB was set on the primary partition. Is it a
    limit for DOS 6.0 ?

    Since I already have the computer up and running with DOS, I am sure
    installing NT will be very easy. Thanks for everyone who have
    responded to me on the group or privately. I really appreciate it.

    I have another question regarding the comparison of NT and windows
    2000 and windows XP, will post that on another thread.

    Mike Walsh wrote in message news:<3F39A6A8.CB376E5B@sbcglobal.net>...
    > Boot with the CD and start the installation. You will be prompted to create a partition for the OS. The maximum size partition you can create during installation is 4 GB.
    >
    > "Jack W." wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I just purchase a used Pentium II computer for cheap with a blank
    > > harddrive.
    > > The seller told me that the harddrive is 'low level formatted',
    > > whatever that means. How do I install Windows NT to this machine from
    > > a CD ?
    > >
    > > As you can see I am quite clueless when it comes to installing
    > > operating systems. Appreciate if some of you knowledgable people can
    > > help me.

  4. Re: Install NT workstation to a blank harddrive

    "Jack W." schreef in bericht
    news:6de7f155.0308130541.306b1ee1@posting.google.c om...
    > I ended up install DOS 6.0 with three disks I had from 1993.....,
    > anyway I was not able to claim all 3 GB of disk space no matter how I
    > tried with FDISK, only 2GB was set on the primary partition. Is it a
    > limit for DOS 6.0 ?

    Yes, DOS 6 uses FAT16, with cannot handle partitions larger then 2 GB.
    Although NT also uses FAT16, it is able to use 4 GB (and a lot more on NTFS)

+ Reply to Thread