Re: Security update 823803 on NT4 kills PPP Engine - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Re: Security update 823803 on NT4 kills PPP Engine - Windows NT ; In article , Young Coot wrote: >Hello, all - > >On NT4 Workstation SP6A; after downloading and installing the security fix >through the WindowsUpdate site I rebooted and here's what happened; first >the "Point To Point Protocol Engine Was Unable ...

  1. Re: Security update 823803 on NT4 kills PPP Engine

    In article ,
    Young Coot wrote:
    >Hello, all -
    >
    >On NT4 Workstation SP6A; after downloading and installing the security fix
    >through the WindowsUpdate site I rebooted and here's what happened; first
    >the "Point To Point Protocol Engine Was Unable To Load the Module", then the
    >RAS services fell like dominos because they all depend on the PPP Engine.
    >LAN services were OK, but I could not go on-line at all.
    >
    >I restored earlier functionality by uninstalling the security fix (thank M$
    >for providing that capability in the "add/remove programs" window). I'm not
    >installing it again until M$ introduces a kinder gentler fix for this issue.
    >
    >This is one sure way to keep your computer from being part of a Denial of
    >Service attack, though - make it so that it can never go on-line!

    Same problem here (NT4 SP6a), except that I was still able to get
    on line via telnet, so the connection itself still existed. My
    only symptom was that IE6 (SP1) stopped working normally. I hadn't
    even bothered to note the Windows Update hotfix numbers, so I went
    to Add/Remove and blindly removed the last two hotfixes, which
    fortunately was the right thing to do (I then reinstalled 823980,
    which didn't cause any problems). I had been warned not to trust
    Windows Update -- that it could be counted on to screw up my machine
    -- but for some silly reason I assumed MS would know what they were
    doing. I will be more careful next time!

    Of course I did have some advance warning: the last time I used
    Windows Update before this time my Critical Updates Package included
    fix 330994: April 2003, Security Update for Outlook Express 5.5SP2.
    This was interesting, because I do not in fact have any version of
    Outlook on my PC! I noticed this after the update failed, but at
    least it didn't do any harm. Still, this served as a warning that
    Windows Update was something less than infallible!

    One question: does NT have a log somewhere showing all your installs
    and uninstalls? It would have been useful to know for sure what
    I had just installed rather than blindly uninstalling hotfixes and
    hoping for the best!

    Also, is there a place somewhere on the Microsoft web site to report
    this sort of thing?
    --
    John Brock
    jbrock@panix.com

  2. Re: Security update 823803 on NT4 kills PPP Engine

    John Brock wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Young Coot wrote:
    > >Hello, all -
    > >
    > >On NT4 Workstation SP6A; after downloading and installing the security fix
    > >through the WindowsUpdate site I rebooted and here's what happened; first
    > >the "Point To Point Protocol Engine Was Unable To Load the Module", then the
    > >RAS services fell like dominos because they all depend on the PPP Engine.
    > >LAN services were OK, but I could not go on-line at all.
    > >
    > >I restored earlier functionality by uninstalling the security fix (thank M$
    > >for providing that capability in the "add/remove programs" window). I'm not
    > >installing it again until M$ introduces a kinder gentler fix for this issue.
    > >
    > >This is one sure way to keep your computer from being part of a Denial of
    > >Service attack, though - make it so that it can never go on-line!

    > Same problem here (NT4 SP6a), except that I was still able to get
    > on line via telnet, so the connection itself still existed. My
    > only symptom was that IE6 (SP1) stopped working normally. I hadn't
    > even bothered to note the Windows Update hotfix numbers, so I went
    > to Add/Remove and blindly removed the last two hotfixes, which
    > fortunately was the right thing to do (I then reinstalled 823980,
    > which didn't cause any problems). I had been warned not to trust
    > Windows Update -- that it could be counted on to screw up my machine
    > -- but for some silly reason I assumed MS would know what they were
    > doing. I will be more careful next time!
    >
    > Of course I did have some advance warning: the last time I used
    > Windows Update before this time my Critical Updates Package included
    > fix 330994: April 2003, Security Update for Outlook Express 5.5SP2.
    > This was interesting, because I do not in fact have any version of
    > Outlook on my PC! I noticed this after the update failed, but at
    > least it didn't do any harm. Still, this served as a warning that
    > Windows Update was something less than infallible!
    >
    > One question: does NT have a log somewhere showing all your installs
    > and uninstalls? It would have been useful to know for sure what
    > I had just installed rather than blindly uninstalling hotfixes and
    > hoping for the best!
    >
    > Also, is there a place somewhere on the Microsoft web site to report
    > this sort of thing?
    > --
    > John Brock
    > jbrock@panix.com

    Same issue here on an NT4 WKS Sp6a machine, but falling back the
    last Windows Update hotfix install and reboot has not resolved the
    problem.

    Event Viewer still shows PTP initialization failure, RAS
    Connection Manager not found, then Desktop displays an NDETECT
    error dialogue box.

    Oddly, Netscape still browses fine, but IE 6.0 is dead in the
    water. Solves the problem of Windows Update, eh?

    - RWM
    --
    R.W. Mann & Company, Inc. >> Airline Industry Analysis
    Port Washington, NY 11050 >> tel 516-944-0900, fax -7280

  3. Re: Security update 823803 on NT4 kills PPP Engine

    Appears more complicated than a single patch-related problem, as
    removing 823803 plus 328310, 815021, 817606 and 819696 has had no
    positive effect on PTP or RAS.
    Looks like an NT Repair may be required, unless someone else comes
    up with the brass ring.

    RWM wrote:

> [...]

    > > jbrock@panix.com

    > Same issue here on an NT4 WKS Sp6a machine, but falling back the
    > last Windows Update hotfix install and reboot has not resolved the
    > problem.
    >
    > Event Viewer still shows PTP initialization failure, RAS
    > Connection Manager not found, then Desktop displays an NDETECT
    > error dialogue box.
    >
    > Oddly, Netscape still browses fine, but IE 6.0 is dead in the
    > water. Solves the problem of Windows Update, eh?
    >
    > - RWM
    > --
    > R.W. Mann & Company, Inc. >> Airline Industry Analysis
    > Port Washington, NY 11050 >> tel 516-944-0900, fax -7280
    > mailto:info@RWMann.com >> URL http://www.RWMann.com/

    --
    R.W. Mann & Company, Inc. >> Airline Industry Analysis
    Port Washington, NY 11050 >> tel 516-944-0900, fax -7280

    This e-mail is for the designated recipient only and may contain
    privileged or confidential information. If you have received it
    in error, please notify the above sender immediately then delete
    the original e-mail. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.

  4. Re: Security update 823803 on NT4 kills PPP Engine

    Reinstalling the current SP6a (as suggested elsewhere) resulted in
    a continuous reboot mode.

    Attempting to boot to Last Good and via ERD were unsuccessful.

    NT Repair from installation CD (during boot, identifies as SP5)
    identified crypt32.dll, certmgr.dll, comcat.dll, cryptlog.dll,
    shfolder.dll, wldap32.dll, xenroll.dll, secauth.hlp and
    regsvr32.exe as problematic and unable to be restored from the NT4
    CD.

    System now Blue screens at User32.dll and does a dump.

    Suggestions?

    Reinstall to new directory?

    - RWM

    RWM wrote:

    > Appears more complicated than a single patch-related problem, as
    > removing 823803 plus 328310, 815021, 817606 and 819696 has had no
    > positive effect on PTP or RAS.
    > Looks like an NT Repair may be required, unless someone else comes
    > up with the brass ring.
    >
    > RWM wrote:
    > >
    > > John Brock wrote:

    > > > Same problem here (NT4 SP6a), except that I was still able to get
    > > > on line via telnet, so the connection itself still existed. My
    > > > only symptom was that IE6 (SP1) stopped working normally. I hadn't
    > > > even bothered to note the Windows Update hotfix numbers, so I went
    > > > to Add/Remove and blindly removed the last two hotfixes, which
    > > > fortunately was the right thing to do (I then reinstalled 823980,
    > > > which didn't cause any problems). I had been warned not to trust
    > > > Windows Update -- that it could be counted on to screw up my machine
    > > > -- but for some silly reason I assumed MS would know what they were
    > > > doing. I will be more careful next time!
    > > >
    > > > Of course I did have some advance warning: the last time I used
    > > > Windows Update before this time my Critical Updates Package included
    > > > fix 330994: April 2003, Security Update for Outlook Express 5.5SP2.
    > > > This was interesting, because I do not in fact have any version of
    > > > Outlook on my PC! I noticed this after the update failed, but at
    > > > least it didn't do any harm. Still, this served as a warning that
    > > > Windows Update was something less than infallible!
    > > >
    > > > One question: does NT have a log somewhere showing all your installs
    > > > and uninstalls? It would have been useful to know for sure what
    > > > I had just installed rather than blindly uninstalling hotfixes and
    > > > hoping for the best!
    > > >
    > > > Also, is there a place somewhere on the Microsoft web site to report
    > > > this sort of thing?
    > > > --
    > > > John Brock
    > > > jbrock@panix.com

    > > Same issue here on an NT4 WKS Sp6a machine, but falling back the
    > > last Windows Update hotfix install and reboot has not resolved the
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > Event Viewer still shows PTP initialization failure, RAS
    > > Connection Manager not found, then Desktop displays an NDETECT
    > > error dialogue box.
    > >
    > > Oddly, Netscape still browses fine, but IE 6.0 is dead in the
    > > water. Solves the problem of Windows Update, eh?
    > >
    > > - RWM

+ Reply to Thread