Help - Windows 2000 randomly shutting down, through Normal Win Shut Down - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Help - Windows 2000 randomly shutting down, through Normal Win Shut Down - Windows NT ; Hello, I have a HP Pentium II 400 Mhz computer running Windows 2000, and 128MB Ram, which is connected to a network, but is a client. This computer has randomly shut itself down, but all shut down features of OS ...

  1. Help - Windows 2000 randomly shutting down, through Normal Win Shut Down

    Hello,

    I have a HP Pentium II 400 Mhz computer running Windows 2000, and
    128MB Ram, which is connected to a network, but is a client. This
    computer has randomly shut itself down, but all shut down features of
    OS and BIOS have been disabled.

    Recently this computer shut it self down while we were working in
    Excel. But it did not do a black screen and reset the computer as I
    would expect a bummed power supply to do. It just dumped the Excel
    program and proceeded to perform a shut down just as if you went to
    CTRL+ALT+DEL and told it to shut down.

    Anyways this is a very odd problem and any help would be greatly
    appreciated...Does anyone think a GPF (General Protection Fault) could
    do this, or you would expect to see a failure to display before
    shutting down???

    Thanks,

    Dave

  2. Re: Help - Windows 2000 randomly shutting down, through Normal Win Shut Down

    [This followup was posted to comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc and a copy was
    sent to the cited author.]

    In article ,
    coinsonline@yahoo.com says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a HP Pentium II 400 Mhz computer running Windows 2000, and
    > 128MB Ram, which is connected to a network, but is a client. This
    > computer has randomly shut itself down, but all shut down features of
    > OS and BIOS have been disabled.
    >
    > Recently this computer shut it self down while we were working in
    > Excel. But it did not do a black screen and reset the computer as I
    > would expect a bummed power supply to do. It just dumped the Excel
    > program and proceeded to perform a shut down just as if you went to
    > CTRL+ALT+DEL and told it to shut down.
    >
    > Anyways this is a very odd problem and any help would be greatly
    > appreciated...Does anyone think a GPF (General Protection Fault) could
    > do this, or you would expect to see a failure to display before
    > shutting down???

    Maybe you have a flaky power switch? On most newer computers, when you
    hit the power switch, Win2K will do a fast shutdown. Try hitting your
    power button (don't hold it more than a second or so, or you activate the
    motherboard's emergency power off) and see if it shuts down in a similar
    way. If so, either somebody or something is bumping the button, or it's
    very sensitive.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

+ Reply to Thread