Thanks a Lot WindowsUpdate - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Thanks a Lot WindowsUpdate - Windows NT ; Well, I made the mistake of downloading the latest security patch (Q823980) to my NT 4.0 box. (I have all but the latest patch). I followed the directions and rebooted... the system is thoroughly hosed now. Outlook Express and Netscape ...

  1. Thanks a Lot WindowsUpdate

    Well, I made the mistake of downloading the latest security patch
    (Q823980) to my NT 4.0 box. (I have all but the latest patch).

    I followed the directions and rebooted... the system is thoroughly
    hosed now. Outlook Express and Netscape both TRAP. IE6 hangs while
    trying to find a web page.

    The most important looking event in the log states that the Remote
    Access stuff couldn't start because the Point to Point communications
    stuff couldn't start. Reason for the P2P error: "...could not load the
    module". Of course, what module would that be?

    The machine is an HP Kayak. Other startup errors are the DLL
    "HPSmartF.dll" could not initialize.
    Then another error window titled "WlxInitalize": "HP Gina specific
    initialization failed. Disable ALL HP lock features"

    Also, the RealDownload process failed to start due to an unspecified
    "serious error". (I assume that RealDownload might have been playing a
    part in the completion of the patch install?) I don't normally use
    Real Download for anything in particular.

    Any ideas? I have uninstalled the patch and still have the same
    errors. WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS PATCH DO TO YOUR SYSTEM????

  2. Re: Thanks a Lot WindowsUpdate

    [This followup was posted to comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc and a copy was
    sent to the cited author.]

    In article <5293d289.0308030639.3afc5be6@posting.google.com>,
    jhartley@carreker.com says...
    > Well, I made the mistake of downloading the latest security patch
    > (Q823980) to my NT 4.0 box. (I have all but the latest patch).
    >
    > I followed the directions and rebooted... the system is thoroughly
    > hosed now. Outlook Express and Netscape both TRAP. IE6 hangs while
    > trying to find a web page.
    >
    > The most important looking event in the log states that the Remote
    > Access stuff couldn't start because the Point to Point communications
    > stuff couldn't start. Reason for the P2P error: "...could not load the
    > module". Of course, what module would that be?
    >
    > The machine is an HP Kayak. Other startup errors are the DLL
    > "HPSmartF.dll" could not initialize.
    > Then another error window titled "WlxInitalize": "HP Gina specific
    > initialization failed. Disable ALL HP lock features"
    >
    > Also, the RealDownload process failed to start due to an unspecified
    > "serious error". (I assume that RealDownload might have been playing a
    > part in the completion of the patch install?) I don't normally use
    > Real Download for anything in particular.
    >
    > Any ideas? I have uninstalled the patch and still have the same
    > errors. WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS PATCH DO TO YOUR SYSTEM????

    Microsoft is aware of the problem with the latest patch and RAS. Check
    their web site for any solutions. Also, use Google or similar. Lots of
    problems with this patch.

    Also, look in Add/Remove programs. It may be uninstallable.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

  3. Re: Thanks a Lot WindowsUpdate

    On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 10:08:26 -0500, Andrew Rossmann
    wrote:

    >[This followup was posted to comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc and a copy was
    >sent to the cited author.]
    >
    >In article <5293d289.0308030639.3afc5be6@posting.google.com>,
    >jhartley@carreker.com says...
    >> Well, I made the mistake of downloading the latest security patch
    >> (Q823980) to my NT 4.0 box. (I have all but the latest patch).
    >>
    >> I followed the directions and rebooted... the system is thoroughly
    >> hosed now. Outlook Express and Netscape both TRAP. IE6 hangs while
    >> trying to find a web page. ....

    > Microsoft is aware of the problem with the latest patch and RAS. Check
    >their web site for any solutions. Also, use Google or similar. Lots of
    >problems with this patch.

    Does anyone know if this been fixed?

    TIA,
    George