Re: command line 'find' command - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Re: command line 'find' command - Windows NT ; "Scaramouche" wrote: > is there a way of running find from command line (on an xp box) so that it > searches through many sub-directories for a specific string within a file. Findstr.exe will do what you need. See the ...

  1. Re: command line 'find' command

    "Scaramouche" wrote:
    > is there a way of running find from command line (on an xp box) so that it
    > searches through many sub-directories for a specific string within a file.

    Findstr.exe will do what you need.

    See the "FindStr Page" at
    (http://TheSystemGuard.com/TheGuardBo...xt/FindStr.htm)
    for combined NT/2K/XP/K3 syntax listings.

    -tsg
    TheSystemGuard.com | BoomingOrFuming.com | MountCommands.com
    Free and "Almost Free" Knowledge for Windows System Admins!

  2. Re: command line 'find' command

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:01:24 -0400, guard <^T^S^G^n^e^w^s^@TheSystemGuard.com> wrote:
    > "Scaramouche" wrote:
    >> is there a way of running find from command line (on an xp box) so that it
    >> searches through many sub-directories for a specific string within a file.

    > See the "FindStr Page" at
    > (http://TheSystemGuard.com/TheGuardBo...xt/FindStr.htm)

    Or the classic 'grep'. http://unxutils.sf.net/

    sdb

    --
    | Sylvan Butler | Not speaking for Hewlett-Packard | sbutler-boi.hp.com |
    | Watch out for my e-mail address. Thank UCE. >>>> change ^ to @ <<<< |

+ Reply to Thread