Re: Save me! Windows 2000 always blue screen... - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Re: Save me! Windows 2000 always blue screen... - Windows NT ; "walala" wrote in message news:bgjeu0$lp9$1@mozo.cc.purdue.edu... > Every day, the windows 2000 system blue screen 10+ times... basically I can > do nothing of my work... whereever I am, whatever I do, it blue-screens. > Browsing webpage, checking email, playing music. ...

  1. Re: Save me! Windows 2000 always blue screen...

    "walala" wrote in message
    > Every day, the windows 2000 system blue screen 10+ times... basically I

    can
    > do nothing of my work... whereever I am, whatever I do, it blue-screens.
    > Browsing webpage, checking email, playing music. The symdrom happens very
    > frequently recently, before that it was very stable originally.
    >
    > I guess the reason: a) the weather is too hot? b) some patches made the
    > system crazy?
    >
    > Anyrate, can anybody help to save me out?
    >
    > (My computer is Athlon 1800+. Sometimes the blue screen error message says
    > "PAGE in NOT-PAGED MEMORY", sometimes says " HANDLING EXCEPTION", the
    > location of error sometimes is in win32k.sys, somes in others...)
    >
    > Thank you very much,
    >
    > -Walalla

    If this was my machine then here is what I would do:
    - Save all data
    - Boot the machine with a Win98 disk from www.bootdisk.com
    - Use fdisk.exe to delete all existing partitions (you will lose all data!)
    - Create two partitions: C: (for Win2000), D: (for data)
    - Install Win2000 from scratch
    - Install all applications
    - Wait a week until things have settled down
    - Use an imaging program such as DriveImage or Ghost to
    create an image file of my installation, to be used when
    the system goes sour next time.

  2. Re: Save me! Windows 2000 always blue screen...

    Hi Pegasus,

    Yeah, this seems to be the only good solution... But that kills everying...
    Many years ago when I loved to toy with computers I did the same thing again
    and again... I keep getting virus and install new system all-over every 2-3
    days... but I am old, and have more serious work to do and am not willing to
    spend time on re-install the whole systems and softwares...

    Most importantly, some personal data such as address book, email contacts,
    etc, are really error prone if I export them but could not import them into
    new system.

    Also drivers can be a problem. Windows 2000 have not incorporated all
    drivers for my computer, I lost my manual, well, I guess it is lieing
    quietly somewhere, but I just don't see it and without manual I dont' which
    device I am runing and which driver I am in need of.

    Re-installation of the whole system is terrible... is there any other way
    out? Please save me!

    Thanks,

    -Walala

    "Pegasus (MVP)" дʼ

    > "walala" wrote in message
    > > Every day, the windows 2000 system blue screen 10+ times... basically I

    > can
    > > do nothing of my work... whereever I am, whatever I do, it blue-screens.
    > > Browsing webpage, checking email, playing music. The symdrom happens

    very
    > > frequently recently, before that it was very stable originally.
    > >
    > > I guess the reason: a) the weather is too hot? b) some patches made the
    > > system crazy?
    > >
    > > Anyrate, can anybody help to save me out?
    > >
    > > (My computer is Athlon 1800+. Sometimes the blue screen error message

    says
    > > "PAGE in NOT-PAGED MEMORY", sometimes says " HANDLING EXCEPTION", the
    > > location of error sometimes is in win32k.sys, somes in others...)
    > >
    > > Thank you very much,
    > >
    > > -Walalla
    > >

    > If this was my machine then here is what I would do:
    > - Save all data
    > - Boot the machine with a Win98 disk from www.bootdisk.com
    > - Use fdisk.exe to delete all existing partitions (you will lose all

    data!)
    > - Create two partitions: C: (for Win2000), D: (for data)
    > - Install Win2000 from scratch
    > - Install all applications
    > - Wait a week until things have settled down
    > - Use an imaging program such as DriveImage or Ghost to
    > create an image file of my installation, to be used when
    > the system goes sour next time.

  3. Re: Save me! Windows 2000 always blue screen...

    walala wrote:

    > Hi Pegasus,
    >
    > Yeah, this seems to be the only good solution... But that kills everying...
    > Many years ago when I loved to toy with computers I did the same thing again
    > and again... I keep getting virus and install new system all-over every 2-3
    > days... but I am old, and have more serious work to do and am not willing to
    > spend time on re-install the whole systems and softwares...
    >
    > Most importantly, some personal data such as address book, email contacts,
    > etc, are really error prone if I export them but could not import them into
    > new system.
    >
    > Also drivers can be a problem. Windows 2000 have not incorporated all
    > drivers for my computer, I lost my manual, well, I guess it is lieing
    > quietly somewhere, but I just don't see it and without manual I dont' which
    > device I am runing and which driver I am in need of.
    >
    > Re-installation of the whole system is terrible... is there any other way
    > out? Please save me!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Walala

    At this stage, it might be best to modify Pegasus's advice slightly. First, back
    up everything that is important. Next, get a new computer and put the cd's,
    manuals, etc., in a safe place. Reload the data files but also develop a sound
    backup strategy for the future. Any solid system from IBM, Dell, etc., would
    certainly eliminate the problems of blue screen crashes.

  4. Re: Save me! Windows 2000 always blue screen...

    I am in a situation that is just as bad as yours: I cannot
    afford the time to fix my PC each time something goes
    wrong. This is why I invest the time to do this:
    - Keep all data on drive D:
    - Back up all data on a weekly basis
    - Create an image file of drive C: once every two months
    - Keep the previous image file for another two months.

    Late last week my machine went belly-up. I spent one
    hour trying to fix it (without success), then another 30
    minutes restoring it from the most recent image I had.
    I did not have to bother about my data: Not only was it
    backed up but it was safely out of the way on drive C:.
    I think this compares favourably to the time you must
    have spent trying to fix your PC.

    About your problem: I'm sure it can be solved if you have
    enough time to try lots of approaches and find enough
    people to make additional suggestions. Here are a few
    things that could cause your problem. I do not have the
    faintest idea which one it is - only trial and error will
    show.

    - Bad RAM modules
    - CPU overheating
    - Virus infection
    - Damaged files (run sfc.exe to restore them)
    - Damaged installation (install Win2000 over the top
    of your existing installation. This will preserve your
    current settings.)
    - Damaged driver files (re-install your drivers)
    - Post your problem in this newsgroup:
    microsoft.public.win2000.general
    It has a much wider audience than this one.

    And back up your files while you can!

    EMail stuff (Outlook, Outlook Express) is easy to back up and
    restore prior to formatting your disk.

    "walala" wrote in message
    > Hi Pegasus,
    >
    > Yeah, this seems to be the only good solution... But that kills

    everying...
    > Many years ago when I loved to toy with computers I did the same thing

    again
    > and again... I keep getting virus and install new system all-over every

    2-3
    > days... but I am old, and have more serious work to do and am not willing

    > spend time on re-install the whole systems and softwares...
    >
    > Most importantly, some personal data such as address book, email contacts,
    > etc, are really error prone if I export them but could not import them

    into
    > new system.
    >
    > Also drivers can be a problem. Windows 2000 have not incorporated all
    > drivers for my computer, I lost my manual, well, I guess it is lieing
    > quietly somewhere, but I just don't see it and without manual I dont'

    which
    > device I am runing and which driver I am in need of.
    >
    > Re-installation of the whole system is terrible... is there any other way
    > out? Please save me!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Walala
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" дʼ
    > >
    > > "walala" wrote in message
    > > > Every day, the windows 2000 system blue screen 10+ times... basically

    > > can
    > > > do nothing of my work... whereever I am, whatever I do, it

    blue-screens.
    > > > Browsing webpage, checking email, playing music. The symdrom happens

    > very
    > > > frequently recently, before that it was very stable originally.
    > > >
    > > > I guess the reason: a) the weather is too hot? b) some patches made

    the
    > > > system crazy?
    > > >
    > > > Anyrate, can anybody help to save me out?
    > > >
    > > > (My computer is Athlon 1800+. Sometimes the blue screen error message

    > says
    > > > "PAGE in NOT-PAGED MEMORY", sometimes says " HANDLING EXCEPTION", the
    > > > location of error sometimes is in win32k.sys, somes in others...)
    > > >
    > > > Thank you very much,
    > > >
    > > > -Walalla
    > > >

    > > If this was my machine then here is what I would do:
    > > - Save all data
    > > - Boot the machine with a Win98 disk from www.bootdisk.com
    > > - Use fdisk.exe to delete all existing partitions (you will lose all

    > data!)
    > > - Create two partitions: C: (for Win2000), D: (for data)
    > > - Install Win2000 from scratch
    > > - Install all applications
    > > - Wait a week until things have settled down
    > > - Use an imaging program such as DriveImage or Ghost to
    > > create an image file of my installation, to be used when
    > > the system goes sour next time.

  5. Re: Save me! Windows 2000 always blue screen...

    "GHalleck" wrote in message

    > walala wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Pegasus,
    > >
    > > Yeah, this seems to be the only good solution... But that kills

    everying...
    > > Many years ago when I loved to toy with computers I did the same thing

    again
    > > and again... I keep getting virus and install new system all-over every

    2-3
    > > days... but I am old, and have more serious work to do and am not

    willing to
    > > spend time on re-install the whole systems and softwares...
    > >
    > > Most importantly, some personal data such as address book, email

    contacts,
    > > etc, are really error prone if I export them but could not import them

    into
    > > new system.
    > >
    > > Also drivers can be a problem. Windows 2000 have not incorporated all
    > > drivers for my computer, I lost my manual, well, I guess it is lieing
    > > quietly somewhere, but I just don't see it and without manual I dont'

    which
    > > device I am runing and which driver I am in need of.
    > >
    > > Re-installation of the whole system is terrible... is there any other

    way
    > > out? Please save me!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > -Walala

    > At this stage, it might be best to modify Pegasus's advice slightly.

    First, back
    > up everything that is important. Next, get a new computer and put the

    cd's,
    > manuals, etc., in a safe place. Reload the data files but also develop a

    sound
    > backup strategy for the future. Any solid system from IBM, Dell, etc.,

    would
    > certainly eliminate the problems of blue screen crashes.

    I agree with the first part of your clarification but not at all with your
    last statement. I have worked in the PC field for some 25 years now,
    and during this time I noticed that only a miniscule proprortion of all
    problems were caused by PCs purchased from non-mainstream
    manufacturers. The vast majority of all problems were software
    problems. In other words, it would have made no difference if my
    clients had used a brand-PC.

    This, of course, is only my personal opinion.

  6. Re: Save me! Windows 2000 always blue screen...

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "GHalleck" wrote in message
    >
    > > At this stage, it might be best to modify Pegasus's advice slightly.

    > First, back
    > > up everything that is important. Next, get a new computer and put the

    > cd's,
    > > manuals, etc., in a safe place. Reload the data files but also develop a

    > sound
    > > backup strategy for the future. Any solid system from IBM, Dell, etc.,

    > would
    > > certainly eliminate the problems of blue screen crashes.
    > >

    > I agree with the first part of your clarification but not at all with your
    > last statement. I have worked in the PC field for some 25 years now,
    > and during this time I noticed that only a miniscule proprortion of all
    > problems were caused by PCs purchased from non-mainstream
    > manufacturers. The vast majority of all problems were software
    > problems. In other words, it would have made no difference if my
    > clients had used a brand-PC.
    >
    > This, of course, is only my personal opinion.

    While agreeing, it does not seem that the OP has the time or energy to
    solve the BSOD problems. Misplacing manuals, driver files, computer
    parts, etc., is quite common. With computers being priced at what they
    are today, replacing the unit would be an alternative in this instance. In
    other words, we might know what to do for our clients and ourselves
    but the OP here does not appear (or want) to have this luxury.

+ Reply to Thread