move HD w/ nt OS and exchange 5.5 - Windows NT

This is a discussion on move HD w/ nt OS and exchange 5.5 - Windows NT ; Forgive me if this is a dumb question. But...can I simply move a scsi drive with nt server/exchange installed to a new physical server? The machines are quite different (ram/cpu/6 years diff) If not, how can I move that scsi ...

  1. move HD w/ nt OS and exchange 5.5

    Forgive me if this is a dumb question.

    But...can I simply move a scsi drive with nt server/exchange installed to a
    new physical server? The machines are quite different (ram/cpu/6 years diff)

    If not, how can I move that scsi so that it works on the new server and keep
    all the software/setup/accounts/etc.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. Re: move HD w/ nt OS and exchange 5.5

    Yes, it can be done. The drive will probably have to be on the same number adapter and ID as the original system to be able to boot. You will probably have to boot in VGA mode and install a new video driver. There will probably be many other changes, e.g. run disk administrator to configure your new disks, and set up your new network.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  3. Re: move HD w/ nt OS and exchange 5.5

    "Phil L." wrote in message
    news:8DuYa.117189$hOa.71128@news02.bloor.is.net.ca ble.rogers.com...
    > Forgive me if this is a dumb question.
    >
    > But...can I simply move a scsi drive with nt server/exchange installed to

    > new physical server? The machines are quite different (ram/cpu/6 years

    diff)

    > If not, how can I move that scsi so that it works on the new server and

    keep
    > all the software/setup/accounts/etc.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.

    If it's WinNT then you probably can. Make sure you install the
    new SCSI driver while the disk is still on the old system. You
    will have to change some of the other drivers when the system
    is up and running on the new hardware.

+ Reply to Thread